Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Back with Ducati in Denver... is this group dead?

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  KWmach5 
#1 ·
I am back with Ducati after a few years playing with a Thruxton R. I just picked up a 2017 Ducati Monster 1200s. Love it so far and am actually enjoying the winter so I start on the long list of mods I want to do.

Is this sub-forum dead? There doesn't seem to be a lot of recent activity.

I'd like to find a few others to ride with in Denver and the mountains once the weather warms a bit. I used to ride with a few friends but most have moved away, except my dual sport friends and they like the dirt a lot, but our bikes aren't as much fun canyon carving and riding in the city.

Thanks!

#2 ·
welcome. unfortunately i feel like this forum in general is not as active as some others i've participated in. hopefully you can find some community to ride with in denver. i picked up a 2019 1200 s and still own a thruxton r (but probably not for long). i still love the low down torque of the triumph and the cafe looks, but it pales in comparison to the overall performance of the monster. what are your impressions having owned both?

#3 ·
Thanks! I feel the same as you after having both. I am happy with the low end torque on the Monster and it is so much better at speed than the Thrux. My Thrux just seemed to run out of breath at 90 plus. The Monster attempts to kill me and always wants to go faster, like my old M900sie used to as well. I missed that and the character in general of Ducatis.

Also, the Monster handles better than the Thrux did. Not that the Thrux was a slouch, but the Monster is so much fun. What other forums are more active? Is there a better way to find other riders?

#4 ·
Thanks! I feel the same as you after having both. I am happy with the low end torque on the Monster and it is so much better at speed than the Thrux. My Thrux just seemed to run out of breath at 90 plus. The Monster attempts to kill me and always wants to go faster, like my old M900sie used to as well. I missed that and the character in general of Ducatis.

Also, the Monster handles better than the Thrux did. Not that the Thrux was a slouch, but the Monster is so much fun. What other forums are more active? Is there a better way to find other riders?
the 1200 handles like a dream, seems to drop into turns telepathically, and the ohlins soaks ups bumps and is much more compose mid corner. torque is fine, but higher up in the revs. yeah the thruxton isn't strong in the higher revs and runs out of steam fast.

forums for other manufacturers/bikes. i think ducati.ms is similarly not as active. maybe see if your local ducati dealer has events, etc.?

#6 ·
Thanks, its nice to be back on a Duc. I've already replaced the stock mirrors with bar end mirrors. I can actually see now! Next up are the front turn signals (NRC shock mounted ones) and then the exhaust. I am still trying to figure out which exhaust I want. Something deep and rumbling like the Leo Vince's I had on my old M900 would be nice. Probably a new round headlight too, but Motodemic is incredibly expensive for what it is. Then I want I want it to warm up so I can go riding more and maybe hit the track in 2021.

#7 ·
Nice looking bike! Sorry; here in the Aloha state we still ride when it’s cold (60 F). Just kidding, I am sure I’ll be somewhere cold after I leave here for saying that. I would be willing to bet you could probably get an older monster headlight to fit. I could definitely take some measurements off my 2007 Monster S4RS since it has the same Ohlin shocks.

#8 ·
it's funny i contemplated the motodemic light but decided early on it wasn't for me (besides the high price tag). after seeing the oem and the aftermarket round side by side, i think ducati knew what they were doing with they designed that light for this bike. i've seen one other 1200 s owner go for the upgrade and them revert back because it doesn't fit the look of the bike. i ended up putting in a LED bulb for ~$40 which really improved the light output plus match the color of the LED DRLs.

#9 ·
Another Denver rider here. I bought my 821 in December of 2019, but the pandemic prevented me from attending any car or bike gatherings for 2020. Hoping 2021 is a better year for everyone.

speedm - What LED bulb did you use for your headlight? I've done a little searching, but having a tough time finding one that fits.

#10 · (Edited)
See my post here, not 100% sure of fitment to the 821 (should be same bulb spec, if not identical headlight unit) but works great for the 1200:

#11 ·
Hello. I am from Fort Collins. I recently purchased a 696. Which I am about to order a tank cover for. Asone of the side pieces on mine is broke. I would like to do a custom wrap for it. But I am a little leary of where to have it done. As there are a lot of compound curves on a motorcycle vs a camper etc. Someone here on this blog was from Denver and had a camouflage pattern wrap done to their bike. And was very impressed with their work. But now I cannot find that post. Does anyone know who posted that bike, or a good wrap-shop in the Northern Colorado area?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.