Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had back problems for years and I am finding it more and more difficult riding. Sciatic gets aggrevated from all the vibration and bumbs. Anyone have any suggestions. I have stock suspension.. Will ohlins front and rear upgrade minimize the vibration and bumbs etc from stock. Roads where I live are terrible as well and prob. do not help the situation. And no I do not want a cruiser ha ha.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
What kinds of physical therapy have you tried? I suggest getting to the root of your back problems first. I had lower back problems and sciatic pain years ago. I still get the occasional flare up, but I haven't had the sciatic pain again. I went to physical therapy for a few months, doing traction and stretches every day. I still have to stretch every day or the back will give out.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I went to a chiropractor for about a year and it would help temporarily. Moved back to the states and saw a phys therapist who gave me a clue about posture. Turns out that while sitting at a desk I was always leaning forward and hunched over. Apparently that's not good and messes with the discs natural form. Long story short... lower your chair down, lock the recline lever and scoot your butt to the back and use the lumbar support. Fixed me up in a week. Long rides still cramp me up but some toe touches help with that.
Good luck, back pain sucks.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
my Titanium solution

after thinking about it for a while I decided this was the best solution for my back problem , recovery was really faster than I expected , did it in winter ; a week in bed after it , after that 3 months taking it easy , got back on motorbikes after 4 months by spring and back playing football at the 5th month , its been two years and I only regret not doing it before I did.
And the best thing is that they are Titanium !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
after thinking about it for a while I decided this was the best solution for my back problem , recovery was really faster than I expected , did it in winter ; a week in bed after it , after that 3 months taking it easy , got back on motorbikes after 4 months by spring and back playing football at the 5th month , its been two years and I only regret not doing it before I did.
And the best thing is that they are Titanium !!!
Ah titanium plates and screws, I just joined that same club on the 28th. I can't tell from your photo's whether it was L5-S1 or in the C spine area(mine was multilevel C5-6/ C6-7 Fusion). This is an old thread I know, but I just can't resist the sight of titanium surgical screws and plates, it's just like Ducati Red to me for some reason.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I also have back problems -- the lower back where the spine meets the pelvis. The joint is worn out. So my joint would slip out slightly causing me constant pain. The chiropractor helped but the fix was only temporary. I learned to strengthen my back through exercise and stretching. I go to the gym 4 times a week. I freakin' have to. I also recommend an inversion table. It stretches the spine and allows all the discs to fall back into their proper place. I have one and this works for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whenever an investor (i.e. importer or exporter) sets up a trade with Chinese traders, the basic and most important information needed is about the foreign trade resources of the nation. Especially, when you are dealing with a country like China, it is important to consider all the aspects of trading before pursuing the trade. Due to the changing trends of the global economy, China is now being counted as the next emerging superpower with massive strength of foreign trading capacity. Almost every country around the world has been influenced by China's massive import export capacity. The super-market racks are flooded with Chinese products. Starting from electronic gadgets, clothing, toys, plastic goods, fashion accessories, jewelry to footwear, it is China's domination everywhere. Today, every trader wants to import goods from China mainly because of two reasons. Firstly the Chinese market is very lucrative, one gets to buy good quality products at very reasonable prices; secondly superior quality of these products. Along with improvements in export market, import market of the country is also improving. The Chinese manufacturers require several products and raw materials to complete their export orders, this requirement adds up to the volume of their import.
So back problems and riding have something to do with the chinese? I suspected it all along!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm a physical therapist and I ride a 2002 900SS. It's a fairly aggressive bike so I have had to prepare my back for the bike. What I'm about to tell you is real deal information, so pay attention. :D If you ask 10 people about their back pain and the solution that worked for them, you'll hear 10 different stories. One of two will say that it never resolved and that they are still suffering. Though the pain in the back may be common, there are several different reasons as to why the pain is actually occurring. You'll have to get to a "real" physical therapist who will really sort out the reasons and treat you accordingly. In almost all cases, strengthening exercises and stretching exercises will help. There is no way for you to know which exercises are right for YOU until I examine YOU. By "real," I mean someone who won't just put a hot pack and electric stimulation on you followed by a rubdown. You have to have someone who really knows and understands biomechanics and manual therapy. I work in a clinic in NYC with Chiropractors who really know their stuff. These chiropractors aren't the crack em and whack up type either. Let me know what works out for you and feel free to ask me any questions.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Having had major lower back problems following a big accident in 1981, all I can say is drop as much weight as you can (obviously depends on current weight and fitness) and get a modern sportbike as a second ride. Yes, you heard that correctly.

I have an S1000RR, went and did a track day school (Cornerspeed) and the combination with improved fitness has transformed my riding.

It requires you to be more aggressive, will force you to exercise, which will pay off massively when you ride the Ducati. The monsters don't have a comfortable position and anything you can do to improve core strength pays off handsomely. I've given up on making my bikes more comfortable and instead focus on making me fitter to ride.

I'm 49, with sometimes chronic neck and back pain, and dropped 26 lbs in 18 months. Back pain will always be with you but you can do a lot to make time on bike more rewarding instead of constantly battling discomfort.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Having had major lower back problems following a big accident in 1981, all I can say is drop as much weight as you can (obviously depends on current weight and fitness) and get a modern sportbike as a second ride. Yes, you heard that correctly.

I have an S1000RR, went and did a track day school (Cornerspeed) and the combination with improved fitness has transformed my riding.

It requires you to be more aggressive, will force you to exercise, which will pay off massively when you ride the Ducati. The monsters don't have a comfortable position and anything you can do to improve core strength pays off handsomely. I've given up on making my bikes more comfortable and instead focus on making me fitter to ride.

I'm 49, with sometimes chronic neck and back pain, and dropped 26 lbs in 18 months. Back pain will always be with you but you can do a lot to make time on bike more rewarding instead of constantly battling discomfort.
This man speaks the truth. I recently started to do yoga and it's done wonders for my comfort while on the bike. I have a lot of patients who injure themselves with yoga so I took it upon myself to figure it out. I had no idea that it would be such a nice workout. Not to mention... there are some hotties in these classes who are willing to chat after the class.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts