Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alleluia! my brothers and sisters, Alleluia!!

...yesterday, October 12th as of 18:30hrs, I finally had my MONSTER back!!!

This has been a suffering, frustrating, way too long odyssey that has (apparently) come to an end.

....so after months of awaiting, my 800 now has:

new top piston
new valves
new ported heads
new 900ss cams

in addition to

lighten flywheel
open air box
K&N filter
14t front sprocket

The bike runs and SOUNDS like a champ!!! No backfiring, stuttering...nothing! It is REALLY responsive and quite smooth...

I am, anyways, going to have the bike dynoed as soon as i get 3/4 miles on it to brake in the 70% new engine...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Back in black? I though since they had it apprat so long you were going to have them paint it yellow while they were at it [cheeky]

G

·
weeeeeee!!! about frickin' time mang!

now how about some pics! especially ones from the inside of the motor ;)

maybe now with all that engine work you might, just maybe, possibly be able to do a baby wheelie :angel:

[cheeky]

kaveh

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
pt33 said:
maybe now with all that engine work you might, just maybe, possibly be able to do a baby wheelie :angel:

[cheeky]

kaveh
He already admitted at IBN that he can't even wheelie the SBK so I don't think he will get the Monster to do much more than unload the forks ;)

Not that my bike is faster or anything. Since luca could pull away before the 'new' engine. Derby/SteveG/Joe when are you going to run a wheelie class anyway? Your bikes of course ;D

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Finding someplace for a wheelie practice session really would be fun... A couple of times now I've passed places, and thought to myself, "perfect!," only to forget later. Frikkin' disfunctional memory...

MetalDuc said:
He already admitted at IBN that he can't even wheelie the SBK so I don't think he will get the Monster to do much more than unload the forks ;)

Not that my bike is faster or anything. Since luca could pull away before the 'new' engine. Derby/SteveG/Joe when are you going to run a wheelie class anyway? Your bikes of course ;D

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
SteveG said:
Luca, great news! What was the noise, in the end? Last I heard they thought it was a big end bearing, but if you've got it back that must not have been it?
they prolly just put some super heavy oil in it and it went away. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
I heard Del Amo got a deal on some gear oil from some John Deere dealer in Idaho !

::)

(Greg...was it you that I got that from ?)

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Axel Lube usually makes lower end's behave, looks like Motul when it heats up.... [laugh]

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...ha ha

so here is what has happened: mechanic took apart the engine for the 4th time and wanted to make sure the connecting rod+all the related hardwaer was actually the reason fo the "nise"....

so measured all components and found out that all were to spec...

so, all had been tryed (at least once if not twice) and what was not attempted was to doubt the Ducati Manual...

according to such text, pistons are symmetrycal and "turning the piston around" is a common procedure...

turns out m800 pistons, beeing semi-hi comp (domed, thatr is) are NOT symmetrical...

Thanks to the out of the box thinking of the mechanic, the problem was solved, the dycati rep was informed and probably all ducati manuals will be revised. (that is what i was toled...)

Bottom line the bike was in the shop june 17th and for a sum of different reasons i got it out of there yesterday October 12th....i am now happy.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
At least somebody has their bike back. Congrats, bro.

-Dan

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
lucazuma said:
according to such text, pistons are symmetrycal and "turning the piston around" is a common procedure...

turns out m800 pistons, beeing semi-hi comp (domed, thatr is) are NOT symmetrical...
Um that sounds more like a story, Ive never head of pistons being symetrical in anything other than maybe an old domestic car or something with possibly a flat top piston, especially a Hi compression piston. My point is if youve ever seen a Ducati piston usually there are larger cutout for the bigger valves in the heads and usually an arrow denoting front (but not always) Dont get me wrong Luca Im glad they finally figured it out.

Take a look at these pistons as an example.

Mahle
http://ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/img/mahle_2v_95.jpg

JE Drop in Hi comp
http://ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/img/je_kit.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
lucazuma said:
...hmmm...so "turning the piston around" is NOT a "common" procedure?

:mad:
maybe only after you put it in the wrong way to begin with.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.