Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in humid Maryland, my last Duc suffered corrosion even though it was kept in the garage. Does anyone have a common solution to this? Have you tried keeping a dehumidifier going, and/or portable heater during the winter?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Can anyone provide anymore information on this topic please? I'm not fortunate enough to have a garage and I am VERY close to nasy salt laiden air from the ocean. I haven't notices anything OUT of the ordinary (rotors rust up if the bike sits) but I am worried about the posibility.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I keep mine in my house....

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
As mentioned, Boeshield is very good. Lately I've started wiping my fork sliders down with Maxima Chain Wax where they are always exposed below the max compression point and try to get little corrosion spots on the chrome plating. Too soon to tell how well it works.

Brake rotors can't be coated, but they clean themselves every ride, so ride more ;D If it looks like any red oxide is collecting around the calipers from that, just spray it clean with a little brake cleaner periodically to wash away the oxide dust.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Good call on the fork sliders. I have a chrome (I think/thought) freestyle bike that has TOTALLY rusted since we moved by the ocean. Is it normal for "chrome" to TOTALLY rust in like 5 months of being out in those elements?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yep-I run a dehumidifier in the garage,i have a two car garage and i divided the garage by partioning 1/4 of it off with 2x1 timber frame covered with visqueen (quite thick plastic sheet off a roll used by builders etc for damp proof membrane).Both my bikes sit in there with the dehumidifier,and the humidity is normally about 40%,-It also has the bonus of keping the dust off the bikes if your doing any house type diy in there

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
greetings. a little more technical B.S. in case anyone is interested. chrome is very prone to corrosion (generally of the pitting variety) .... its actually
not a very good protectant layer. the accepted (by the auto industry) fix is a multi-layer plate consisting of nickel under the chrome. the chrome in this case is electrochemically less stable and corrodes preferentially. the result is pitting which penetrates the chrome and not the nickel ... but ya gotta have both layers to make it work. if you leave the chrome off, the nickel will pit almost as easily as unprotected chrome. another interesting tidbit is that the outer chrome layer in the bi-layer system is typically applied so that it is loaded with tiny cracks (so-called micro-cracked chrome). This tends to distribute the corrosion so that it isn't concentrated in a single spot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts