Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What numbers do you usually have the RPM's at during a ride.
I have heard with cars that riding near the redline every so often helps to clean up the carbs and injectors. Is that BS?

Tom.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I run around 6500 on the backroads, shifting at maybe 8500. highway use a bit lower, riding between stoplights in traffic I short shift, around 4000. I very, very seldom hit the limiter.
And pull the clutch in, decelerating in front of the cops!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I love to hear my engine rev! they are made to be reved to the limiter. especially 4 valve motors. When im at the track, i never really hit the limiter, but rev to about 9,500 to 10,000 on my old 916. im still running in my S4R and take it to about 6,000 rpm. if you keep fresh oil in them, you wont damage the motor by reving it.
A freind of mine has done 60,000 km (about 45,000 miles) on his 996, all at the track!! & still going strong.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I also usually stay below 6k. First of all I am scared of hurting the bike, and second of all I am scared of being pulled over for being too loud. Correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty much all aftermarket pipes are illegal for use off the track right? I remember the Termi's on my old 750 (actually newer than my current 900, but I owned it longer ago, so its old) said 'for track use only' on them.

From now on, after reading this thread, I will at least not let fear of hurting the bike keep me in the lower rpms anymore...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I also usually stay below 6k. First of all I am scared of hurting the bike, and second of all I am scared of being pulled over for being too loud. Correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty much all aftermarket pipes are illegal for use off the track right? I remember the Termi's on my old 750 (actually newer than my current 900, but I owned it longer ago, so its old) said 'for track use only' on them.

From now on, after reading this thread, I will at least not let fear of hurting the bike keep me in the lower rpms anymore...
pansie ;).
just kiddin bud. dont worrry about the bike unless u ride close to the red line for most of the time ur not hurtin her. and even if u did ur not really hurting her but just makin the valve adjustment interval shorter.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always run about 5k, when riding hard I may see 7.5k but, I rarely need more than that. And, don't be afraid to shift to save engine wear.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd say mostly 4000-7500. Less than 4k is pretty useless and usually lags the engine. I put a 14T front sprocket on this weekend so that might change. It's snowing now so I can't test her out .. :(

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I rarely ride below 4500rpm, it lugs the engine and there is no power. On the freeway I usually cruise around 5500. In the twisties it's 6500-9500 consistently. I've ridden at 6500+ for over half hour at a time, no problems. In fact I rev to the redline virtually everyday doing at least one wheelie. After 13k miles in 13 months no problems, bike runs like a champ.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
So just so I know, there is no redline right? Basically when the rev limiter kicks in, you know that you just reached the redline, but other than that you are free to go as high as you want right?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am glad I asked. I was running around 3-4.

It has a rev limiter. Good to know.

A higher rev just looses a little in gas mileage, correct?

Thanks guys,

Tom.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
well since mine is a 94, pre tach model, I ride from when the stuttering ends to where the front wheel touches back down to the pavement. that's my shift point. :D

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
What about long term engine wear though? I heard one time that engines don't so much have a limited number of miles in them, but a limited number of rpms (from Cartalk on NPR).

Doesnt riding at 6k consistently mean your bike will last half as long as a person who rides at 3k by that logic?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts