Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks :D

I am looking to putting up some nice bright driving lights to help illuminate the road ahead.

The stock headlight (06 S2R) is not really that penetrating with the deer / joggers and all around here.

Two questions

1 - Can the stock electrical system support a decent set of lights or will I have issues

2 - If 1 is OK, what brand/setup have people used ?

I am thinking of ones that mount low on the forks

Mark

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Look at firstly upgrading to a better bulb (brighter whiter light, not necessariliy more Watts), or HID. Search both topics as they have been covered before, HID is a massive improvement.
Most people are of the opinion that the factory electrical system only just keeps up with what ducati put on from the factory, so if you go bigger you might run into issues. Or alternatively make sure everything is run through relays, and not from the main wiring harness. There is a few threads you can search for covering this aswell. - Chris

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
I am not 100% whether you are talking about replacing the stock light or adding to it.

I added a set of fog lights (for cars).

It's the autozone special for $17. no name brand 55W H1 bulbs, yellowish tinted glass. I wired them up to the stock headlight, no dimming noticed or other issues.

light output is a little better, but only because I was able to raise the regular headlight up a bit, and focus the fogs on low and sides.

The biggest difference is the extra attention I get from other drivers. So far, less pull out attempts to cut me off.

Q

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
qfactor said:
I added a set of fog lights (for cars).

It's the autozone special for $17. no name brand 55W H1 bulbs, yellowish tinted glass. I wired them up to the stock headlight, no dimming noticed or other issues.

Q
Its a working solution, but have you thought about the fact that the extra current draw for these new lights is palcing extra strain on your electrical/charging system and the extra current running through the wiring harness is likely to be exceeding the current capacity if the cable to your headlights?
This extra current causes heat stress and makes the insulation on the cables go brittle. You run the risk of an electrical short or constant fuse blow outs. Ducati aren't exactly know for great electricals to begin with... Just food for thought mate [thumbsup]. - Chris

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
Syd-Monster said:
Its a working solution, but have you thought about the fact that the extra current draw for these new lights is palcing extra strain on your electrical/charging system and the extra current running through the wiring harness is likely to be exceeding the current capacity if the cable to your headlights?
This extra current causes heat stress and makes the insulation on the cables go brittle. You run the risk of an electrical short or constant fuse blow outs. Ducati aren't exactly know for great electricals to begin with... Just food for thought mate [thumbsup]. - Chris
according to my calculations, I am only drawing a total maximum of 13.75 amps from the headlight wiring, it's "protected" by the stock 15amps fuse.
those results are assuming the lights are 55watts each. I contacted the manuf. about that. I also fused the light wires w/ a 5amp fuse & block just before the connection w/ the headlight wiring.

either way, I used some large gage wires for everything, along with quality connectors, got rid of all the cheap stuff included in the kit.

should be set, wires get warm at best after a long ride.

Q

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.