Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the story. I did all the upgrades and started the bike at various points. I installed an evolutions bypass kit and started the bike a number of times. Since then the only thing I have done is to move the handle bars a little forward until I get my replacement parts and installed frame sliders. I go to start the bike, I get horn, lights, blinker, but no starter action at all. Push the button and nothing. I checked the battery and fuses. Battery was about 12.3. Put it on the charger over night now reads 12.98. Put battery back in bike and still same lights, horn and no starter action. I am now at a lose. Any ideas?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Im right there with you man, check my thread right below yours. Here are the possible culprits so far, solenoid, starter, starter relay, or (and I hope this is the case with mine) bad main ground. You can run a wire straight from the positive terminal on you battery to the terminal on the starter and it should throw a spark and start up (key on, dont worry about pressing the start button) if it starts this way it is a problem somewhere from your start button to the starter. If it wont start you have the starter or sprag or ground to worry about. Let me know how you come out cause mine has the same symptoms.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I'm sure you've checked, but I have had this happen more than once and it took me a few minutes to find that I had somehow hit the kill switch and put it in the Off position. Especially if you pushed your thumb across it while adjusting the bars.

M

·
0 Posts
Mark, that's a great (and funny) suggestion. I'll bet it's happened to everyone at least once. If that isn't the problem you have to look at things that changed between the time it started and the time it didn't, which in this case involves moving the bars. Sounds like you've managed to effect one of the switches - possibly the on/off switch. You don't mention whether you're getting any "click" out of the starter when you try to start it or not so I'm assuming you've got dead silence. If you're getting a click out of the starter then you've either got low battery juice, bad starter relay, bad starter solenoid, or poor connection at the starter. Good luck!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: No clicks just dead silence. I have also lost my front brake light action as well. The thing that seem new is that when I turn the key off I hear a gurgling sound near the insturment panel that I have never hear before. I checked the stand bypass not the problem, I readjusted the bars no good. I know my starter is good, because they just don't go like magic. The battery is good pushing 13v. I would think battery if I got clicking noise for a while but I get nothing. Is there a relay inbetween the starter and the switch. Oh and thinks for pointing out the obvious, but the kill switch was alway in the on postion.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yes, there is a starter relay under the seat and a solenoid under the battery tray. Both of these are between the starter and the switch. The relay is just a little cube (some are gold, mine is black and yellow) and the solenoid is round and gold (at least on my bike) But it sounds more like a ground problem cause you are having some other electrical issues. If it was the relay or solenoid everything else would work fine it just wont start. Can you push start it?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, there is a starter relay under the seat and a solenoid under the battery tray. Both of these are between the starter and the switch. The relay is just a little cube (some are gold, mine is black and yellow) and the solenoid is round and gold (at least on my bike) But it sounds more like a ground problem cause you are having some other electrical issues. If it was the relay or solenoid everything else would work fine it just wont start. Can you push start it?

I haven't tried that yet, raining in Portland.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
my guess is you are loosing power between the right hand switch and the relay (the one under the seat thatDTMsurf mentioned). check for 12 v at terminal 85 with the starter button depressed. 86 is ground. 81 should have power wih the key on. 87 r/y to solenoid. 87 r back to key switch. before anything check all fuses.

there is a good possibility there is a break in the harness or a bad connection from the rt side switch along the steering tube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts