Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my helmet fogging.

I don't want to stop breathing and I don't want to put another layer of plastic on my visor. I want to find a helmet that doesn't fog.

Does such a thing exist?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know.. I'm not interested in fog city... I've checked out a few friends' helmets with the inserts and did not like the "storm window" effect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hrm no one seemed to mention that....

how distracting was it?

oh yeah.. i use a paste called Kat Krap, sold for skiers
It will not eliminate fog but it does prevent the buildup, clears very very quickly after forming.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How distracting?

I suppose it depends. My friends think I'm crazy that the dual-screen bothers me.

But then again, I'm the type that can't have raindrops on the visor either. I like to apply rain-x to the outside to help the water flow off more quickly. I have a hard time keeping my eyes focused down-range when I can "see" something right in front of me.

That's why when my visor gets dirty, I flip it up and ride with my eyes watering behind my sunglasses until I have to stop to gas up/clean the visor.

I'm actually awestruck by my friends who can ride with dirty, road-grime specked visors at dusk with oncoming headlights glaring at us. I find that combination blinding which is why I always ride with glasses on in case I have to flip the visor)

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Rain-X makes an anti-fog product.

Acccording to a description I found of it...
"Rain X Anti-Fog ends fogging, misting, and steaming of interior glass, plastic, and mirrors. Rain X Anti-Fog will clean and treat the surface to prevent condensation for prolonged periods under the most extreme conditions. Specially formulated to be applied as, and when needed. Just put a few drops on a small cloth or tissue, and wipe across the surface for an instant end to fogging, misting, and steaming. Works great to keep bathroom mirrors, eye glasses, helmet visors, scuba masks, windshields, and mirrors clean, and fog-free."

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have been using Fog City inserts in my old helmet for a while. I just bought a new helmet and I decided to try it without the Fog City for a bit. Fogging is obviously an issue. However, I didn't realize just how much distortion and odd light the Fog City caused until I rode without one. I WILL NOT be putting one in my new helmet. Instead, I just ordered one of these:

Respro Foggy Anti-Fog Mask

I hope it works.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hrm thats kinda nifty... wonder how well a bacalava (sp?) does to reduce fogging. I need one for these colder days, neck gets chilled.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
The Rain X no fog (Fog X) stuff works pretty well. You have to constantly reapply it though (I do it about once a week). At first I thought the stuff sucked because I was getting fog so I didn't reapply it. Boy was I wrong. The stuff does work, just not 100%

I haven't found anything better although I have been told Cat Crap or Kat Crap or however it is spelled works better. I'll try that when this bottle runs out.

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Motorex Viso-Clean works great. It's has an anti-misting agent and comes in a small wet wipe/dry wipe package (6 packages per kit) so you can keep them in your pocket.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Get an open face helmet. They don't fog from breath, and if they fog from , uh, fog, wipe the shield off inside or out with your thumb.

-Don

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I use Fog Off spray myself. I apply it about once a week or so. Unless it is really humid or raining to beat all it works perfectly.

Alternatively you could look for a snowmobile helmet. I believe they come with double pane face shields which prevent fogging. Plus they're supposed to be quite a bit warmer than your standard full-face helmet.

Uncle_Duck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i think this is a most excellent point. If you land on your back the open face protects your brain about as well as a full face but otherwise, its an important piece thats just hanging out there.

At work a coworker of mine took two weeks off last year to ride to Sturgis with his father. Very nice trip until a car kicked up a asphalt pebble into his cheek. Not only did it dig in pretty well but also chipped his tooth.

Riding with the visor up is almost as bad, I was riding one day at a leisurly pace near home. A big bumble bee came up and slammed into my visor right in front of my right eye. I wear glasses so I had some extra protection but I know if I didnt have the visor and glasses I probably would not have an eye. It hit hard enough to ring my ears.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
My newer HJC AC-11 helmet came with a nice nose piece that virtually eliminates fog unless you're either stopped or breathing hard. But then again, unless it's raining enough to sting my face my visor is always open, so it doesn't bother me as much. I just don't feel comfortable wearing a helmet with the visor closed for some reason.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
With shipping, it came out to $26.45. I expect it to arrive tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll let you guys know how it works first chance I get.

I linked the company's website before, but you can also buy it here:

www.toolexperts.com

1 - 20 of 31 Posts