Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember the first gen Monsters. Epic looks that harkened back the an era of road racing when superbikes had little headlight fairings & exposed motors. Only they were better, because progress & that amazing V twin. I even got to ride a 1st gen S4 Senna once. But the S4R was a truly lust-worthy thing. Every time I entertained the idea of buying a new bike, I'd always do a Monster search. I kept looking & did some homework. I even rode a 2015 1200S to make sure it was what I didn't want.

Not crazy about the white or red S4RS bikes I was looking at, I decided to push color preferences down the priority list. I found a black one in FL that was just perfect. And over budget. And LOADED with goodies from the aftermarket.

My bud & I headed out on a bro"d trip to pick her up last weekend. I even got a nice, extended test ride from Homasassa to Perry, FL, on the scenic highway. I own an effing Ducati! 5500 miles, Rizoma rearsets, Brembo master cylinders, the entire Speedy Moto catalog, damper, QD exhaust, & BST carbon wheels. Pretty sure the previous owner did the ECU mod as there is a high flow air filter & gold alloy velocity stacks. I'm over the moon for this thing & cannot wait to get a fairing back on it up front to complete the look. Meet my new mistress. Que Bella!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice. I constantly watch cycletrader for these bikes and saw that one while it was for sale. Looks like a great bike. Personally, I think it looks better without the bikini fairing, but that's just me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a grey/ red Rt for sale in NJ that has incorrect mileage reported. His title said "exempt" & he pushed it like that was no big deal. VIN check came back showing approx 6K more than the current odometer reading. I passed on it. The other grey/ red Rt in FL had tank issues. Super stoked I found this one w nothing shady .

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was lucky to have found mine just two hours away. It was advertised on Craigslist. It had some mods I didn't love but the seller said all stock parts were included so I was intrigued. It was for sale for a few weeks and then the ad went away so I assumed it had been sold. Then a couple days later it popped back up at a lower price so I contacted the guy about it. Turns out he was the original owner, it had a brand new tank, all stock parts were indeed included, and all keys, code card, and records were with it as well. The problem was this was the middle of the week and the guy had other people coming to look at it as well now and I wouldn't be able to come see the bike for two days. So I had him send me some more detailed pics and a couple vids of it running. Scariest thing I've ever done was transfer money to him for the bike so that nobody else could buy it, lol. The risk paid off and when I went to pick up the bike a day later it was exactly what I wanted. I trailered a beautiful bike home with a truck bed full of stock parts in boxes that went with it. I still watch CL and Cycletrader just to see what's out there and to keep up on where the value of these things goes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good, and I see a 1200 in the background.
Yeah man, that is my bud on the floor working on his 1200R. He really pushed me back into riding & was stoked when I started shopping for a preowned Duc. I'm keeping it in his well-sorted garage until we tackle my garage remod next week. Then it comes home. He & I are also building a couple of CRF 450X's into dual sport, light adv bikes for some off road adventures, & ultimately, Baja for my 50th bday next year. Surf the asphalt & roost the turf. Life is good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man I had to trust the guy wouldn't sell this one. He said he was an honest guy & would hold it until I got there. I spoke with him every.2-3 days just to make sure he was still in & I was lucky my bud was able to make the drive with me. The original owner bough this thing & went nuts with all the mods. Nothing was left alone. Then the 2nd owner bought it, loved it, & rode it. He was older & stopped riding it as much the past couple of years. Sadly, he unexpectedly died not long ago. A riding buddy of his & independent shop owner was selling off all his bikes for the widow. Unfortunately he did not find any stock parts, except maybe the original bars. I didn't mind paying the premium if only because a lot of those parts were ones I would have gladly done in time. Factor in the ultra low mileage & it was an easy decision. I am sure the tank is uncoated, so that will be a priority before long.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Man I had to trust the guy wouldn't sell this one. He said he was an honest guy & would hold it until I got there. I spoke with him every.2-3 days just to make sure he was still in & I was lucky my bud was able to make the drive with me. The original owner bough this thing & went nuts with all the mods. Nothing was left alone. Then the 2nd owner bought it, loved it, & rode it. He was older & stopped riding it as much the past couple of years. Sadly, he unexpectedly died not long ago. A riding buddy of his & independent shop owner was selling off all his bikes for the widow. Unfortunately he did not find any stock parts, except maybe the original bars. I didn't mind paying the premium if only because a lot of those parts were ones I would have gladly done in time. Factor in the ultra low mileage & it was an easy decision. I am sure the tank is uncoated, so that will be a priority before long.
Well it has nice parts for sure. Those wheels alone are worth a lot of coin. I'm not planning on coating the inside of my tank. I just plan to continue running non-ethanol fuel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to try to do the same, or simply drain bad **** out. Fortunately, we have nearly year round riding here in SE Texas, so it won't sit long.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You can’t count on finding good fuel when you need it when your bike chugs it like these do. I have an ethanol free station 5 miles either direction from my house yet I’ve had to stop for fuel elsewhere almost every time I ride. I only buy enough to get me home. One time I filled it, thinking I was riding the next day. Didn’t happen, two weeks went by , and the tank swelled. They swell quick but shrink slow. That’s why I coated my tank last winter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can’t count on finding good fuel when you need it when your bike chugs it like these do. I have an ethanol free station 5 miles either direction from my house yet I’ve had to stop for fuel elsewhere almost every time I ride. I only buy enough to get me home. One time I filled it, thinking I was riding the next day. Didn’t happen, two weeks went by , and the tank swelled. They swell quick but shrink slow. That’s why I coated my tank last winter.
For sure. How tough is it to use the Caswell's stuff & did you use their "masking agent" to protect the paint? More importantly, did it help?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I didn’t even know they had a masking agent. I taped everything off and was vewy, vewy, careful. I hate to say it, but I have no idea if it actually did any good. My tank didn’t swell last year, but was it because of the tank coating or because I was careful about not leaving ethanol fuel in the tank ? The world may never know. If I have to put ethanol in the tank, I put about a gallon and a half in it. That will get me home and then to a station with pure gas. I think I mentioned that a quart of Caswells didn’t cover as well as I had hoped. I wish I’d had another pint. There were some thin areas. That was probably my fault, I should have worked faster and apparently didn’t tumble the tank evenly enough to get a uniform coat. So far, so good. The tank coating was done so that when I inevitably had to use ethanol I had a reasonable chance to not swell the tank. I still wouldn’t use ethanol fuel except in emergency.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts