Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have arrow slip ons with the cat, just got a mid pipe and was wondering if i will need to get a new ecu and tune if i get rid of the udder?. my guess it'll run fine, anyone else do this, i dont have any airbox mods. its on a s2r800

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I have arrow slip ons with the cat, just got a mid pipe and was wondering if i will need to get a new ecu and tune if i get rid of the udder?. my guess it'll run fine, anyone else do this, i dont have any airbox mods. its on a s2r800
I did not have good luck with the midpipe. My '06 S2R popped like hell on decel with it installed. I'm told the popping is a sign of lean fuel/air mixture (result of less back pressure from the modified exhaust system) and over time this can affect (shorten) life of your valve guides. This seems like sound reasoning but I confess I'm no expert. The dealer suggested installing a Power Commander III which was about $600 with configuration / mapping at the time. I didn't want to spend that much and took a pass. I've been running Arrow slip ons only and it runs great with no popping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea thats what i was afraid of, down the line I am planning on a powercommander/airbox and such but as of now just wanted to see if it can work with just the midpipe. i try it out anyways for a bit, run it for a week or so and then if it's giving me hell then ill just take it off and save it for the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yea thats what i was afraid of, down the line I am planning on a powercommander/airbox and such but as of now just wanted to see if it can work with just the midpipe. i try it out anyways for a bit, run it for a week or so and then if it's giving me hell then ill just take it off and save it for the future.
If you speak to Jeff at MonsterParts he will recommend a FATDUC O2 Manipulator. This will richen the mixture at the low end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup, im looking into that as well, so far the best bang for the buck, did some searching yesterday and it seems that fatduc is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
yup, im looking into that as well, so far the best bang for the buck, did some searching yesterday and it seems that fatduc is the way to go.
A friend installed the FatDuck on his Sport Classic and it helped eliminate a low end hesitation. He's running stock exhaust system.

Whether or not it works for you depends on the model year of your bike. I think the FatDuck 02 manipulator interfaces with the 02 sensor. My S2R is an '06 and does not have a sensor. If your bike is a later year and it has the sensor, then FatDuck may be the answer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i called Jeff a couple days ago, and the o2 manipulator will not work, i have an 05, the best way would be a powercommander if i need it, it might just work fine without it. we'll see in a couple months

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I had a marving mid-pipe with stock, then Arrow Slip-ons, but added a DP ecu when I got the slip-ons... Now I have a full Arrow system. When running the just the mid-pipe it only seemed to pop on decel.... it was only that way for a bit, I didn't like the sound (I wanted LOUDER!)

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I just picked up an '06 S2R 1000 and am in the process of putting a full exhaust on it and eliminating the cat. The guy I bought the exhaust from also sold me his Rapid Bike3 computer (PowerCommander type thing) and I'm a couple of hours away from getting this completed. I'll let you know how it worked out.
Also, I was turned onto this site where you can get a race ECU for your exhaust for less money than the DP unit.
DesmoPorsche.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts