Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Frasers at Homebush on Sat and looked at the new model bikes.

To my shock I was looking at a 2007 S2R1000 and it had a wet clutch! :eek:

Looks like the noise police have finally caught up on the click clacks!

Rob

·
Registered
208 Posts
It is only of late that I have been introduced to the joy of a dry clutch, but I quickly became a devotee. Now, too soon, they have been taken away :'(

Exhaust gas emmisions standards: good, we should have more of them.
Noise emmissions: this is messing with long held traditions. This is yet another erosion of 'family values' (not quite sure how, but don't let that get in the way) that should be fought at the stockades.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am sooooo glad I just bought myself the 06 S2R 1000 - This is amazing - they are putting in the wet clutch and not even putting in a slipper clutch - ouch!

·
Registered
241 Posts
r_usty said:
I am sooooo glad I just bought myself the 06 S2R 1000 - This is amazing - they are putting in the wet clutch and not even putting in a slipper clutch - ouch!
Slipper in a "commuting" bike? WTF? Whatever?

I think the wet clutch is a logical move. It does make it easier on fatigue. It also brings maintainance costs down. This is ducatis new angle. Pay less for service whilst they build the bikes cheaper as well.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am pretty sure that the s2r 1k still has a dry clutch. I was just at my local duc dealer and was taking a look, still dry. I would be pretty upset if they got rid of it since I am looking to get a 1k in Feb or Mar. I also want a black one with the new black wheels. IT BETTER BE DRY, which I am positive it is.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Juzzie said:
Slipper in a "commuting" bike? WTF? Whatever?
Sounds like you have too much money - But hey if I could afford it I would have an S2R 1k as a commuter and a desmosedici for the track and say a ST3 for touring....

Anyway, back to the thread - I rang Frasers just to check and spoke to the Sales Manager and he confirmed that 2007 S2R 1k's have wet clutches - he was not sure if they would be similar to the 800 and 695 with the APTC system though as he had not riden one.

The specs on all the websites still say dry clutch - I guess we will just have to wait and see.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I've seen two 2007 S2R 1000's in the last couple of weeks. One at Ducati Seattle. Both had dry clutches. Good thing because I am getting mine in February, I would be very disappointed with a wet clutch...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
gRsChA said:
What is the advantage/appeal of a dry clutch other than the traditional sound?
A couple of things:
- Less power loss, compared to a dry clutch. This is minimal, though Ducati's racing heritage pretty much demanded it.
- The dust from the clutch plates doesn't swirl around in your engine oil.
- Looks :)
- People always ask you if your bike is broken. This is a plus if hot girls ask you this :)

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I called a guy that was selling his 01 1000. First thing he told me was, "mate, it has a dry clutch and it's NOISY!" ....he said a few people had gone to have a look at it and they all said...holy crap, what's that ? what's wrong with your clutch ? " [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

I said to him, not to worry, it was one of my buying criteria !

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
mostro900 said:
I called a guy that was selling his 01 1000. First thing he told me was, "mate, it has a dry clutch and it's NOISY!" ....he said a few people had gone to have a look at it and they all said...holy crap, what's that ? what's wrong with your clutch ? " [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

I said to him, not to worry, it was one of my buying criteria !
I rode the Monster to/from Oregon this summer (1400 mile round trip) and someone commented on it at every other petrol station I pulled into.

Explaining dry clutches to hot girls and other bikers: good [thumbsup]
Explaining that your bike ain't broken to hillbilly/bogan mechanics every 100 miles: bad ::)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts