Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about trying a stock bikini fairing just to see if it will reduce wind buffeting, even if it's only partial relief.

I need some opinions from folks who have them, or better yet have compared Monsters with and without.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I just put one on, as my 02 750 is a dark version that did not come with a fairing. I would have to say modification is a must to keep it from flapping in the wind. I read a post a while back with a good idea; take hollow brass or other metal tubing, cut to length, pound flat on both ends and drill and a hole and paint to a desired color. Mount these to the fairing at the top and to the lower screws where it mounts on the headlight bracket. Have yet to do this but know it should work well.

If the person who suggested this originally reads this, let us know how it is working.

Hope this helps... :D

scooby ;D

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Oh yeah; the fairing does only so much to deflect wind. A taller screen would make it better, but I think the late model bikini fairing is pretty kool looking and and is worth having for the koolness factor alone.

My .02 worth...

scooby ;D

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The old style like that that was offered back in '95 is quite good. It doesn't flap around like the new style. Hopefully you can still get them.

However I found it difficult to tuck behind the screen with stock bars. With clip-ons I can lay on the tank bag and cruise comfortably at 100. Well I COULD, not that I WOULD ;D

M

·
0 Posts
Well I've got an '03 and I never figured what people complained about. My fairing isn't exactly firmly planted (only held by 2 bolts on the headlight casing), but it doesn't "flap around in the wind". I've never taken it off, so I can't speak to the difference it makes. I would think it's noticeable, but probably not huge. It's not large enough to tuck behind. A tall windscreen would help. I keep it on because I think it improves the look of the bike.

S

·
0 Posts
morpheus,
how tall are you and have you ridden your monster past 45mph?! (no offense here!!)
i'm only about 5' 9" and at speeds over 45-50mph, i found my s4's fairing to bob at a rather distracting rate. resulted in buffetting that was inconsistent enough that i felt more comfortable with it removed altogether.
bracing it as described by scooby is prolly the "smarter" solution but i like the look without it anyways ;)

S

·
0 Posts
I got a 2003 also and mine don't seem to flap at all. Even at 80 mph nothing. So I am not really sure what flapping you guys are talking about either.

travis

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Da flappin seems to be the the top edge of the fairing moving 1/8" to a 1/4" back and forth at speed. Mine is a DP CF fairing and is very thin and light; never seen a plastic (or whatever they are made of) stock fairing, but have heard the flapping is a general complait... ??

Comments out there?

R

·
0 Posts
no flap at any speed......yellow plastic kind......
no mods done.....it must depend which one you get........

·
Registered
117 Posts
It does offer some protection compared to no fairing at all.

Flapping - mine seems not too bad ('00 750), but on my friend's '00 900 it flaps much more, don't know why - different plastics used maybe?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I like how mine works, but I've never taken it off to see what it's like without it...

The level of protection is good for me, and I'm 6'1". Just enough coverage to keep me from being peeled off, but still enough wind to take the pressure off of my hands and arms.

It does flap around a little, more an irritant than a problem. For me anyway.

If you want a taller screen, or want a colored one:

http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/sportbikes/ducati_sptbks/708.htm

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I actually went back and forth between keeping the fairing (larger one on the 99 models) and taking it off. I commute daily and actually prefer the bike without it. For one, I felt it doesn't really provide that much extra in the way of wind protection. And two, I personally think the bike looks better without it. I usually commute at a decent clip (avg speed 80)
and am 6ft tall and the wind sheer differnce between the 2 wasn't all that different. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I noticed a big differnce at non-legal speeds but cruising at 100kph, not much difference. The fairing keeps the wind off my chest but does nothing for around my head. I have the old fairing on a 2001 M750. To use the old fairing you need to relocate the signal lights.

In the end, the higher the speed the more it helps, but it does not offer full wind protection. My old style fairing is rock solid stable up to the top speed of the bike.

I considered a zero gravity, but the plexiglass only ones remind me too much of harleys....

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I've gone back and forth with my bike, putting the original bikini fairing on, then taking it off, then putting it on again. I've also tried a larger plexiglass windscreen as well. If you want serious wind protection, a larger windscreen (kind of like the one on the 99 Monster City) makes a big difference.

As for how much difference the bikini fairing makes, I've finally come to the conclusion that it DOES make a difference at speeds over 40-50 mph. It's currently on my bike.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I'll agree that if I sit bolt upright, it does little. But as I said above, I have clip-ons. When I'm doing 80 or over, I get low over the tank, forearms parallell to the ground (maybe even lower) and the fairing then makes a BIG difference.

At 100 or more, there's a big lift on my helmet, but I can tell that it's a small percentage of what I'd get without it.

At 120, I feel like if I lift my head an inch, it'll get ripped off! I've never tested that theory.

H

·
0 Posts
Hey, I have an 03 and don't have a problem with the fairing flapping. I don't really spend much time looking down at it, though. I agree that it does provide a bit of protection, as evidenced by the bugs it seems to atract!
Hey Don, check out the new Shoei X-11 in reference to your "helmet lift". I bought one a few months ago, and 120mph causes no lift. The helmet does have a goofy little spoiler on the back, though.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
I thought the stock fairing (CF on the Foggy) bounced around too much. Also, at speed, it has a tendency to lay down a bit reducing it's effectiveness.

I made some fairing stays out of 1/8 x 1/2 aluminum. The bottom of the stays, I bolted to the fluid reservoir mounts points on the controls (stock bars) and mounted my fluid reservoirs to the stays themselves. Another thing I did, I made the stays a half inch longer, which boosts the wind some two inches higher on my chest. If you use a 15cc reservoir for the brake side like I did, it is very important to change fluid frequently.

The first pic is with the stock bars. The second pic is with my new CycleCats.

H

·
0 Posts
Your too cool, infoage1! Nice job. Cycle cats have that cool retaining screw in the bar ends, your the first person I've seen put them to good use.
I guess the CF fairing must flex a bit more than the plastic one.

H

·
0 Posts
Wait a minute!! Are those ZIP TIES I see??? I take back all that nice stuff I said!! ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts