Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called AAA insurance to get a quote for a '01 750 and they freaked out when I told them it was a Ducati. They said they can't insure Ducati's because they are too dangerous. Can you believe that? How is one motorcycle more dangerous than another because of it's name?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just go to the next idiot.

G

·
that just sounds rediculous. either call another company, or if you're intent on AAA, call again and ask to speak to a supervisor and ask for an explaination.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
s4strati, I was talking to the supervisor. Their explaination was that they're too high of a risk. So far it looks like I'll end up sticking with progressive unless I can find a better deal somewhere else.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The only reason that I could come up with is they dont like to insure Ducati's or any other Italian made bikes because of the high price of repairs and labor. They wont make as much $$$ on claims because the bikes repair costs are so much higher than if you were to get a dime-a-dozen jap bike.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Sounds to me like a lot of first time buyers are getting that model, dropping it, and filing claims. All the insurance company sees are the $$$$ flying out the window for claims. This will inevitably make the monster uninsurable. They don't see the bike or the rider, they see the money.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Maybe Chris is on to something :-/

So from now on, when a newbie comes on for advice on what to buy for a first bike, we STEER HIM/HER TO A RICE BURNER!

only way to keep our rates within reason in the long run ;D

G

·
Re: Are Ducatis too dangerous?

I ran into the same thing with my Farmers agent when I insured my S4R. It's almost twice what my RC-51 costs and they have the same displacement and the RC has all that expensive plastic. I think that the insurance companies used 9/11 to pad their pockets and I think that they look at who is most likely to pay the higher rates based on research of new bike costs and they saw that Ducati buyers on whole are better off than others and decided to take advantage of us. It's also telling that Ducati parts are way more expensive than other brands as well, so from that viewpoint Ducati is as much a part of the problem as the ins. company. :mad:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I remember my StateFarm rep saying something about the way the bike is classified. I think they are all, including monsters, classified as sport bikes (i.e. racing) and are in the high risk segment - like a 999.

It would also not surprise me if Ducati has a history of having more newbie claims/crashes. I think it is really interesting to see how many new riders jump right into a M800+ who would not otherwise consider buying a 749, GSX-600 or a CBRR600. They all have "self control" and wnat somethign reasonable but you really think they know what they got themselve into? My guess is the 2-cylinder engine and upright position fool most people into under-estimating the machine they bought. The torque (acceleration) on a M800 is only slightly off a 749's. Yet the Monster often feels/looks safer. Twist the grip in the corner without that self control and look out. It may have less plastic to break when it falls, but the insurance companies probably don't care much since the cost to repair is so high that it forces most bikes to be written off.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
How much are you talking?

I'm with State Farm in Southern California and I pay about $530 a year for full coverage on an 03 M800.

265.06 / six months
500 collision
1000 comprehensive

Regards,
AC

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I think the problem IS the bikes. Mine is like rolling entrapment. It reminds me of the little devils that pop up on people's shoulder in the movies... convincing them to give in to temptation. Mine put all kinds of ideas in my head then convinces me that "it's ok, just try it just this once." 10+ years on Hondas, no problem. 15 years on Harleys, minor problems (they like to ride into and through bars even when I don't really want to). 1 year on a Monster and my wife and I are BOTH signed up for wheelie school... and she does not even speed on the street.

Nope, it is the Ducatis that are so dangerous ;D. They are little red devils, even the ones that try to hide it under other paint.

Doc
Just say mo'

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I thought the classification depended on the state.... in NJ Monsters are sport bikes in terms of insurance classification, but I don't think that's the case in every state.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
My Allstate agent said that they classify bikes according to displacement and don't look at anything else.

In any case, I don't think Ducatis are more dangerous than other bikes, probably less so than bikes grouped with the R1 or R6. But they just might have a higher average cost to repair, as has been alluded to.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you've got a clean driving record, try State Farm Insurance. They strictly look at engine displacement and gave me a good quote for full coverage on my ex (02 M750D).

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I just called AAA insurance to get a quote for a '01 750 and they freaked out when I told them it was a Ducati. They said they can't insure Ducati's because they are too dangerous. Can you believe that? How is one motorcycle more dangerous than another because of it's name?
They are entirely too dangerous. Just message me your address and I will come pick it up.

Try Geico also. I got a quote from them and it was similar to what I got from the preferred company here in Austin.

G

·
I think a lot of companies don't really want to insure bikes, especially if you are not in a statistical bracket where they will make a lot of money. When I was looking I got a few rediculus quotes ($4,000-$5,000 a year!). I think they just see that I'm 23, with an "expensive sport bike" and don't really want to deal with me.

Just keep shopping around, you can find a decent rate if you look long enough.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
As I've said on here before I called over 15 different places before finding a reasonable price. Keep trying, you CAN get a deal...

G

·
Just so you get an understanding here.....

I am 30, clean driving record with the words "SafeDriver" on my license and I was quoted $3400 a year in Tampa with Progressive on my 04' S4R :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Wow, sounds like some of you guys are/were getting raped by the insurance business. If you live around the Northeast side of the Nation, try Erie Ins. I have my S4R with them and I barely pay over $400. I just turned 24 too.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I think a lot of companies don't really want to insure bikes, especially if you are not in a statistical bracket where they will make a lot of money. When I was looking I got a few rediculus quotes ($4,000-$5,000 a year!). I think they just see that I'm 23, with an "expensive sport bike" and don't really want to deal with me.

Just keep shopping around, you can find a decent rate if you look long enough.

did you tell them you have a "standard" bike? meaning it has a 1-piece handlebar, and not the sport-bike bars? it's a standard bike to most insurance companies. just because it's a ducati doesn't mean it's a superbike.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts