Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if the instrument panel plastic covers are replaceable? can they be polished back to clear (are they acrylic or polycarbonate)? are there replacement glasses?

it seems like they should be. i am very good to mine, but they have scratches that drive me crazy! also there are some water spots inside i would like to wipe away from when it filled up with water after being out in the rain...

thanks!

·
Registered
376 Posts
The instruments should not fill up with water, even if they are out in the rain, when I say they should not, I mean that they do, but they shouldn't (I'm on my 3rd set, and getting my 4th set on Friday). The leaking guages should be replaced under warranty, and I don't think you can take them apart, I've read here that the bezel is pressed on and can't be removed without damaging the unit. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4th set, wow. i regret not taking a picture when my odometer and temp readouts were actually partially underwater. it's amazing they still work, and that was only after having the bike for a week or two (before i got a cover).

my dealer service said DNA would probably require a picture as proof, so maybe before my 2 year warranty is up i'll leave it out in some heavy rain (sorry desmo). seems dumb the glasses aren't replaceable since they're so easily scratched.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
The cluster is actually pretty easy to take apart. The really dumb thing however is that you can't buy JUST the top bezel with the glass. There is no seperate part number for that. When you look up the cluster it only shows one part number and that is for the entire unit. I broke one of my "windows" and couldnt get myself to spend $600 on a new cluster. Ill wait to find one on Ebay. Any of you guys that are getting your clusters replaced.... are they keeping the old ones? Im willing to pay a good sum for just a top cover. :)

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My service department also thought the cluster couldn't be disassembled. Where did you start with taking yours apart? Any tools necessary?

If your "window" is the only thing broken, and you can take out the good one for dimensions, it would be easy to trace the shape onto a polycarbonate sheet and cut it out by hand with a coping saw.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Someone here not too long ago replaced one of his lenses with a piece of plastic, and it looked pretty good. No unfortunately the dealership kept the other sets of gauges, I would have loved to have them. It's my thoughts that I'll replace 50 sets of gauges to get a set that doesn't leak, It pisses me off that a new motorcycle has a problem like this, I have a 25 year old H0nda with original gauges that work like a champ. In my opinion, any amount of water that you get in your gauges is too much it's just a matter of time before the water runs down the inside of the glass, and messes with one or both of the digital readouts, and leaves a mark on the inside of the glass, and that would irritate the piss out of me. I understand the problems of condensation, but I live in the high desert (+/-11" of yearly precipitation) and I'm really careful with the hose when I wash the MC, and the Monster hasn't spent one night outside the garage. The latest set of gauges has 7 miles on them, I had them replaced last fall in October, and had only taken a quick spin when I got back home with the motorcycle, and when I rolled the Monster out of the garage in February, there was a considerable amount of condensation (just short of running down the inside of the glass). So if I were you, I'd replace the guages sooner rather than later, and hopefully through the luck of the draw, you'll get a set that doesn't leak. I also this time will try a little electrical tape around where the wires plug into the back of the gauges, maybe that will help a little. I also didn't have to take a picture of the fogging, I just called the dealership and told them what was happening, and they ordered the gauges and I waited for them to arrive before I took in the Monster. Hope you have better luck with the next set, if it wasn't a warranty item, I'd try to dismantle the gauges from the housing, and hit them with a hair dryer to try to evaporate the condensation. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts