Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Need helpful tips. It takes me about 20 minutes to change visors on my Arai Signet GTR, despite the existence of the handy "quick release" tabs and anime-illustrated instructions. I would really like to be able to do this quickly, as I need to do part #1 of my daily commute in the dark (so, clear) and finish it in broad daylight (dark smoke). Does it just take lots and lots of practice, or am I manually challenged? Or is there an undocumented method I'm unaware of?

Other tip needed - what's the best way to transport a second shield? Messenger bag? Tank bag? Wear it like a belt?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have the same helmet and it just takes a bit of muscle to cram that hinged part into the right place. I do one side and then the other. The visor has to be in the open position I think. I also have a Shoei RF-1000 that is a little easier. I read a recent review on the Arai Signet and they complained about changing screens. Wear it like a belt ?? Good idea, I never thought of that. Otherwise I use a tank bag.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Put the helmet on a table or on your lap facing away from you. Open the visor and use your index or middle fingers to pull up on the locking tabs. You will feel the visor unhinge. Proceed to flip the visor up, it should come out easily.

To put in the new visor I flip the locking tabs down to where they are behind the side covers and then I just feed the visor in from the top. I do one side at a time, the locking tabs should pop out again to the seven and four o'clock positions, respectively. Sometimes I have to close teh visor so the hinges can snap home. No big deal, with a bit of practice the whole swap should take you all of ten seconds to do.

Good luck,

-R.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I used to have major troubles with mine as well until I talked to someone at my local shop and he showed me the easiest way to change them out. I have attached a video to show what I am talking about so read and then watch.

Hope this helps....

1) Open Visor Fully with Helmet secured between your thighs

2) Grab both tabs and push up until you can see the outside covers starting to bow out

3) Grab visor and pull up and back towards you

INTALL

1) Make sure both tabs are still in the up position

2) slide visor into covers

3) press inward and down as if trying to close the visor in one smooth motion..

RIGHT CLICK, SAVE AS.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/monster/AraiVisor.wmv

Liter

·
Registered
599 Posts
Open visor all the way.
Pull tab up on one side and pull that side of shield in an upward motion until it pops out. Proceed to do the same with the other side. It takes some time for the plastic to wear down and do this with ease.
To put back on, do it one side at a time. Angle one side as if it were in the up position and slide it in until it pops. Same with the other. Close it and open it to ensure it's in properly. If you've got an Arai then you have your blue arai bag right? I carry my extra in that and just place it towards the top in my back pack and it travels just fine.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Other tip needed - what's the best way to transport a second shield? Messenger bag? Tank bag? Wear it like a belt?
I use one of these http://www.shieldsak.com/ I picked it up for $20 at the Daytona 200.

It fits over you like a tight fitting messenger bag, the shield will fit the contour of your body under you arm (unless your a realllllllllly big dude). I find it a great way to transport my clear shield while riding and great protection when sitting in the garage.

I know your pain on the Arai shield change, it took me a while to get used to it!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I bought a smoked shield for my Renegade (same visor setup) and it came with a small container of silicone. A couple drops of that on each of the plastic tabs and it slides right in. I had the same problem until I started using it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice. LiterLeaner, thanks much for the video! That was very helpful (and above and beyond the call; you rock!)...I've got taking it off down, takes a little longer to put it back on, but I'm practicing. I'd forgotten about the silicone - I'll try that tonight.

The Shieldsak looks really cool, but...are there any female riders who have used them? All the pictures on the website are of men, and where it fits, uh, well, let's just say that the "natural contours" of my body might make it sit a little differently. And less comfortably. But maybe the strap adjusts a little lower?

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Glad I could help. I know those visors kicked my butt until I watched someone do it in front of me...

Have fun and good luck with em ;D

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The Shieldsak looks really cool, but...are there any female riders who have used them? All the pictures on the website are of men, and where it fits, uh, well, let's just say that the "natural contours" of my body might make it sit a little differently. And less comfortably. But maybe the strap adjusts a little lower?
Ahhh.. your right. I had my wife try it on and well.... it didn't really fit the best. We tried to loosen the strap but it just doesn't work out how you like. So I think this may not be the desired product for women. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
The good news is that I can change the visors fairly quickly now. I can put the extra visor in the tank bag, so I won't be getting the shieldsak. Thanks for the advice!

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
I have an easier way with my wonderful quickchange visor. I keep the clear visor on and wear sunglasses. This way I avoid the desire to throw the helmet clear across the room when the hinge wont take

1 - 12 of 12 Posts