Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't really sure where to post this, and I am almost sure I have already seen a thread on this but I can't find it.

Anyway, talked to the dealer today, and I am looking at spending $408 on a Haga Replica Quantum.

I figured you guys have already done the research, so, is this a bargain?

Are Arais worth the money?

I am really just looking for the cheapest place to get the helmet, so any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
yeah, that's definitely cheap. Any arai helmet will cost 425 plus. The quantum w/ graphics usually go for around 475 I think.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
This inquiry would have been more appropriate for the "Gear" Section.... Stuff you put on you.

Next time.....

Just moved this from Accessories and Mods.

Didn't realize I had that power until Michael moved a post from Gear over to A&M!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I just had to buy a new helmet and I went and tried on most of the "normal" brands. Here is my post about it, at the bottom I list the prices I found for some last year Arais. And if they fit your head they are worth every single penny.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=gear;action=display;num=1064255236

Here's that info again if you don't want to go to that thread.

A LOT of places had NICE sales on last years Arai helmets. I saw Quantums for $300, RX7RR4's for under $500, unfortunaly they never had my size. So if you think you can't afford an Arai call every shop in town to see what they have on sale. And I do recomend going to a shop to get your helmet. I would have never thought the MEDIUM was my size till I tried it on and noticed the solidity of the contact on my head. Because it's the perfect fit wind noise is down, and the helmet is more "transparent" to me.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry about the A & M post.

I know the Arais are quality, but I can't help but wonder how they could be that much better than some of the other less expensive brands.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
That is what I thaught. It is suppose to be the material the shell is made out of (as far as impact absortion) and the flow of air. One dealer said there was a test where they dropped a less expense helmet (shell made of plastic) and it bounced 7 feet and the Aria (made of fibers or something, can not remmember) only bounced 1 1/2 feet. For me besides the fit being perfect in comparison, my head stays alot cooler even when it is hot air coming in through the vents.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
In the gear survey we did the Arais were mentioned as being quieter more often than other brands. Shoei also did well.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I find the material that the inside of the helmet is made of to be the softest and least "abrasive" to my forehead. The Sumoy felt almost identical. ANd yeah the helmets have good venting..I'm NEVER hot inside.

·
Registered
906 Posts
When it comes to crashing, you want the best. Arai makes a great helmet. You may never need it, but it's nice to know it's there if you do. I think it is money well spent.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mikec

I understand we only get one head, and need the best to protect it. But, I want the best at the cheapest price.

We were given one butthole as well, and I don't need my local dealer ripping me a new one. ;D

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
If the helmet passes all the SNELL and DOT stuff it's going to protect you. The difference is, will it feel smooth as silk while doing so.

You just need to go try on all the helmets you can, find the one that fits the best at the lowest price. YOu can get a last year's Arai for a competitive price, I know it. Shoei makes VERY nice helmets as well, and they are a bit cheaper.

After Shoei, I like Sumoy the best.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hey Duc-Gasm, I understand that you want the cheapest price, but that stuff your local dealer wants you to do is where i would draw the line :eek:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike, when I go to the dealer, I know i am gonna get screwed...i just never know how bad.

But seriously, thanks for all the feedback. And if anyone knows where to get a good deal on an Arai, please share it with the rest of us.

-Chris

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
where do you live dude? They had quite a few on sale at Pro Italia.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Do an "Arai" search on eBay, and every seller that has five or more Arais for sale, send an email with your style/color/size request.

I got a very good deal on my Arai that way.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
infoage1, I had that same idea, but haven't heard anything back yet.

fleedatzmonster, I live in Birmingham Alabama.
I am thinking of getting the pro italia fender eliminator kit since my plastic fender thing broke, so maybe I could get a combo deal.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Perhaps. I'm not so sure you can get an Arai over the phone though.

I don't know if anyone has posted the online sites yet..haha.

www.helmetharbor.com has A LOT of helmets and some good information about them as well.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on my helmet saga:

Found the helmet I wanted on Ebay using the method described earlier. $325.00 not to bad. So I went to my dealer to see if they could meet/beat the internet price.

Considering I have bought two bikes (bike #1 croaked after 3wks) and spent tons of money on accesories I thought...oh well. I got the "tuff sh!t" treatment. "If you want to take your chances with an ebay item go ahead"

The dealer also said he was going to look on ebay and try to find this guys website so he could shut him down. Something about selling Arai's under cost over the internet.

-chris

1 - 19 of 19 Posts