Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to catch hell for this....

I went to the Ducati dealer this weekend (also Aprilia, Guzzi, laverda etc.) and saw the 2004 Aprilia RSV Mille. I have to admit, that is the sexiest bike I have seen this year. The dealer seemed to be much more of a fan of the Aprilia over the Duc. I have to admit i think it looks better than the 999, and the price is better as well. he also said it is much more rideable and "bulletproof".

I think my next Superbike purchase is going to be the Aprilia. Is anyone else with me on this? Who has Aprilia experiences? Had anyone riden both to be able to comapre?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Im with you but I know nothing about the bike other than it looks cool. I mean I know the specs from the website and all but I have no "real" knowledge of it. Im torn between an R1 and a used RSV mille.

G

·
I am with you mate. The King of the Vtwin to day is the Aprilia RSV Mille. It is on top in every test here in Europe. The usual points the 916 got for it looks the 999 do not get. The 999 design is a flop and the sales figures are down, but it will take time before Ducati will admit it. Their design people are so arrogant. The 999 was their ego trip, they thought they could match the design of the maestro, Massimo Tamborini.
My be we can bring some pressure on Ducati to correct this design disaster if we bring it up from time to time.
In UK they are at the moment selling 5 times the numbers of the RSV Mille compare to the 999. As a track tool Neil Hodgson would rather have hade the 916.
You go for the RSV Mille mate, it is Italian and Vtwin, it will serve you well

Slim

·
Registered
133 Posts
Latest test in Superbike (i think )put the 999s in front of the 2004 rsv factory,they reckoned the latest rsv motor had lost it`s low down torque,mind you they also rated the SP2 first

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm definitely with you too. I'm very much lusting after a Mille as a second bike. However, I'd prefer to have a 2000.5 - 2003 RSV1000 R as opposed to the 2004 RSVR. I like the looks of the 2004 better, but the ergos of the earlier models suit my tall frame better.

G

·
Take a look at the R version of the Mille. You can;t beat that parts list for hte price. Forged 10 spoke marchesini wheels, ohins front and rear, radial brakes, etc.... Its a nice set up.

G

·
A Mille or a 999 - what a dilemma! Either one would be 'jes fine.

By the way, I do not agree with you guys that hate the styling on the 999/749. I thought it was beautiful in the pics and in real life. It's fresh and it's functional. I like the 749 in yellow . . . . 8)

G

·
A friend of mine rides a 2002 Mille R. Sometimes he rides without the lower fairing, because he changed the oil before the ride and ran out of time putting it back together! The Mille r is an awesome bike, but it is kind of a torture rack. The 999 if far more comfortable for an afternoon ride. There are better deals to be had on Aprilia bikes, but I'd still ride the Duc.

G

·
The 749/999 styling is nice except for the front end with the small headlights. I think the two are horrible looking in red and yellow but I'll take a dark or dark-silver in a second! ;D

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
.... the progression is apparent in the Ducati sbk series.... 851, 888, 916, 996, 998, 999.... so are we gonna be seein' a 'mille' from Ducati soon? they might start using 1.0, etc or 1.1?

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Maybe they will change the name to XP?

oh wait, wrong company.

mitt

·
Registered
584 Posts
Much of this debate is aesthetic and, of course, a matter of opinion. I haven't ridden either bike, but have seen both. I did NOT like the way the Mille looks. To me, it's not much different than your typical Japanese bike. I mean, it looks OK, but it has no flair. That's just my opinion. On the other hand, I LOVE the 999 and would buy one in a heartbeat if I could justify the cost.

Honestly, though, if I were going to buy a superbike in the coming months, I'd probably get a new R1. Now there's heresy for you!! ;D
dion

1 - 17 of 17 Posts