Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a carpenter/contractor from central California, and I'm moving to the Jackson Wyoming area this month becuase of work opportunities. I must say the weather scares the **** out me. I'm used to shorts and sandles and not so sure I can handle it. [laugh]

If you do, what kind of cold weather work gear do you wear? And are you still unbearably cold?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used to work in the field.....My suggestion would be to get some carhartts. A jacket and a set of bibs. I had insulated bibs and only wore them when it was real bad, 20's and lower for the high. I can't express enough that you should dress in layers..... a t-shirt then a long sleeve t shirt then a long sleeve shirt and then your jacket. I used a hard hat liner in my rookie days, but they are pretty bulky so I just ended up using a stocking cap and a bandanna under that. It is a real good idea to have a complete set of clothes in the car for those days that you get wet. Oh yea, long underwear are good if you can wear them - they bugged the $h1t out of me!

alway have at least three pair of gloves. they always get wet

good luck on staying warm!

If can give some final words....You can always take it off, but you can not wish it on. ;)

·
Banned
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply PanDUC. My good friend and business parter that moved up there five years ago also recommends layers. He said the weather can change one minute to the next. I just got the Duluth Trading Company catalogue and may be sending some serious money their way.

I have a family history of arthritis in my hands, elbows, and feet. What the hell, it's a new adventure.

·
Registered
118 Posts
what trade are your in? are you in residential or commercial construction? I know few guys up that way in commercial GC work. They do a lot of work in the Jackson Hole area. Have you checked out the roads for summer riding?

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Oh man, that's going to be a tough transition! We get lots of sun around here and in the winter we'll have warm ups from time to time - so it's not like an extreme midwest winter. But, having said that, it still gets crazy cold and the wind will kill you. The only thing I would ad to PanDucs reply is to try some DuoFolds. They come in big union suit style or seperate top and bottom. If I'm outside doing something other than snowboarding I'll always wear my seperates 'cause they are a lot less bulky but still keep me almost as warm. I'm sure the 'original' series will do you just fine. You can decide on middle or heavy weight. These things are unbeatable for keeping the shakes to a minimum.

http://www.duofold.com/

·
Registered
975 Posts
ADG said:
I must say the weather scares the nuts out me.
We are watching "The Shining" over lunches at work this week...make sure you don't get socked in >:D

·
Banned
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PanDUC said:
what trade are your in? are you in residential or commercial construction? I know few guys up that way in commercial GC work. They do a lot of work in the Jackson Hole area. Have you checked out the roads for summer riding?

I do mostly high-end residential, but a little commercial...I've done it all in the past 23 years...as I've said I'm a California contractor/carpenter that does foundations, frames and interior/exterior finish work.

·
Banned
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PanDUC said:
I'm selling my Duc to facilitate the move. ::)

·
Banned
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Recone Helmut said:
Oh man, that's going to be a tough transition! We get lots of sun around here and in the winter we'll have warm ups from time to time - so it's not like an extreme midwest winter. But, having said that, it still gets crazy cold and the wind will kill you. The only thing I would ad to PanDucs reply is to try some DuoFolds. They come in big union suit style or seperate top and bottom. If I'm outside doing something other than snowboarding I'll always wear my seperates 'cause they are a lot less bulky but still keep me almost as warm. I'm sure the 'original' series will do you just fine. You can decide on middle or heavy weight. These things are unbeatable for keeping the shakes to a minimum.

http://www.duofold.com/

Thanks for the info Recone Helmut.

Yep, this is gonna be tough. [laugh]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.