Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the deal, you all should know how badly i need a valve job.
i would prefer to do it myself, but the price of the kit is almost as much as iwould pay to have it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

so, would anyone be interested in going in on a shim kit with me?
all who paid would have access to it and we could replace whatever we used as we are able to.
bigger shims can always be ground down from what i hear.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
KnightofNi II said:
here's the deal, you all should know how badly i need a valve job.
i would prefer to do it myself, but the price of the kit is almost as much as iwould pay to have it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

so, would anyone be interested in going in on a shim kit with me?
all who paid would have access to it and we could replace whatever we used as we are able to.
bigger shims can always be ground down from what i hear.
But, since you do your valves every 40,000 miles, wouldn't it be simpler (and less work, and no chance of f'ing things up, etc.) to let a pro do it? You know how projects go...just my 2-cents

·
Registered
181 Posts
Perhaps my background skews my perspective on this, but its my feeling that all the hoopla about desmo valve jobs being difficult is just a bunch of BS. If your carefull, have the right tools, and check all your measurements twice there really isn't all that much to worry about.

Knight, I have a shim kit, if you want I'm sure we could work something out.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mdriver said:
Perhaps my background skews my perspective on this, but its my feeling that all the hoopla about desmo valve jobs being difficult is just a bunch of BS. If your carefull, have the right tools, and check all your measurements twice there really isn't all that much to worry about.

Knight, I have a shim kit, if you want I'm sure we could work something out.
i think i would like this idea...
i have no idea what size shims i will need, and i can replace the shims that i use.

next question...what stupid specialty tool am i going to find out that i need to do this?

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
travis, if and when you do this. can I hang out?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sure..everyone is welcome to come and watch me **** up my bike. i'll need help loading it onot a truck to take it to martin's to fix it after i "fix" it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. I'm in, I don't want anyone to get hurt while loading it on to the truck. ;)

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Let me know when this is as well, this is an event worthy of a documentary.
How many Ducatis do you think exist without even having the engine cracked open in 30,000+ miles? What fantastic sights may lie within?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
[thumbsup] definitely worth seeing it [cheeky]

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Yeah, I definitely stop by for that. Maybe we could take some video for future reference.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
The bike might crumble to dust once the protective layer of filth is breeched.
Like a stake through the heart of the vampire. :'(

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lethe said:
The bike might crumble to dust once the protective layer of filth is breeched.
Like a stake through the heart of the vampire. :'(
ooo, good point. i'm going to need to clean it up a bit. :(

also, i'm afraid my valves ae going to be toast and there willl be piston damage. so i'm not looking at the pistons.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Out of sight, out of mind? Good idea....if you don't look at them they couldn't possibly be shot. [thumbsup] [laugh]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.