Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm looking for a back protector for tack days and possible racing. Has anyone had any experience with the plant-knox contour protectors? Any idea how the protection compares to the more usual plate styles?

http://www.planet-knox.com/detail2.aspx?ID=22

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
GeoffB said:
Hi,
I'm looking for a back protector for tack days and possible racing. Has anyone had any experience with the plant-knox contour protectors? Any idea how the protection compares to the more usual plate styles?

http://www.planet-knox.com/detail2.aspx?ID=22

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sorry, not familiar with these. They look much more streamlined than the icon vest I have though:
http://www.newenough.com/armor_icon_field_armor_vest_page.htm
I think I wore it once, never used it again. Still got the matching knee/shin guards sitting at home too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I might go with a more conventional plate-style for now. There's no planet-knox's over here that I can have a close look at. I wondering how the planet-knox would handle a point impact.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
W/o getting a good look at the maerials used, it'd be hard to say. But, it's probably a safe assumption that something like the Icon would handle a small point impact better, since it has the ridged plates to dispruse the forces.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back protectors are rated as CE level 1 or 2, depending upon how much force is transmitted; however, I don't know how the CE tests are done. How is the force applied to the back protector?

I'm thinking that race track requirements may be different to street requirements. Would a more rigid construction (plates) suit the street better where there are far more irregularly shaped object to hit?

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
GeoffB said:
Back protectors are rated as CE level 1 or 2, depending upon how much force is transmitted; however, I don't know how the CE tests are done. How is the force applied to the back protector?

I'm thinking that race track requirements may be different to street requirements. Would a more rigid construction (plates) suit the street better where there are far more irregularly shaped object to hit?
You might PM someone at Knox with these questions...everyone here's guessing.

Based on how helmets are tested, I doubt there's a different philosophy for street vs. track design of back protectors. Most standardized tests are designed around the measuring equipment, not the application.

With helmets, there was a controversial (at least for the manufaturers) article published a year or two ago that used unofficial 'tests' to claim that helmet-certification tests (Snell, in particular) did not reflect real-world conditions in their design. Their data implied that the cheaper helmets they tested offered better protection than the expensive ones, because the former were 'softer' and helped absorb/distribute impacts better. The Snell test drops a steel ball on a helmet (which would mimic your point-source impact) but apparently doesn't test broader-area impacts.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OT said:
You might PM someone at Knox with these questions...everyone here's guessing.
Sent then an e-mail a couple of days ago. No answer yet. I'll post it up, if they answer.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
GeoffB said:
Sent then an e-mail a couple of days ago. No answer yet. I'll post it up, if they answer.
Also, you might e-mail some of the MC mags...questions like your's wrt impacts may be of interest to one of their editors.

BIKE magazine is based in the UK and their pretty reputable - don't konw their website, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts