Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I've seen about a half dozen methods for modifying the stock mufflers and I am having trouble deciding which to attempt. I want a little more volume but what I'm really after is more low frequency italian opera. The method I am specifically inquiring about can be found at:
http://www.ducatisuite.com/mufflers.html He uses a Dremel or Die Grinder to remove the interior ring of the end cap. Then he cuts the small tube and removes about 3in of baffle/wadding. The sound byte is convincing but I wanted to see if anyone from this community had tried the mod for themselves. Feel free to mention other methods if you were pleased with their results.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Anyone tried the exhaust mod from ducatisuite.

Talk to s4strati (I think thats his name), he modifies the stock exhuast, and has done so for many other people.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

it does look pretty similar to what i do with the monster cans. the ones shown on his site are the pre-'01 revision. construction's changed in '01+ but nothing extraordinarily dramatic. you can do a search for some more details or shoot me an email (stra[email protected])

yep... the sound is pretty nice. honestly a bit LOUD compared to other systems. flow is improved but i won't mislead anybody. aftermarket perforated-straightpipe systems (pretty much all makes except for staintune and moriwaki as far as i know) _do_ flow better, but it's a matter of justifying price for power.

·
Registered
84 Posts

it does look pretty similar to what i do with the monster cans. the ones shown on his site are the pre-'01 revision. construction's changed in '01+ but nothing extraordinarily dramatic. you can do a search for some more details or shoot me an email ([email protected])
can you send me details and possibly some pics on the "half way mod". I would like to cut them down about 3". Also do you pull out the packing? I originally thought welding was invovled in this, but since it is not, i know i could tackle this project.
2002 M750
[email protected]
Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

the only difference between the full mod and the 1/2 mod is the retention of the exhaust tip's "inner ring" for '00+ monsters. earlier models' weren't spot-welded to the outer exhaust tip which makes keeping it a PITA unless you've got access to a spot-welder:

·
Premium Member
309 Posts

I got the 1/2 mod for our man Strati the Blabbermouth. I had him do exactly what you are thinking about. I had him take off about 3". It looks great, close to stock but definately not stock when you hear me fly by. They are louder than stock but not too loud. He does great work & gets them back to you promptly. I'd definately reccomend the mod & having him do it for you saves you more coin to throw out on other mods.

;D

·
Registered
196 Posts

I'll also stand by Strati's work, I got the full mod and chopped as short as possible and painted a semi flat black. They are loud but not sick loud. Strati may save you alot of trial or error.
BUZ.
Ducatz- I'm out of the country for a few weeks, eventually I will link up with the Mid Atlantic Hooligans. I'll drop you a line when I get back.

·
Registered
84 Posts

the only difference between the full mod and the 1/2 mod is the retention of the exhaust tip's "inner ring" for '00+ monsters. earlier models' weren't spot-welded to the outer exhaust tip which makes keeping it a PITA unless you've got access to a spot-welder:
Thanks for the pic.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts

For the visual side of a stock can mod, here's an interesting approach I saw when in Oregon:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

THAT is a cool idea! isolated sanding to get the anodizing off and then polish the flames. cool...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

i wonder how he was able to polish those flames in... especially the tight tips.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

probably used a dremel or similar tool to sand off the anodizing in the tight design. then tape off the areas you don't want polished and hit the sleeves with a buff. labor intensive!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts

Hey, does anyone know of a site with really good instructions on how to do the 1/2 mod on 2000 style pipes. I also would like to go down maybe 3". Make it a little deeper and a little louder but not ear-shattering. It's gotta be DIY since I have no money but I do have a good friend with a good shop.
Thanks guys.
Brian

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

hey brian,
just sent you an "IM" thingie.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts

I was wondering with the FI bikes and the pipe mod do you have to adjust your computer? I was thinking about the pipe mod just for the rest of the summer then this winter getting a full system power comander and air box

·
Registered
196 Posts

No need to do anything else. Do any air box stuff I

·
Premium Member
157 Posts

Just another satisfied customer putting in my 2

1 - 19 of 19 Posts