Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The nearest twisty road is about 2 hours away from me and the ride out and back is really monotonous. I'm seriously considering buying one of those small non-enclosed motorcycle trailers that will hold 2 bikes; they weigh about 150-200lbs. Basically something simple like this:

http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/LongChih/832TA-2TS32M.htm

I don't have a truck and don't want to buy one specifically for this. I've seen people tow jet skis on cars and know that a car would tow one of these, but I'd like to hear from some of you as to what kind of car (no trucks or SUVs) you are using with a similar setup and if you are towing one or two bikes.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Nibs said:
The nearest twisty road is about 2 hours away from me and the ride out and back is really monotonous. I'm seriously considering moving somewhere else.
Fixed it for ya. ;)

A friend easily towed my monster with a single bike trailer and an older BMW 3 series.

·
Banned
412 Posts
Towed my bike behind my car on a steel 5x8 utility trailer from here to denver.

No problems at all!

I would also suggest a receiver hitch, so you can remove the unsightly draw bar from the hitch when not towing a trailer.

I would have rode my bike to denver, but I couldn't bring myself to ride 3/4 of the trip on flat straight North and South Dakota roads.... would have been a waste of a good tire.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I tow my TL1000R on a rented U-haul motorcycle trailer with my '96 Subaru Impreza (1.8 liter, 5 speed manual, AWD) every time I do a trackday (every couple of months). The only problem with that is the little trailer wheels may or may not tolerate speeds around 75 mph - I blew a trailer tire once. Now when I tow with that I keep my speed around 65 mph. My usual track (Firebird Raceway, south of Phoenix) is about 100 miles away. I will probably venture down to Arroyo Seco Raceway (Deming, NM) in the next few months which is about 250 miles away.

Oh yes, my gas mileage plummets when towing - by about 7 mpg.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I towed my Monster around with me numerous times this past Summer for the same reason you've stated ...... no decent twisty roads within a days ride of my house.

I'm towing it on a lightweight utility trailer equipped with a locking front wheel chock and rear tie-downs. My 4 cylinder 2 litre manual transmission Suzuki econo-box sedan has no trouble pulling it at highway speeds and up hills [thumbsup]

Attachments

·
Banned
197 Posts
If you get one of those, get the one with the 12" wheels. I have a Harbor Freight 4x8' folding trailer, I limit my speed to an agonizing 55mph for safety reasons but have carried a CRF250X, CRF150F, and a little CT70 (sideways in the back) on it with no problems.

Check out harborfreight.com, I love my folding trailer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, I hadn't expected so many replies... especially so many encouraging replies!!

For those of you who are towing with small sedans, do you have a manual or automatic trans? I would imagine manuals are better... given that towing is hard on automatic transmissions and most econo-cars don't have transmission coolers.... but I'm looking to get an automatic to double as my commuter vehicle.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spidey said:
Fixed it for ya. ;)

A friend easily towed my monster with a single bike trailer and an older BMW 3 series.
Don't rub it in Spidey... I just moved from where you live to ATLANTA. Between a lack of hills and no more opportunities to see you crash on group rides, I'm pretty depressed >:D

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Nibs said:
Wow, I hadn't expected so many replies... especially so many encouraging replies!!

For those of you who are towing with small sedans, do you have a manual or automatic trans? I would imagine manuals are better... given that towing is hard on automatic transmissions and most econo-cars don't have transmission coolers.... but I'm looking to get an automatic to double as my commuter vehicle.

Thanks again!
We used Alvaro´s Seat Ibiza - like a VW Golf with a 110hp TDi engine as it gives around 6 litres/100km normally (imperial) and towing at around 120-140km/h it gave us around 9 litres/100km. It is a manual.

I have a 4.2V8 Range Rover Classic and that is awesome at towing but the fuel consumption is a bit horrible 15-20 litres/100km in normal driving so I don´t use that for any towing.

I´m actually thinking of chopping in the Range for a 2nd hand Mercedes Vito with a tow hook as you can use it as a normal vehicle (not industrial) and get 2 x monsters in the back and tow a trailer at the same time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Small cars will tow a trailer with two bikes no problem. I have a 2.4 litre Toyota Rav4 and this does it easy.
The only thing I would recommend is to ditch the cheap tyres the trailers are usually fitted with and get yourself a new set of light truck tyres. Also, make sure the wheels are correctly balanced afterwards.
To some this is overkill as these tyres can be expensive but its cheaper than having a crappy tyre blow at highway speeds and losing the bikes over the side.
I have fitted these to both my bike and jet ski trailers and never had any problems.

Stephan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts