Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an extra bedroom that I could store my bike in but I'm worried about the fumes. I have a female roommate and she uses that room as a dressing room and it wouldn't be fair if it stunk like gas/oil in there.

Anyone else store their bike inside that could give me some input? Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
the only reason it would give off fumes is it it has a leak. i stored a scooter, 2 dirt bikes and a ninja in my old apartment and i didn't notice any odor at all. but, i did get high off of the cleaner i used for 4 months in a row. those were some really clean bikes when spring rolled around! ;D

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I keep my bikes inside, there's no smell whatsoever.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I keep mine in the living room.

No worries.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I kept mine inside last year.

It'll smell like gas because of the temperature difference between the warmth inside the house and the cold outside. After you bring the cold bike (from sitting outside) into the warm environment of the house, the gas will warm up a little bit and expand in the tank enough to force a minute amount of gas fumes out of the tank (not enough to be dangerous, but enough to smell a little bit). It smelled a tiny bit like motorcycle (gas/exhaust/speed/pasta) for maybe... 24-36 hours until the bike warmed up from being inside, and the smell dissipated. Nothing to worry about.

Don't start it. I did. A few times >:D. But it's probably a bad idea.

·
0 Posts
I am storing mine inside the house this winter. It smells very faintly of oil and gas and rubber. I like it!

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
desmodevil said:
If your roomie is hot, have her sit on it while she does her makeup.... oh, and take pics of course. [thumbsup]
hahaha, nice

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info..... and not a chance of having her take pics on the bike, she works in politics.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It is not bad at all a tip maybe to keep it down wind of the a forced air heater vent. The air blowing across the bike might pick up a bit of smell. I kept mine in the living room farthest away from the heating vent next to an outside wall and it worked well. [thumbsup]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts