Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone recommend Chatter Box communication systems?

I am looking at the one with 5 mile range.
DO these things work well?
Is it worth the $300+???

·
Registered
413 Posts
My girlfriend and I use the Chatterbox system (she rides her own bike)--There are some pros and cons,we have the one with two channels , I would recomend getting the one lots more channels, so there would be less intereference.
Pros: You get to communicate with your riding partner--often times thats a good thing. Voice activated mike--- no buttons to push. Clear signals--we have used them 1 mile apart and the transmissions were clear.
Cons: The helmet mounting hardware rubs and slightly catches the collar of my MC jacket when I turn my head--kind of irritating. The vox (voice activation system) is kind of tricky--the sensitivity is adjustable, too little and it never activates, too much and wind noise turns it on. Also there is a slight delay between activation and turning off that takes getting uesed to.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I've heard of a lot of complaints about the Chatterbox. Too many that I wouldn't bother. But there are also a lot of people who use them with no problems at all.

I'm looking for a system too. I've read some positive reviews of building something based on the Kenwood FRS radio. You'd have to buy a separate headset and speakers but there are vendors who specialize in such a set-up.

Apparently Motorcycle Consumer News gave this system a positive review in the last month or so. It's budget based but supposedly works pretty well.

Sorry I don't have more specifics, I'm still trying to figure out something myself.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will look up that article.
I am not too concerned with cost - just want to make sure whatever I get works well.

Any ideas on other systems?? ChatterBox is the only one I have heard of that seems well known. I just don't know how they work real world.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got the X2 but still haven't had the time to install it yet.

Where does all the extra wire go? Is it suppose to tuck into the helmet liner? My Shoei doesn't have removable pads so room for snaking it inside the liner is limited.

What do you do with the plug when you remove the unit from the helmet? You'd have to tuck that into the helmet so it won't dangle right?

And what are those 2 clips at the top right of this product photo (slightly to the left of the antenna on the receiver)?

TIA.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
There are 6 or 7 of us locally that all have the X2s. They actually work pretty good assuming that you accept some limitations of the system.

- Forget about using the voice activation. That feature probably works on big touring bikes with huge fairings, but there's just too much noise on a Monster. Use the PTT button instead.

- The 5 mile range may work if the receiver is within the line of sight, but you won't get anything close to that in the hills or in town. Typically we're using them within a half mile or so to warn of cops, to indicate where the group should turn, or to give the all clear to pass when there's limited visibillity.

- Since we've found that we need to use the PTT, a couple of guys have started keeping the receiver in their tank bag or pocket and just running an extension to the headset mounted in the helmet. I think I'm going to go that way this year as well. (Particularly makes sense if you connect a radar detector to the Chatterbox.)

All in all I'm happy enough with the Chatterbox. Any of the FRS/GMRS radios are going to have limitations, and the Chatterbox at least has a good deal of retail support.

HTH,
--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
What do you do with the plug when you remove the unit from the helmet? You'd have to tuck that into the helmet so it won't dangle right?

And what are those 2 clips at the top right of this product photo (slightly to the left of the antenna on the receiver)?
I usually just wedge the plug behind the mounting bracket for the receiver. When it's on your helmet, that'll make sense.

I'm not sure what those clips are, but I don't think that I'm using them....

--Fillmore

R

·
0 Posts
I got the X2 but still haven't had the time to install it yet.

Where does all the extra wire go? Is it suppose to tuck into the helmet liner? My Shoei doesn't have removable pads so room for snaking it inside the liner is limited.

TIA.
I love my X2 and hate it all at the same time. It works perfectly. But the clip that holds in my helmet really bother me. But I am between a 1x and 2x lid and the hugeness/roundness of my head may be a factor. I keep mine either cliped to the bike or in my pocket. I still love it. I also have the headphones with it. We use GRS radios with my track work, and its nice to have the X2 in my photo vest and just to talk to my flunkies without having to stop shooting. Or when riding to our cabin, my wife is in the car. I can talk to her. I like to take the bike to the cabin for evening rides. The wife wants no part of it. Although she will ride around the lake for kicks.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I don't know much about either set-up, but I do know that any of the units with a five mile range (downhill, with the wind!) are GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) radios and require an FCC license to operate legally. There's no test or anything, but the form is kind of tricky to fill out and there is a recurring fee. The units giving a 1 to 2 mile range are FRS (Family Radio Service) radios and do not require a license.
FWIW.

Eddie

·
Registered
413 Posts
There are 6 or 7 of us locally that all have the X2s. They actually work pretty good assuming that you accept some limitations of the system.

- Forget about using the voice activation. That feature probably works on big touring bikes with huge fairings, but there's just too much noise on a Monster. Use the PTT button instead.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Rev--we use the voice activation all the time and neither of us has faired bikes. I will admitt that it is kind of a pain though. Once the sensitivity is set so the wind at high speed doesnt set it off, you have to talk pretty loud. I haven't used the PIT switch yet..probably should give it a try.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Hey Rev--we use the voice activation all the time and neither of us has faired bikes. I will admitt that it is kind of a pain though. Once the sensitivity is set so the wind at high speed doesnt

·
Registered
413 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that it didn't work at all, just that it seems to be more trouble than it's worth... Like you said, if I set the sensitivity low enough to overcome wind noise I have to yell in my helmet and I have to start each sentence with a sound like "um" or something, or the first word gets broken up. Also, with 5 or 6 of us riding there will invariably be one joker who didn't set the sensitivity right and he rides around with an open mike making the system useless for the rest of us.

------------------end of quote-------------------

Yes--that would totally be annoying---Its kind of funny starting each sentence with a loud noise...we do that too :)

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Autocomm sells the best system but it is not cheap. It uses an FRS radio, they recommend the Kenwood. It also can input a cell phone, radar detector, and CD or MP3.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts