Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm trying to ship engine parts overseas to Singapore. Right now I'm trying to get a shipping quote for just the lower engine (clutch, cases, crank + rods, trans.. basically everything minus heads, cylinders and piston heads) which weighs 95 pounds, probably an even 100 lbs once its packed up in a box.

USPS only ships 70 lbs max and thats for about $300 ...any suggestions? $300 is way much. Doesn't even have to be air mail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
Something else came to mind when I read your title. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,324 Posts
whited3 said:
Hey guys, I'm trying to ship engine parts overseas to Singapore. Right now I'm trying to get a shipping quote for just the lower engine (clutch, cases, crank + rods, trans.. basically everything minus heads, cylinders and piston heads) which weighs 95 pounds, probably an even 100 lbs once its packed up in a box.

USPS only ships 70 lbs max and thats for about $300 ...any suggestions? $300 is way much. Doesn't even have to be air mail.
How about more than one box? The post office is about the cheapest way that you don't have to jump through major hoops to use.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
DHL is one I've had the most luck with to the Orient. They've been working there for many years (long before UPS and Fedex).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
382 Posts
OT said:
DHL is one I've had the most luck with to the Orient. They've been working there for many years (long before UPS and Fedex).
Just for sport, I tired the DHL site (used to live on Guam). One hundred pounds from Florida to Singapore came up at $532. Your best bet may be with a freight forwarding company. They are slower but usually cheaper.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, yeah shipping is damn expensive! I'm waiting on a bunch of quotes from various freight companies...if I get enough responses to be useful I'll post here. Seriously though...some companies charge as much as $1200 so I might as well take a trip and drop it off personally!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,966 Posts
whited3 said:
Thanks guys, yeah shipping is d**n expensive! I'm waiting on a bunch of quotes from various freight companies...if I get enough responses to be useful I'll post here. Seriously though...some companies charge as much as $1200 so I might as well take a trip and drop it off personally!
Baggage allowance is 20kg (44lbs)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
If you know anyone who is heading that direction, you could think about pricing overweight baggage fees. But I think it may be in the $300 neighborhood. How much was 50 lbs x2 through USPS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
UPS and FedEX are ridiculous for large/heavy packages.
I've used a freight forwarding company to ship stuff like motors, frames, etc at much lower costs.

a full up 998 motor with crate (total weight over 250lbs) was under $100 within the US

a large crate with frame, swingarm, and other parts (220 lbs) was $100 for international.

do a yellow pages search for freight forwarding in your area
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
143 Posts
grind it down into a little white powder, ( aluminium ) then !!!!!! ;D

sorry not help full A?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
AndyK said:
Your best bet may be with a freight forwarding company. They are slower but usually cheaper.
Are you selling it to someone in Singapore? If so, be very clear with the shipper/buyer about the shipping terms. Your responsibility for the package must end the moment you sign it over to the shipper. Then, if it gets stolen off the dock in Singapore he won't be able to come after you for the price of the motor. Usually, this means the buyer pays for the shipping, custom duties, etc....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chris said:
Also call bax global. We use them for international shipping of 5.1 gallon MH900e fuel tanks. $600 UPS and BAX was $100~150 to the customer's closest airport. $190~250 for their door. www.baxglobal.com
ah those are some good numbers. I've been waiting over 2 days and I have only 1 quote so far for $375 terminal to terminal. I guess I'll have to get on the phone soon. Thanks Chris.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately, bax will not ship overseas for non-businesses i.e. I need to have an account number with them...back to the drawing board
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wakaba said:
who and why are you sending to singapore?

is this person an owner of an APO/FPO addy?
Nah from what I know just a guy like me who needs my engine although I guess it's worth asking. I'm selling so he can swap out his 400cc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
whited3 said:
Nah from what I know just a guy like me who needs my engine although I guess it's worth asking. I'm selling so he can swap out his 400cc.
hi guys,

im the one geting his engine ... heheh ....

doing a big project now
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top