Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
This thing looks pretty damn great, and a worthy competitor to the Monster 1100 EVO

Monster 1100EVO
L-Twin, air cooled
1078cc
100 HP
76ft-lb torque
188 kg wet
13.5 L tank
SS Swingarm

BMW NineT
Boxer-twin, air cooled
1170cc
110 HP
88ft-lb torque
222 kg wet
17 L tank
SS Swingarm

Bonus comparo with the Guzzi Griso 8V:
V-Twin, air cooled
1151cc
110 HP
80ft-lb torque
251 kg wet (Damn! that's heavy)
16.7 L tank
SS Swingarm

BMW R Nine T Forum

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
The only thing that I would jump ship to at this point would be that 2014 1200 S I keep hearing whispers about. BMW makes a nice ride, but it still does not have the right look in my opinion.

·
Banned
646 Posts
I already can visualize the BmW with mono seat, aftermarket exhausts, bar end mirrors...drooling...oh and 17L tank...I dream of my evo having even just 15L...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
646 Posts
Engines on Guzzis are lateral too, but V-Twin instead of boxer like the BMW. I was disappointed by the feeling of the Guzzi Griso's engines (lot of vibrations, but not that much soul...), I'll be certainly curious to try the BMW. The fuel tank alone makes it very tempting for me. After 2 months I'm already tired of spending time at the gas station with the M1100 evo. I dont use my bike just for Sunday rides, I ride about 20000km per year (and we can only ride 9 months a year because of a law on riding in winter), so the small tank range is a big drawback, more then I could have expected...and I was used to a bike that would average 200-220km before reserve...

·
Banned
646 Posts
I just hope they don't ruin the concept by stuffing it with too much electronic (like Ducati did with its DTC on the Monster)...

I remember renting a BMW K1300GT 2-3 years ago and the dash was lighting up like a Christmas tree with tire pressure fluctuating, electronic suspensions and what not...keep it simple for more reliability!

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Banned
646 Posts
+1, BWM looks front heavy

I used to have an MT-01...and I love bikes that LOOK front heavy hehe in the case of the MT it was brilliant, but 160lbs heavier then the Monster...don't miss the weight, but I do miss the torque of the MT. And I always said the only bike that will make me sell the MT-01 will be a new MT-01, in a lighter version. Ended up buying the Monster, but regret selling the MT, I should have kept both. The Monster is a light agile toy, the MT was a bad ass 1700cc V-twin with 110ft-lb of torque, just can't find that anywhere else (except tuned Harleys and I hate Harleys and sure the Diavel and Vmax have the torque and power, but not the engine character the MT had). Don't get me wrong I love my Monster, but if the MT was 100lbs lighter I never would have sold it to start with cause it simply had one of the best engines ever built.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The EVO in person looks way better than that photo... so I'm going to have to wait to see this BMW in person also. The specs are all better than the EVO so I'm definitely open to the idea.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
For sure, the NineT is similar to the Griso, except the Griso is so freakin heavy!

The 17L capacity on the BMW would be a definite plus for me. I, too, am tired of visiting the gas station so often.

As for electronics, the only ride aid I have seen mentioned is ABS; no DTC, no fuel modes, no electronic suspension, no ride-by-wire, etc

I do like the optional single Akra exhaust (high or low mount):

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Would be freakin hilarious to see DTC on a BMW. Just sayin.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice fresh looking Beemer. But no. Not jumping ship. Not even close.
Besides, I already have a Beemer, albeit a rather utilitarian one.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
There is something the BMW is lacking....ahh, yes. a TRELLIS frame!!!

Great looking bike though.
After looking at the picture again, it actually has more of a trellis frame than any of the new school Ducati Monster line.

I'm not jumping ship, well because I keep every bike I buy, bought I'm seriously considering this as an option for 2014. I've always wanted a BMW in the shed, was thinking of a nice used GS 1200. I like it enough to take one for a test ride cash in hand.

·
Registered
152 Posts
When I was in the market of getting a new bike I narrowed it down to 2 options. The monster 1100 and the griso 8v. I absolutely love the look, sound, comfort, and riding position of the griso 8v. With all that considered I rode one and could not get over the fact of how top heavy they are. So I went and test rode a monster. Not an 1100 but a 796 and fell in love with the ride instantly. So nimble and agile, cut around corners so eloquently.
I might be a little negative towards heavy bikes bc my previous bike was a vrod muscle and that thing weighed a ton. Got so tired of all the unnecessary weight.
I really don't find the BMW appealing at all. Looks boring and nothing visually grabs my attention.

·
Registered
152 Posts

I used to have an MT-01...and I love bikes that LOOK front heavy hehe in the case of the MT it was brilliant, but 160lbs heavier then the Monster...don't miss the weight, but I do miss the torque of the MT. And I always said the only bike that will make me sell the MT-01 will be a new MT-01, in a lighter version. Ended up buying the Monster, but regret selling the MT, I should have kept both. The Monster is a light agile toy, the MT was a bad ass 1700cc V-twin with 110ft-lb of torque, just can't find that anywhere else (except tuned Harleys and I hate Harleys and sure the Diavel and Vmax have the torque and power, but not the engine character the MT had). Don't get me wrong I love my Monster, but if the MT was 100lbs lighter I never would have sold it to start with cause it simply had one of the best engines ever built.
Never heard of this bike before but I love it already. Going to look into it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts