Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm looking to install a set of small driving lights on my 800. I'm having a hard time figuring out how and where to mount them since available driving lights are designed to be installed on cages :mad:.

I know there is a set that is designed for motorcycles but I don't want to/can't spend $175 - $300 :(. I can get a good set of lights for around $40.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Uncle_Duck

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've looked at that too.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Hey All,

I'm looking to install a set of small driving lights on my 800. I'm having a hard time figuring out how and where to mount them since available driving lights are designed to be installed on cages :mad:.

I know there is a set that is designed for motorcycles but I don't want to/can't spend $175 - $300 :(. I can get a good set of lights for around $40.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Uncle_Duck

you're planning on making the headlight unit look better or more functional? depends on your application

G

·
if you wanna install driving lights in addition to the single headlamp here's an idea...

you know the "U" bracket that bolts to the bottom triple clamp that holds the headlight "ears" which hold the headlight? the horns bolt to the face of this "U" bracket, right? well try taking off the plastic cover that goes between the horns, and see if you can use the same mounting points for the driving lights.

just be sure they don't mount too low or you may have contact issues if/when your forks bottom out (bad!).

or another idea would be to find/make a ring collar to mount the lights directly to the fork legs.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any of you know of any good but relatively inexpensive machinists? I may go with designing a light bar that attaches to the forks...

G

·
Rizoma makes a billet turn signal bracket for fork legs. You might be able to modify that piece to hold a driving light.

I've seen lights mounted on the headlight mount too. It looks good next to the headlight.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Good tip. Looks like Rizoma has brackets for twin headlights as well. I just need to find a dealer and check prices...

Uncle_Duck

G

·
Call Sean or Matt (916) 369.2509 on Monday. They have the new Rizoma catalog somewhere on their desk. We get stuff from Rizoma twice a week. They can measure the OEM monster fork for you to figure out which diameter that you need. Let us know what you come up with. I'd like to see how this turns out. We have a PIAA light catalog sitting around here as well...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed a pair of Halogen driving lights on my Monster. I had a pair sitting around the garage that I had received as a gift. I don

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey MantaJ, can you show a pic? Maybe of one at nite too showing the difference! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks MantaJ. Pics would be great!! Did you have any difficulty installing other than locating the switch?

Thanks,

Uncle_Duck

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ya, Ill try to take a couple pics tonight and post them soon. The only other difficulties besides mounting the switch, was trying to hide the wiring to keep the bike looking as nekid as possible.

G

·
I mounted two off road driving lights with yellow bulbs that I got off Ebay where my horns used to be. I then moved the horns to two bolts holding on the fairing in front of the radiator and just behind the forks, so they are out of sight. Here is the result:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I mounted two off road driving lights with yellow bulbs that I got off Ebay where my horns used to be.
Did the driving lights mount to the horn mounts? or did you have to modify it in some way?

G

·
02S4:

The horns mounted on two theaded holes on the lower triple clamp. I took some aluminum bar stock (about 1/4"X1X"6" or so, could use steel) and drilled holes to match up with the these holes, then two holes on the end to attach the lights.

The lights (there is a pair on E-bay now for $39) have a mounting bracket, and I bolted these on to the aluminum bar and wired the lights so they come on with the low beams (they are on all the time). The carbon fiber horn cover that came with my Foggy covers the bar.

The lights came with 50W clear bulbs, but I instead use 20W yellow MR16 bulbs, since these really draw attention and do not draw as much current. You could use a higher watt bulb, but I could not find 50W yellow bulbs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts