Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have a pic, but my friends painter has this strange paint concoction he calls "chameleon." He says it changes colors as the light hits it at different angles. Has anyone heard of this, or know someone who has it and can verify it does what he says?

G

·
Yes, and it is quite pricey. Looks a bit gawdy if used too heavily. It's basically a translucent finish over a black basecoat. It does change color when viewed from different angles, depending on the way the light hits it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I saw an older model (pre 99) 900SS/CR done totally in this stuff... My wife was totally drooling over it and I was quite suprised to see that, but the stuff is wild... the one I saw at certain angles it looked metallic purple, at other angles almost a metallic rust/orange and of course over the shape of the bike, it blends from one to the other as the shape of the body change so the whole bike is like a weird... hard to describe, but very cool too, maybe over the top... But as I said that was on an SS/CR, more body work, on a monster... just the tank/fenders, could be very cool. I know that they use that kind of stuff on those super custom harleys and I remeber watching that dicovery chan thing with jesse james and they painted a bike green and then did orange chameleon flames... pretty sweet looking in the tv show... definitely the kind of thing that would be different in person than in a picture...

·
Registered
600 Posts

Not the clearest image but I guess it looks somethng like this.

I saw Jesse James using the paint in one of his shows. The color change was quite dramatic on TV but I've never seen it in person. Also heard it was very expensive.

Not a lot of helpful links out there for this product.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
You can buy a spray paint can of it at auto zone if you want to mess around with it - I personally don't like it, but then again I don't like zebra print for my seat cover ;D.

I saw a F-150 painted with that paint before, he said he used the stuff from auto zone (must have used 100 cans) - it actually looked nice for what it was.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Ford painted some Mustangs that color about 5 years ago..a GREEN that turned to BROWN then PURPLE.

real nice...NOT

I think it could be VERY neat if you could get say...a RED to go to a orange, or a black to go to a silver..but I'm not sure you can get that to work. Green to Purple isn't my thing

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
there are different versions of this paint. PPg makes a excellent one called Harlequin. It changes about 5 or 6 colors. any movement will change the color as will light ,sunny to dark. or curves in the metal. My brotherinlaw had his 55 chevy sedan delivery painted when the paint first came out , about 4 years ago . It has won numerous awards. It is very expensive but can be repaired the same as any paint. It does have to be sprayed over a black base. I love the look for flames or graphics(ducati, would look cool on the tank with this) but i dont like it on all the body. Seen it on a yamaha and didnt care for it.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
the ppg does come in a wide range of colors.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a Klein mountain bike that has that type finish, goes from green to blue at different angles, it looks much better than the old Ford Cobra mustang finish. Just my $.02

G

·
I would check out house of kolor: www.houseofkolor.com
they specialize in Kandies, pearls and kameloens. They had their products on Jessie James show once, good stuff, but pricey. With the base and pearl it can go as high as $5000 a gallon. With a bike you would probably need as little as a pint once it was mixed with reducer.

·
Registered
588 Posts
DuPont Performance Coatings Market this stuff & call it "Chromalusion", the company i work for sells it.

I have my rear hugger painted in a colour call "Absolute Purpulene" it goes from Purple, to Blue, to Green to Bronze, depending on what angle you're looking from.

Just couldn't bring myself to change that Awesome Duc Red, but a splash of colour on the hugger i reckon looks cool & it certainly turns some heads when people spot it.

Although it would look Awesome on a Monster tank. You get the best effect when painting the system on a tank or a car that has lots of curves & bends. Painting a Helmet for instance doesen't give a good effect as it's predominatly round. But with all the Curves on the Monster tank, this stuff would look sensational.

I have the color chips in front of me & there are 6 different colour bases.

Blasberry Prism
Royal Prism
Fire Prism
Prizm tones
Jade Prism
Purpleen Prism

Some of them don't change much at all. There is no red's close to the Duc red & the red ones only go Bronze, they don't do the three/four colour thing.

I guess if you rang DuPont Performance Coatings in your area they would be able to direct you to a panel shop that has the colour chips.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Here are G-ride's photos of the chameleon paint

they look like crap compared to the originals he sent me, but i had to convert them to jpegs so there's some generation loss

1 - 17 of 17 Posts