Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard some horror stories of Monsters not being able to stay on the side stand. Anyone have this happen? Can anyone tell me why it happens? As a prospective Monster buyer, it has me a little nervous. Id like to know how to keep that from happening.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Re: Anyone have their bike fall over on the sidest

I haven't had a problem, but I believe this has more to do with certain year S4's that lean over considerably on their sidestands.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts

older monsters have a "suicide" stand that automatically retracts when pressure is taken off it. so sometimes people forget to hold the stand down and the thing just falls over. as for bikes just falling down, that really doesn't happen unless something provoked it to fall. my bike fell cause i parked it on a downhill slope and left it in neutral. the bastard rolled right off...

it can also fall if you park it on hot asphalt. the stand will fall through the soft asphalt so put something underneath the stand to spread the surface area. a block of wood, crushed can or a piece of metal works just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

older monsters have a "suicide" stand that automatically retracts when pressure is taken off it.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts

I've owned two Monsters a '97 M750 (My wifes now) and an '02 S4. The M750 had the auto retracting stand and was dropped by the previous owner giving it the standard left side tank ding. It also stands very up right so on a sloping side street I would park it backwards (facing traffic) for example /| instead of \|. My S4 leans considerably more so in the garage I place a piece of wood under it. The fix for the auto retracting stand is simple though just use a dremel to remove the shoulder of the stand bolt. There are also replacement stand bolts the solve the problem. http://www.ferracci.com/2002ferracci/race_accessories/miscellaneous.html

·
Registered
206 Posts

i have a 99 monster 900 with the "sui-side" stand. it has dropped once on a slight slope in neutral. i now go out of my way to leave it in gear and double check how it's parked.

other than that - make sure to have something under it on hot aspalt and do a visual check before standing up and getting off the bike. i'm used to it now and will prob. have to get used to it not retracting when i ride another bike.

cheers!
steve

·
Banned
3,931 Posts

You can buy a replacement bolt for $15 to fix the 99 and older Monsters. I would rather deal with that minor fix over the issues I've read about with the engine not running when the newer sidestand switch misbehaves.

M

·
0 Posts

I almost dropped mine on day 2 of ownership when the bike rolled forward a hair and dragged the side stand back a tad. When I got off it started to topple but I caught it in time. I've been paranoid ever since.

Anyone ever try one of the centerstands offered? They seem better suited for folk who park in a wide variety of locations.

·
Registered
136 Posts

The side stand on my '03 M800 seems weak to me. If the ground is not level....watch out. My first investment was a set of Cycle Cat frame sliders. A $155 investment for peace of mind. And they really do work. If someone knows of an after-market center stand please post.

Lee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts