Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought one, and it doesn't seem to be correct to me.

It didn't come with it's own O-Ring, so I thought I reuse the old one.

With the O-Ring on, it doesn't screw in past the top. You can still see the O-ring sticking out.

Without the O-ring in, it screws right in, but I don't trust that it won't leak once it's hot.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
rjmcinnis said:
I just bought one, and it doesn't seem to be correct to me.

It didn't come with it's own O-Ring, so I thought I reuse the old one.

With the O-Ring on, it doesn't screw in past the top. You can still see the O-ring sticking out.

Without the O-ring in, it screws right in, but I don't trust that it won't leak once it's hot.

Any suggestions?
Return it? Almost sounds like they sent you the wrong plug.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Just put mine on Wednesday. I used the stock, green O-ring and put it on the Rizoma. Sealed nicely, went all the way in...

I would imagine that you made sure that the O-ring was fully in the groove allowed for it?

Is the bike used? Perhaps the previous owner put a larger O-ring on the stock plug? The stock O-ring on my 06 S2r is green and is very thin.

My stock plug always allowed some oil past it, there was always a film of oil by the stock plug...that is why I wonder if PO put a thicker O-ring on?

Have only done 50 miles with the Rizoma plug in but no oil film yet.

One caution, Make sure the tool you use fits either the slot or holes well. I filed a piece of aluminum to acurately fit the slot. It works well but the color on the plug is very thin (mine is black) and the sharp edge of the slot on the plug already shows some of the raw aluminum. It is only a very slight line and I modified the tool I made by filing a slight chamfer on it's leading edge so as to allow for some lead-in when inserting it in the slot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine didn't seem to be a problem either. Just seems like it will be a pain in the ass to unscrew when the time comes though!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought my bike new, it is a 2007 695.

My O-Ring is thick and black.

Looks like I will go to the dealer and try to buy a thin green 06 S2R O-Ring.

Thanks, will see if that works for me!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
ine didn't seem to be a problem either. Just seems like it will be a pain in the ass to unscrew when the time comes though!
I haven't had a problem w/ mine leaking.

It can be a hassle to unscrew. The trick I use is to put a screwdriver blade at an angle and tap it to break the seal. Then unscrew as usual. s usually enough to just tap it w/ the heel of my hand, but once in awhile, you might need a light hammer tap.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have the same issue with the thick black oring, doesn't screw in all they way. I also made an aluminum tool for it and just screw it in as far as I can. So far no leaks, but would like to be able to screw it down flush. Good tip on the green oring...I may try that out or just try and get a slightly thinner generic one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mudder-DucS2R said:
Mine didn't seem to be a problem either. Just seems like it will be a pain in the ass to unscrew when the time comes though!
Amen to that!

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Old-Duckman said:
Just put mine on Wednesday. I used the stock, green O-ring and put it on the Rizoma. Sealed nicely, went all the way in...

I would imagine that you made sure that the O-ring was fully in the groove allowed for it?
+1

Check that the top of the engine casing is perfectly flat and smooth. I had to flick off a tiny piece of flashing to get it to seat properly.

Mudder-DucS2R said:
Just seems like it will be a pain in the ass to unscrew when the time comes though!
I use a wood popsicle stick. Works great and no fear of scuffing the aluminum. Stored under the seat when not in use.

·
Registered
969 Posts
P.J.'s Parts...can't beat his price or service. Would deal with P.J. again in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
969 Posts
OT said:
I use a wood popsicle stick. Works great and no fear of scuffing the aluminum. Stored under the seat when not in use.
Great idea...plus easy and cheap to find should you loose this "tool."

·
Registered
128 Posts
Old-Duckman said:
P.J.'s Parts...can't beat his price or service. Would deal with P.J. again in a heartbeat!
+1

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Old-Duckman said:
Great idea...plus easy and cheap to find should you loose this "tool."
;D thanks, and it's a great excuse to have to buy a Haagen Daz ice cream bar when stopping for gas!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The green O-Ring did the trick. It is half as thick as the orginal one was.

Fits perfect now, and no leaks after 100+ miles.

PJs Parts is the way to go to get one.

I used an allen wrench to put mine in. Found the closest fitting one, and laid it across sideways... Worked like a charm...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts