Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

This is a bit of a double post, since I've posted in the general forums already, but I'm trying to get a quick response.
Last year I found some metal in my oil -small flakes of golden colored material. I tested it to see if it was magnetic, and it wasn't. Since the bike was still under warrenty I took it to the dealer who disected the top end to check for flaking rocker arms. The mech reassured me that nothing was wrong. He did, however, contact the Ducati Rep. The Rep told my dealer that sometimes they coat the inside of the engine with a certain kind of paint. He wasn't sure, but he believed that that was the cause of the flaking. That put my mind to rest for a while.

However, I've been finding more and more of this golden material in my oil this past year. Any ideas what this stuff is? Perhaps it's bearing material or chunks of cylinder? I dunno, but I'm worried.

The bike is a Monster S4 (2001). It's had regular oil changes and has been maintaned (valve/belts). How often do you have to rebuild these engines anyways?

-thanx in advance!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
How big are they?
Are you finding them on the oil strainer, or just suspended in the oil as it drains?
Are you sure that it's metal?

Just a [email protected]$$ed guess that it's brass, but I don't know where there's brass inside an S4 engine.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah man, it looks allot like brass or copper, or maybe like a gold dust. I found a few chunks (perhaps as big as a mm) and decided to strain my oil and see if I could find more. Usually I find 10 or so pieces on the bottom of my oil pan (the pan I drain into). When I strained the oil I found a bit more, but not much. I also sawed my oil filter in half last oil change and this one. Last time i found signifigantly more specks than I did this time (inside the filter). Hopefully that's a good sign, i dunno!

Oh, also, the pieces don't stick to the magnet in my drain plug. . .

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
rocker arms !! Had the same thing happen to y S4 a whiel back. The dealer blew me off . Now I was stuck with the bill since it was out of warranty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts