Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i finally took the head off the duc and realized that i need a special tool to torque the nuts back down. i have devised a device that should work, but i need some way to weld it. solder won't work, and i can't get it done with a zippo.

anyone?

and before you say it OT...yes this is a lot more work than i thought it would be, but i'm still enjoying learning how the bike works. [cheeky]

**edit**
let me ammend this...does anyone know a machine shop in the philly-west chester area that could do this for me?

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
:D

I was gonna ask how you're going to measure 'torque' with this special tool? Pics of concept? :angel:

If all you want is to weld it, there are several options that might work: an iron-rail/fence place; local trade HS (by county) have auto-body shops; welding (yellow pages).

Keep it coming...

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OT said:
:D

I was gonna ask how you're going to measure 'torque' with this special tool? Pics of concept? :angel:

If all you want is to weld it, there are several options that might work: an iron-rail/fence place; local trade HS (by county) have auto-body shops; welding (yellow pages).

Keep it coming...
it fit on my torque wrench, that's how i measure the torque, just add a bit for loss due to the twisting of the tool itself and due to the offset. after talking to duc-stew he actually suggested the same thing and said he adds 5% to account for it and it works fine.

Mdriver said:
I have a tig machine.
What kind of tool do you need?
I may have somthing that will work without needing to weld anything.
look at the head bolts on your bike. i need something that i can torque them with from an offset. it needs to be 15mm.
ducati makes the tool, it's $300+
it's chaped kinda like a C with a box wrent type thing at one end and a socket driver receptacle at the other.

what i'm thinking of doing it taking a socket and welding the cut off end of a 15mm box wrench to it.

see attached pic for a laugh and the basic idea

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, but i was thinking of using the open end since you can't really fit the closed end in there as easily...and i'm fairly certain you will have to take it off to keep spinning a few of the nuts, namely the front right one. there is basically no room in there.

i have the wrench ($10 for a set at k-mart [thumbsup])
I just need to get a socket

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Not sure if I understand this...but, do you really need a socket...suppose you just use two hose-clamps to join a second wrench to the open-end wrench (lay them against each other and clamp together). The 'second wrench' would be a wrench (box or closed) with an opening that'll fit the male end of the torque wrench...

wouldn't work too many times, but how often would you need it?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mdriver said:
WTF is wrong with Ducati?

FWIW here is the real deal
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=2223&group_ID=269&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

I'm sure if Snap-Off knew Ducati was selling this thing for $300 they would be charging allot more then $28.
i can't get to the site, something is wrong with it.

don't you know that each piece is blessed by the pope himself and then washed by nuns and hand packed in a bucket of holy water by the pope's grandmother?

·
Registered
181 Posts
KnightofNi II said:
i can't get to the site, something is wrong with it.
Hmm..Thats weird, it works for me. Oh well, It was just a link to a 15mm "torque adaptor" in the snap on catalog

KnightofNi II said:
don't you know that each piece is blessed by the pope himself and then washed by nuns and hand packed in a bucket of holy water by the pope's grandmother?
OH. Well who ever said there isn't a logical explanation for everything.
And here I thought they were just price gouging.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.