Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking to see what everyones first bike was and how their experience was with it. Thinking about going with a monster as my first. Been asking a lot of veterans and getting a mixed response. Anyone have a monster as their first? Anyone regret a monster as their first bike? Any experiences you guys could share would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought a 02 620 as my first bike. I think it was a great choice for me. There's enough power to have fun with, but not too much that i'll get myself in trouble super fast. I've leared alot on this bike and think it's a great starting point.

But do you have any other experience on a bike before, or are you just jumping on one for the first time. Also which monster are you looking to get ?

I"m sure the other's will chime in here.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
My monster was my first "real" street bike. I rode an enduro on the road before that. I think it was a good choise for a first bike, well balanced, handles well. As long as you aren't a ham-fisted moron it's fine as a new bike.

Having said that, I had ridden a few bike previously, and ridden off road for a number of years. If this is your first time ON a bike, I would start with something smaller (Ninja 250, 400 enduro, etc.)

·
Registered
309 Posts
my 620 was my first bike, and never really had any problems with it. I also had the self control to keep it pretty tame for the first 5-6 months of riding. If you don't think you have that control, then start on a smaller bike.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
My first motorcycle that i ever rode was a buel blast when taking the MSF course. After getting a perfect score on that, getting my motorcycle license 1 week later and then going up to ohio to pick up my bike that i found on this forum, i must say that i do not regret having a monster (s2r800) as my first motorcycle. A lot of people i talked to when i was considering buying a motorcycle were telling me that anything above 650 is not good for a beginer. I dont know how a m900 rides or an s2r1000 or s4/s4r but i love my s2r and find it quite gentle when i want it to be and have some oumph when i want it to be ( though i want some more ) but as a fist bike (im also 22 so ive done some "growing" up) i think it was a good choice.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
My '01 M900 monster is my first bike. Took the MSF course, and got the monster a month later, after extensive research on a lot of other bikes (oddly not much research on the monster). I was very careful with the throttle for the first few months, a lot more sensitive than the little bike (125cc cruiser anyone?) I had on the MSF course. But after a few thousand miles, it's become very comfortable and natural. I used to commute in downtown Denver, in a fair amount of traffic on a fixed gear bike, and have raced/ridden mountain bikes over the last 12/13 years.

I would definitely not buy a new bike as my first bike, I wouldn't have gotten a monster for my first bike if it hadn't been such a killer deal. Just be smart about it when choosing, balance your level of responsibility/self control with the power/cost of the bike and be realistic about your expectations.

FP

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
New 2003 M1000s was my first bike I owned, although I had rented & borrowed (probably 1000 miles worth) before buying it.

mitt

·
Registered
233 Posts
My 2005 Monster 1000s was my first street bike, and the first motorcycle over 175cc I had ever ridden, AND the first bike I had ridden in over 20 years.

Thank God for MSF or else I would be dead now.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I'm a beginner, my first bike is an '07 S2R. I have about 170 miles on it so far.

I don't feel like its too much for me- I'm actually really pleased with how it handles and responds.

·
Registered
144 Posts
02 Monster 620 was my first motorcyle above 100CC
all other were thou in the catgory of motorcycles.. well kinda like mopeds.. compared to the monster!

but i jus cudn't convince myself to buy anythin else..

i'm jus waitin for the time i'll outgrow the 620 to go for a bigegr one >:D

·
Registered
979 Posts
My 620 was my first bike. I had first learned on my brother's 570cc 1980's cruiser, then took the MSF, then bought the Monster. Knowing myself as well as I do, I knew I would be unhappy until I had the bike I wanted, so I should just buy it first. I look back now and am glad I didn't have a wreck the first few weeks I had the bike, and it's good to see how far I've come as a rider.

I thought the 620 was fast until I drove my cousin's 2006 R6 around last weekend. That things is fast-scary how easy it is to hit 115 in 3rd gear (not that I would know ;)). It was very stable there too, unlike my monster that gets a little squeemish around 90. I can't believe any new rider could be safe on a 1000cc I-4 bike. It's just too easy to go waaayyy too fast on a bike like that. The monster is still a great ride around town and in the twisties-especially with the torque. Plus, the Monster just has style. It totally stands apart from the Replica Racer bikes that you see 8 of per day.

At the altitude I'm at (4,500 ft) I cannot get the front wheel up with only the throttle (and I'm not ready to try clutch wheelies yet-but maybe next summer). Maybe some of that has to do with needing the 6200 mile tuneup.

Yeah a more powerful bike would be more fun, but I really don't need to go to jail and have my bike impounded just for an adrenaline rush.
Oh, and I'll report back after I drive a CBR 954cc here in the next week or two (if the weather is nice enough).

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Back on topic....

My 07 695 is my first bike that I got right after getting my license. You go only as fast as you twist the throttle. However it takes a lot of time to know how the bike will react to you on it and road conditions. You cant expect to be easy on the throttle but hanging off on every turn. Ive got almost 1k miles on it now and am still afraid of getting into certain situations. I go to the local DMV by my house and just ride there when its empty so I can get the feel of what happens when I do different things. Its the best way for me to learn without hurting myself or anyone else in the process.

Alex

·
Registered
979 Posts
That's a beautiful bike. I love the color scheme and the high mount cans. [thumbsup]

1 - 20 of 58 Posts