Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone install the termi exhaust by themselves? I just got mine and I am wondering how easy it is. My dealer said the only hard part is installing the air filter.

I'm asking cause the dealer told me if I wanted them to do it, I would have to take the turn signals off and trailer it in and out due to CA emission and because it is a racing exhaust.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
221 Posts
easy process and good time to get to know your bike.
the air filter is on top of the airbox and only as hard as getting to the battery.
the exhausts are easy as well
the ECU is where the battery is as well (which you have to unhook to change the ECU)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the air filter is on top of the airbox and only as hard as getting to the battery.
the ECU is where the battery is as well (which you have to unhook to change the ECU)
How long did it take you? My bike is fairly new and I only have 300 miles on it. Is there any issues by installing the system when it hasn't even had the 600 mile service yet? Any break in issues?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My termis came with some carbon deposits on the exhaust like it was used...did this happen to you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had different pipes, not termis. so not sure about the carbon. was the box sealed? maybe it was a demo set or they test them at the factory.

It should only take 30-60 minutes depending on your mechanical skill.

·
Registered
83 Posts
696 Termi install

Raux is right about installing the silencers about 30 -40 min. However the ECU is buried under the tank and this can take a while to get to. It is not a difficult process just time consuming. Be careful when you lift the tank up, keep an eye on the wiring harnesses. The whole thing should take around 2.5 hours.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It is very simple...

If you are able to turn a wrench and use a screw driver then you can install them. Installing all three items is just a matter of removing nuts and bolts and re-installing...

I cant believe people pay for these things to be installed, it is very very easy.

Plus, like said before, it is an excellent time to get to know the bike and how it was put together and where everything is

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Raux is right about installing the silencers about 30 -40 min. However the ECU is buried under the tank and this can take a while to get to. It is not a difficult process just time consuming. Be careful when you lift the tank up, keep an eye on the wiring harnesses. The whole thing should take around 2.5 hours.
How do you lift the tank up? I see a lot of screws and don't want to mess things up. Is there a possibility of spilling gas. I got the termis on but I still need to install the filter and ecu and it looks pretty hard to get to and the instructions I received are crap.

·
Registered
221 Posts
to get to the tank. (helps if you run the tank close to empty, not for spilling, for weight)
1 - take off your seat
2 - unscrew the top bolts on the top of the tank skins, two on the side, two in the front (you'll turn the bars to the side to get to them) and two at the back. slide the side skins forward a bit carefully and take them off. take the top piece off.
3 - on the right side of the tank remove the bolt holding the tank on. (some bikes have one on the left side but should not be there)
4 - underneath the tank between the pipes remove the bolt that holds the back of the tank.
5 - at the front of the tank slide the overflow/vent tubes off their connectors
underneath the tank at the back check to make sure the O2 sensor wires is not clipped to the tank (I clipped this to the subframe to avoid this step in the future and better secure it)
6a - put something over the frame rails on the bikes to protect them from getting scratched (you'll set the tank slightly offset on the frame while you work on the ecu)
6b - lift up the rear of the tank slightly and wiggle it out of the two rubber front mounts. (don't go too far and just lift it out a bit) then set it off to the side of the frame a bit.
7 - unhook the battery (good time to put a trickle charge pigtail on the battery)
8 - Unhook the ECU and unscrew it and replace it with the DP ECU, take your time with connector.
9 - change the airfilter by unscrewing the top of the airbox and slide the filter out.
10 - rehook the battery
11 - set the tank back in it's position but don't button it up yet.

should be able to start the bike up at this point... should see "Ducati Monster 696 Racing" (My DP isn't hooked up so not 100% on what it says, but i know it changes)

if all is well, reverse the teardown.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did this install on my 09 Monster 1100. Thanks a ton for the gas tank instructions. Save me a lot of time. Took just over 2hrs following your directions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I followed these steps and it made it a breeze to put my Termi kit on. Thanks for the excellent advice!!!
The only problem I have now is the idle is much lower and it stalled out a few times on me when coasting in to traffic lights in stop and go traffic, plus...the engine light comes on every few minutes when close to idle speed. Once up to speed for a few minutes the engine light goes out. Note that I did not disconnect the battery when I changed the ECU. Is there a reset sequence to do when changing the ECU or did I just screw up by not disconnecting the battery?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I followed these steps and it made it a breeze to put my Termi kit on. Thanks for the excellent advice!!!
The only problem I have now is the idle is much lower and it stalled out a few times on me when coasting in to traffic lights in stop and go traffic, plus...the engine light comes on every few minutes when close to idle speed. Once up to speed for a few minutes the engine light goes out. Note that I did not disconnect the battery when I changed the ECU. Is there a reset sequence to do when changing the ECU or did I just screw up by not disconnecting the battery?
You need to disconnect the battery

·
Registered
13 Posts
dude, not sure about you, but I sent mine to be installed with the dealer, as I was worried that by doing it myself it might void the warranty... suggest you double-check that...

Here in NL the dealer said that if the set would be installed in a non-ducati dealer the 2 year warranty would void.

My two cents.
Lucas

·
Registered
221 Posts
dude, not sure about you, but I sent mine to be installed with the dealer, as I was worried that by doing it myself it might void the warranty... suggest you double-check that...

Here in NL the dealer said that if the set would be installed in a non-ducati dealer the 2 year warranty would void.

My two cents.
Lucas
that's total BS

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the bike at the dealer for a turn indicator/brake light issue the other day (ended up being a blown 15 amp fuse block (light blue one with no test ports in the fuse box) and he also looked at the engine light issue. The mechanic said he disconnected the ECU and reconnected it. He then road tested it and said it was fine and he saw no light. So when it was ready for pickup I rode home in stop and go traffic and the light comes on again a few times and it stalled out twice at idle. I'll now try the key sequence and disconnecting the battery as I don't want to miss any more days of riding by leaving it at the dealer. I'll just try to avoid the stop and go. Anyway - important to note that the dealer covered it all UNDER WARRANTY even though I installed the Termis myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it were my Duc, I would take it back apart, Disconnect the battery, unplug the ecu then plug it back in and connect the battery.
I'm not a mechanic, but I do fix computers for a living and when things don't work right I start with where things went wrong and work back from there.

When I installed mine I did have to cycle the key on and off a few times for it to start idling correctly.

Good Luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts