Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done this on many of my other bikes and have had trouble free hydraulic systems for years. I've not read where anyone has done this on their Duc yet.

At least in Florida, the dot 3 absorbs so much moisture and just grows crud in the systems. I'd have to purge every couple years on my older bikes.

Just curious.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Re: Anyone convert brake/clutch from Dot 4 to Dot

assuming you mean silicone brake fluid (dot5), not 5.1, the whole system should be dissassembled and cleaned. silicone and poly glycol are not compatable. that said, silicone does not lubricate as well, shortening brake component life. it is also a b!tch to bleed. as long as you don't need to bleed, changing brake fluid is quick and easy. i'd stick with poly glycol. most manufacturers have.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I think the bleeding is more system design than fluid. I've never had a problem bleeding anything really, but then I have a mighty vac for bigger jobs. Otherwise just the squeeze and screw manual method. Interesting about the lubrication properties you speak of?? My HD came std with 5, all my Honda's and Yamaha's have been running 5 for at least the last 8 years now without a signle problem.

I did purge and clean the systems well when converting. I guess also, the other bikes had rubber brake lines so were more prone to water absorption than the Duc with the steel lines. I guess I'll watch it and see how it works. If I start to see crud building up, I'll switch.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

I think the bleeding is more system design than fluid. I've never had a problem bleeding anything really, but then I have a mighty vac for bigger jobs. Otherwise just the squeeze and screw manual method. Interesting about the lubrication properties you speak of?? My HD came std with 5, all my Honda's and Yamaha's have been running 5 for at least the last 8 years now without a signle problem.

I did purge and clean the systems well when converting. I guess also, the other bikes had rubber brake lines so were more prone to water absorption than the Duc with the steel lines. I guess I'll watch it and see how it works. If I start to see crud building up, I'll switch.
the only manufacturers that i know of that use silicone are Harley and Avanti.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts