Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyknow know the MD Inspection gotchas?

Just bought a home in Silver Spring, and therefore have to register the bike in MD.

Can anyone give me the 4-1-1 on any MD inspection gotchas?

Can I go to any service station like in VA?

What are the MD reqmts?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Re: Anyknow know the MD Inspection gotchas?

No.. Its gotta be in MD...
Make sure that chain guard is on. The guy that inspected my bike told me to dont even bother pulling it off the trailer if the chain guard is not on.
Thats all I know other than the basics lights, signals, horn. dc

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

welcome to Silver Spring!.....pretty much have to have some sort of fender on the rear with a reflector on the back facing rearward...reflectors on both sides towards the front and back...working turn signals...as well as the usual safety stuff....the problem in terms of inspection stations...inspecting bikes is seperate from cars as far as classification in terms of stations and regulations they follow....most any bike shop does it...try Cycles USA...they are usually pretty reasonable...if you want me to do a looksee over the bike to give you a once over for what they are going to look at and for on your bike...I can do that!

·
Registered
336 Posts

The one more "odd" rule in MD concerns passenger accommodations, it's all or nothing. If the bike has pegs, it must have seat, grab strap etc, and likewise, a rear seat means you must have pegs etc. Seems a little strange, but a couple of times a year we sell a bike with no passanger pegs with a one piece seat and have to get pegs for the MD buyer.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

desmo996 said:
The one more "odd" rule in MD concerns passenger accommodations, it's all or nothing. If the bike has pegs, it must have seat, [red]grab strap [/red]etc, and likewise, a rear seat means you must have pegs etc. Seems a little strange, but a couple of times a year we sell a bike with no passanger pegs with a one piece seat and have to get pegs for the MD buyer.

I think the strap is not required (for example-where is the strap on a Monster seat?-because I had no problems with getting mine MSI'd and no asking for it)....but you are right on the pegs for pillion thing.

·
Registered
336 Posts

True, I think the language refers to non-removal of existing hand holds from the OEM

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts

the monster has grab bars for the passenger, the ones right under the seat. 998 has a strap as there is nothing to hold onto otherwise.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

zooom said:
welcome to Silver Spring!.....pretty much have to have some sort of fender on the rear with a reflector on the back facing rearward...reflectors on both sides towards the front and back...working turn signals...as well as the usual safety stuff....the problem in terms of inspection stations...inspecting bikes is seperate from cars as far as classification in terms of stations and regulations they follow....most any bike shop does it...try Cycles USA...they are usually pretty reasonable...if you want me to do a looksee over the bike to give you a once over for what they are going to look at and for on your bike...I can do that!
Thanks, that would be great.

So I need to reinstall the rear fender, and put reflectors on my license plate!?!

Where can I get the inspection? Do service stations perform it?

Where is CYCLES USA?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

lawduc said:
Thanks, that would be great.

So I need to reinstall the rear fender, and put reflectors on my license plate!?!

Where can I get the inspection? Do service stations perform it?

Where is CYCLES USA?
Cycles USA is addressed in technically in Silver Spring...but is physically in the neighborhood of Aspen Hill area...right at the intersection of Georgia Avenue and Connecticut Avenue

you need to install "A" rear fender...if you have your old one...then that should make it easy ( I am making a modular tail unit to put on a pull off for my trackbike that meets the compliance for state inspection which I'll be doing to that bike after I run it at VIR for the MAD days)...on the rear fender there is supposed to be a reflector....then there needs to be on the sides of the rear somewhere a red reflector on each side in addition to a yellow reflector on each side of the front which is normally located on the fork leg...

regular service stations do not normally do State Inspections on Bikes...the State Inspectors are monitored and regulated by the Maryland State Police...there are different guidelines and items needed for checking on the list for inspection for bikes than there are for cars....car inspection certification is easier for a gas station mechanic to obtain as apposed to bike certification....never hurts to ask a service station that has the yellow "State Approved Inspection Station #-------" sign out in front if they do bikes....but 49 out of 50 times you are pretty much guaranteed a "no"....so any place mostly that does motorcycle repair almost always does state inspection also...not a 100% true....but most times...because that is an easy entryway into attaining somebody's service business for maintenance.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

BTW....where in Silver Spring did you relocate to?...and when is a good moment of free time for you so I can look over the bike for you?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

Im not far from NIH and need to get my bike inspected. I was told today that Potomac Amoco does bike inspections. Highly recommended by Myers cycles in Kensington.

What are the chances of a chopped tail/integrated taillight passing inspection? Just got the "lite bolts" in this afternoon to illuminate the plate. How about dual headlamps with a very weak low beam? How about a vented clutch cover?? Aye aye aye....

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

rgramjet said:
Im not far from NIH and need to get my bike inspected. I was told today that Potomac Amoco does bike inspections. Highly recommended by Myers cycles in Kensington.

What are the chances of a chopped tail/integrated taillight passing inspection? Just got the "lite bolts" in this afternoon to illuminate the plate. How about dual headlamps with a very weak low beam? How about a vented clutch cover?? Aye aye aye....

Thanks in advance!
no clue if Potomac Amoco (BP now) does it...I sell parts to them occasionally...I'll call em up and confirm!....is Myers that guy who has a coupla of Honda Hawks ???

as far as the chopped tail....if it has a tail/stoplite with seperated turn signals and a fender long enough for the plate and a reflector at the bottom of the fender...then you should have no problem....I am stopped right now on my project of makin the fender unit to bolt onto my 98 with tailchop....maybe I'll have to fab it up to rent it out or something?...LOL...Hmmmmmm...but I am making i so I can take it all on and off in 1 bold swoop pretty much...as far as the lite bolts....my only concern is if the inspector wants to be a bit of a prick and say those are not DOT rated...hence why the Buell taillens with the white window on the bottom or modifying your stocker to do the same thing and look factory to illuminate the plate is desireable and acceptable...because it is manufactured to comply with DOT in that way.....dual headlights....depends on which ones...you have one of the offroad use only Acerbis units?...that might not fly...one of the Buell City/Triumph Triple headlight setups for example should...I would see about replacing the bulb to see if that will cure the weak low beam as well as checking your connections to ground and whatnot....if it is too weak...it might fail...vented clutch cover...that will pass...no problem!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

Man, I hate the VA pencant for 'personal property tax' but love then for their safety inspections.

Full tail chop - no problem
No (visible) reflectors - No issues

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

zooom said:
no clue if Potomac Amoco (BP now) does it...I sell parts to them occasionally...I'll call em up and confirm!....
CALLED....talked to Brian up there....their inspector Rick is one of the last that isn't at a bike shop of some sort that is still doing it...and one of the few that does both bike and car....and the inspection there is about $38ish...said they need the bike for 20-30 minutes....I have no clue how strict or loose Rick is with inspections though...I have a general idea about the inspector from Cycles USA whom I previously mentioned...he is relatively reasonable to a degree.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

Blast! Was hoping to throw on the integrated taillight on this nasty rainy weekend!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

Just leave the inegrated turn signals un-hooked for now.... Then move to VA, where you can hook them up, and makage to get away with it.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

yuu said:
Just leave the inegrated turn signals un-hooked for now.... Then move to VA, where you can hook them up, and makage to get away with it.
plug it all in except the turns....leave the external turns on and wired....inspect...get tags...rewire and remove externals....although...in the area's you have mentioned (NIH and Georgia Ave)...I would want bold external signals to say to the idiotic cagers...hey...I am turning here!...and and hey...see my brake light?!?!?!?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

That's why Iv'e got that 'stopper' LED array below my plates... 'Hey! I'm stoppin' here"

G

·

yuu said:
Man, I hate the VA pencant for 'personal property tax'
PP tax is a pain, but you only pay for what you choose to buy. Where as in MD you ger the lovely county piggy back income tax that you pay no mater what you buy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts