Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that of the pictures people post of their Monsters, nearly all of them have had their tails chopped.

Am I the only one who likes the stock look of a Monster?

I think the Monsters with the chopped tails look like cats who had to have their tails cut off after one too many tangles with the rocking chair.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Still go the factory tail on my Monster.

<--------- See

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I still have my stock tail, but it's coming off this weekend.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Still have it, like it, might be a bit different, but all in all, I focus on the riding 110% right now.
Totally happy.

The others look good though.

I still got the original mirrors also.

But in the end, it is Ducati at my garage.... ;D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ryan,

Really...if you just keep looking at the stock tail you'll notice little by little every day...that it's tail is just getting huge! :eek:

Actually when I bought me bike it had no rear fender, so I felt that the backend had some functionality, but after I got the rear fender it just looked like a waste. It just did not seem to blend in with the lines of the bike. So....chop chop chop.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like feel of sand and pebbles hitting my back. The Rat had its tail docked before I owned it. I have heard that the tail extension was an afterthought to the original design exercise

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suspect I may just be so enraptured with my new bike (I've only had for about a month) that I'm not ready to examine its appearance with a critical eye.

That, and I think the chopped tail may look much better in person than a picture on the net can do justice to.

Of course, if keeping my tail stock will make my monster more unique, then I might just have to keep it...

Anyway, Staintunes are my first aftermarket add-on that I'm saving for (thought the previous owner was cool enough to ditch the mickey mouse mirrors for barends and fix the kickstand kill switch...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i was hesitent to cut the frame as well, but the more i looked at it, i realized it just didn't look right with the stock tail.

it's now hacked, strati-style with the flush mount directionals and a billet plate holder.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I have the stock tail on my monster, although i really dont like it. But i also dont want to cut the frame... so im not sure what to do.

-mike
just cut it - everyone who has thought of doing it eventually gives in and chops it off then says "looks so much better with out that thing hanging off!"

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think it looks pretty cool with the tail totally cut. However, if you ride in the rain or in the springtime when there is dirt or salt (depending on where you live, obviously) on the roads, expect a nice stripe of crap down your back if you cut your tail off. I just cut off the junk below the license plate and I'm pretty happy with that. TEHO, tho.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the stock tail on my monster, although i really dont like it. But i also dont want to cut the frame... so im not sure what to do.

-mike
DP makes a Carbon Fiber "Short Rear Guard". Apparently no one has actually bought one though; I have yet to find one picture with the Short Rear Guard on a motorcycle. If you buy one, please take a picture so I can decide if I want one too.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the stock tail looks cool. But the turn signals are a different story. Carbon Dreams makes a tail unit with built in turn signals but they do not work with my Sil motor high pipes.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stock tail doesn't bother me at all - I kind of like it. In fact, I don't have plans of even getting rid of the rear render. On my last bike, I cut my fender off about 2 weeks after I bought it. Being an all-weather rider, I eventually regretted this decision.

I dunno. I really like the chopped tail look, except that I think it makes the body of the bike too short for the wheelbase, and the tailpiece kind of makes up for it.

All that aside, even if I wanted to chop the tail, I don't think I would, since you have to cut the frame. I have a hard time with mods that can be undone. Is the frame one piece, or is there a subframe? and if so, is removeable?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My bike came used with the chop already done. I would have preferred the uncut version with a modified plate holder.

I even wish I had the cut section, could always reattach with internal tube sleeves and a weld to get back to box-stock.

Trust me 20 or 30 years from now restorers will curse us for modifying the frames,

I do today when I spec-restore old Brit bikes from the 1960's.... nothing is more annoying than seeing a rare bike variant that has been cut, chopped, or raked

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
i too have decided not to chop, while they look good i'm uneasy w/ a radical frame mod on mine since it's a Foggy.

i've replaced all the crap hanging down in the back w/ a cf tail piece and an ultralight plate holder/fender eliminator from jake at madscienceproduction.com - no chop req'd, 10minutes work and it looks great (imho). + if i were ever forced to sell i can get back to complete stock on the rear. ;)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
MostroRodento is right, if you hack it, keep the piece.
If you suffer hacker's remorse, a competent welder can return it to whole.
That, and if you do sell it, the next owner can decide for themselves.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
mine still has the full length tail, beer tray and license plate bracket. i did lose the tin reflector thingy. it was just too ugly.
to me , a stripe of dirt up and down my back is uglier than the tail.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts