Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am getting geared up (pun intended) to finally make the transition to go one down on my front sprocket.
However, as the web site guide posted in the FAQ is no longer up, I'd love it if someone who has already done this wouldn't mind looking over my shoulder so I don't learn the hard way that I've done something wrong.

It occurred to me that some of you who also live in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville area may be looking to swap down to a 14T sprocket as well, so I encourage you to join me on a designated weekend to do the swap.

Thanks,

Tycho

·
Registered
704 Posts
hey tycho,

last time i did this it was on an 03 620, so might be a little different with your 750..
as i recall, i had to loosen the rear wheel to get the chain off. also had to unbolt the clutch slave to get it out of the way.
the sprocket on the 620 was held in by a nut and cotter pin arrangement, with a funky shaped washer in there too.
hardest part IMO was getting the chain tension right afterwards.

pretty straight forward stuff though. hard to make any huge mistakes [thumbsup]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did you get this figured out yet? I'm in Somerville and did this to my M900 last fall. PM me if you need any help.

-Adam

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been thinking of going to the 14t front on my S2R. I'm in Winthrop, so Cambridge is just a quick blast up 16 for me (ok, so the tunnel is faster...but 16 is a LOT more fun!)

If this turns into a group of people who fall under the "I'd like to do such-and-suck to my bike, but I'm worried about screwing it up" heading (myself included), and someone with a bit more experience who is willing to watch over us, I'd be all for getting together for a group modding/learning day!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got your PM, but I didn't have a chance to reply before the DML went down for the updates...and now it's gone :(

Don't know if I'll have a chance to pick up a 14T for my bike by the weekend, but if there is going to be sort of a group-thing I'll definitely try to be there so I can at least see how it's done :)

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I am willing to help out. I am Wildbill of RageMoto, but My user name defaulted back to this one. If a few are interested I can get the sprockets and we can use my tools and such as well...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gents,

Thanks for all the responses and feedback. I've been out of town until Wednesday. As it so happens I did the swap last night with the assistance of QFactor. (Thanks again, dude) Herman's comments were dead-on; the swap was pretty straightforward and easy (once you actually saw the procedure). I guess the only tricky part was adjusting the chain tension, which I ended up allowing about 1" of slack on the chain.

Anyways, what a difference it makes! It's the equivalent of discovering 1st gear after all the years you've been using 2nd gear to accelerate from a dead stop. .... Hands down the best mod I've done to date.

While it's great that I've done the mod, I'm digging that there are so many peeps who want to work on their bikes. If one of you dudes have a place big enough to accommodate a bunch of bikes (and would graciously volunteer), I say we pick a weekend for a workshop. Plenty of stuff I still have questions on and would love to show some of the stuff I did...

·
Registered
10 Posts
did someone say somerville monster get together?

I have a new to me monster and i know two other guys with them too, would like to get together for a hangout around somerville!

You guys go to the motomarket on thursdays? Its euro night from 6-8

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am in Brockton, MA and I just got a 14T, I just put the bike into the Dealer's shop for 600 mi servicing last night.
I asked them to mount the sprocket while it was already in the shop, but now I am thinking that I want to save $ as well as learn to do mods myself.
Also got a DP fender eliminator and DP carbon Fiber sprocket cover (the least expensive CF item that Ducati carries).
So, I would love to get advice and assistance from Eastern Mass Ducati riders.
I have 2009 696 with Termi system (it was my reward for returning safely from an Army deployment).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts