Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been asked eleventy billion times already, but I haven't heard/read anything about it yet. Is there any word on a replacement for the 749? I'm quickly outgrowing my 620 and I'm drooling over the 1098 but would love to see a smaller version that I could realistically ride.

-Rob

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
The last edition of Motorcycle news before Christmas had pics of the 848 to replace the 749. Looked good - same front as the 1098. Expected to make its debut at Milan November 2007.

jas

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I've heard of the '08 848 as well.

I personally I feel like that displacement is a little large for a "mid size bike". We're talking 100cc's bigger than the 748/749 motor? That's a very large ~250cc over the standard class description of 600cc bikes...

But you might return that "its to run in a group with other 750's!" But its 98 cc's bigger than the gsxr750.

I hope it hails as many praises as the 1098 but at the onset, I did not get excited to hear it was to be an 848.

Oh, and I'm not talking about the racetrack here - not those classes, but more the magazine classifications. I just mean when you talk head to head comparo's and such. Or at a stoplight and when the guy in the yamazuki says "848?, didn't they use to make a 851 as their big displacement sbk?"

And you look sheepish thinking, yeah they did but this is a smaller bike, y'know, by 3 cc's...

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
ATO Memphis said:
I've heard of the '08 848 as well.

I personally I feel like that displacement is a little large for a "mid size bike". We're talking 100cc's bigger than the 748/749 motor? That's a very large ~250cc over the standard class description of 600cc bikes...

But you might return that "its to run in a group with other 750's!" But its 98 cc's bigger than the gsxr750.

I hope it hails as many praises as the 1098 but at the onset, I did not get excited to hear it was to be an 848.

Oh, and I'm not talking about the racetrack here - not those classes, but more the magazine classifications. I just mean when you talk head to head comparo's and such. Or at a stoplight and when the guy in the yamazuki says "848?, didn't they use to make a 851 as their big displacement sbk?"

And you look sheepish thinking, yeah they did but this is a smaller bike, y'know, by 3 cc's...
750cc twins have historically competed against 600cc fours, just as 1000cc twins used to compete against 750cc fours.

the power and delivery characteristics are different between the two engine configurations.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
ATO Memphis said:
True true, I recall this, but unfortunately where would/does the 848cc bike fit?
same place a 1098 or a 1200 fits right now: nowhere.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
That's kinda what I was getting at.

And i think it sucks. And reminds me of BMW. A bunch of odd displacement bikes that are hard to compare with others. Don't get me wrong, they are nice - but the K1200R? Naked what? sport? not really, it weighs so much, but its fast, well it has a big motor, well it doesn't turn as well, well it weighs more....

"This bike has more power than that one. Yeah, but that's because the motors bigger by quite a bit..."

this logic in my head brought about to this gem of cinema:
"i eat because i'm unhappy, and i'm unhappy because i eat." - [email protected] [email protected]@rd.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This topic has me a bit unsure of myself.

I got the S2R 1000 after having owned a lot of different bikes (see the footer for this info), and have been very happy with my purchase (for many reasons that don't bear on this discussion). It strikes me as a bit odd that some people are using engine CCs, power to weight, dynamic balance, etc. etc. etc. instead of just doing some "too hot, too cold, just right" comparison shopping.

Whenever I hear folks talking about how many flux capacitors this bike has, as compared to that other bike, it's usually time for me to go.

I'm interested in seeing what the "baby superbike" looks like when it arrives, as the 1098 is probably a little too much for my needs. However, when it arrives I'll be asking myself "too hot, too cold, or just right" instead of plotting sine waves (as much as I do enjoy that).

Best of luck,
Ken

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
ah yes, the "goldilocks method." [laugh]

i'm also a bit at loss for "where this bike fits." giving yourself a ~250cc jump on the middleweight competetion seems iffy. and if they say it's meant to compete with 750cc I4's... well, i haven't seen that particular racing series doing much, lately, and only two of the big four produce a race bike fitting that description (correct me if i'm wrong here).

the 848 would doubtless be the more "sensible" option for the street, if there is such a thing, but i'm pretty fuzzy on where it's meant to fit in terms of a race bike.

(i hope that was coherant. i'm listening to the boredoms, and drinking tequila.)

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
KenSwift said:
I'm interested in seeing what the "baby superbike" looks like when it arrives, as the 1098 is probably a little too much for my needs. However, when it arrives I'll be asking myself "too hot, too cold, or just right" instead of plotting sine waves (as much as I do enjoy that).
i know a few guys that could more than handle the 1098 (or the future 1200) that are waiting anxiously for the 848 because they think it'll be more fun.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
zarn02 said:
ah yes, the "goldilocks method." [laugh]

i'm also a bit at loss for "where this bike fits." giving yourself a ~250cc jump on the middleweight competetion seems iffy. and if they say it's meant to compete with 750cc I4's... well, i haven't seen that particular racing series doing much, lately, and only two of the big four produce a race bike fitting that description (correct me if i'm wrong here).

the 848 would doubtless be the more "sensible" option for the street, if there is such a thing, but i'm pretty fuzzy on where it's meant to fit in terms of a race bike.

(i hope that was coherant. i'm listening to the boredoms, and drinking tequila.)
suzuki makes the only "current" 750cc sportbike. the kawi probably hasn't changed in a decade.

under present rules in domestic clubracing (not the ama series or any of the world championships), if twins are limited to 1000cc against 750cc fours, this would be ducati's only (current) "legal" 4v bike to compete against the 750s.

·
Registered
917 Posts
have you guys ever heard of the 853 kit for the 748s? "best motor ducati never made"

an 848 should kick @ss. Torque of a big bike, but revs quick like a small bike. However, I would argue that it would make a worse bike for the street compared to a big bore bike, due to the need to keep the revs up a little higher to stay in the beefy part of the power band.

and if you're not going to race it, who cares "where the bike fits"? (it's already legal in formula extreme by the way). if magazine shootouts are your bag, ducati might not be the brand for you.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
b.h. said:
have you guys ever heard of the 853 kit for the 748s? "best motor ducati never made"
I've heard this, but like you said, a larger displacement motor and a big bore engine are different.

b.h. said:
and if you're not going to race it, who cares "where the bike fits"? (it's already legal in formula extreme by the way). if magazine shootouts are your bag, ducati might not be the brand for you.
I hear what you are saying, and the shootouts in the magazines are not why I am a Ducati enthusiast, however Ducati usually does fantastic in the comparos, making it a pleasant read. An 848 will be an exciting bike but I kinda wish they coulda done more with less.

I hope it looks fantastic to go with the larger motor.

·
Registered
917 Posts
ATO Memphis said:
I've heard this, but like you said, a larger displacement motor and a big bore engine are different.

I hear what you are saying, and the shootouts in the magazines are not why I am a Ducati enthusiast, however Ducati usually does fantastic in the comparos, making it a pleasant read. An 848 will be an exciting bike but I kinda wish they coulda done more with less.

I hope it looks fantastic to go with the larger motor.
I can't imagine it would look any different than a 1098, but who knows.
I've never read a magazine comparo where a 748 or 749 didn't get it's @ss handed to it by the full range of Japanese offerings, but an 848 could change that, just as the 1098 will finally give the other liter bikes a run for their money. about 120 hp, 13,000 rpm, nice flat torque curve, that would make a sweet track weapon.

I see the big problem with the 848 being the price point. around $12k would make sense. still higher than the 600s, but about right with the 1098 being around $15k. but assuming the 1098 and 848 would cost about the same to source and manufacture, can they make any money at that price?

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
b.h. said:

an 848 should kick @ss. Torque of a big bike, but revs quick like a small bike. However, I would argue that it would make a worse bike for the street compared to a big bore bike, due to the need to keep the revs up a little higher to stay in the beefy part of the power band.

here is the article:

http://www.sigmaperformance.com/748-853.html

it ended up a better all-around bike than the 748.

·
Registered
241 Posts
derby said:
i know a few guys that could more than handle the 1098 (or the future 1200) that are waiting anxiously for the 848 because they think it'll be more fun.
Ah, yes... I was having similar thoughts about the 848 being more fun (the 1098 seems like using a cannon to kill a mosquito for my kind of riding). My real hope is that the 848 will be equivalent to the 675 insofar as it is very light, very narrow, and can tie larger bikes into knots (we'll see if they put handling above power as I'm hoping - the "S" version as standard would be sweet, but I'm not holding my breath).

Ken

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
b.h. said:
Because it's probably less likely to be built if Ducati doesn't have a place to race it...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts