Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just gotten what appears to be an older pair of Ducati Performance Gia.Ca.Moto (thanks to Scott Nelson for the ID) off ebay. They came from an 1997 monster, and I have a 2002 monster.

The pipes are in good shape, but I am not sure of how they are fitting on the bike. Technically, they fit. They dont rattle, but they do sort of "splay" out towards the back, and they do tend to be a little twisted, so the exhaust is not straight up and down, but the bottoms are sort of out a bit.

I assume this is partly the fault of the stupid emissions box, and how the rear sets on that side are bumped out a bit, or it might just be due to the fact that every bike is a bit different, and some bending and forcing is in order. Not even sure if anyone would notice.. and they are secure (no rattles).

I only fiddled with them for a little bit.. but is there any trick to getting slip-ons on, or is it sort of a "per bike, per pipes" basis? Should I have to bend pipes?

They sound pretty sweet.. not as loud as I was expecting, but certainly deep and low in the low RPMs, and noticable, but not overbearing on the highway.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... you may want to see if removing the emissions will allow the proper fit... i'd do that before modifying the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... you may want to see if removing the emissions will allow the proper fit... i'd do that before modifying the exhaust.
It's not the emissions itself, it is the fact that the rear set is shaped differently to accept it. The bolt that holds the exhaust is actually longer, and has this spacer thing on it to compensate.

Trust me, I want that stupid emissions thing off there...
Anyone know if rear sets from earlier models will fit on the newer models?

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
All peg hangers are the same. The 2002 and up have a spacer on right side hanger to make room for the emissions canister. Remove those and pipes will be fine. It also helps to loosen all headers, clamps, etc. until all are lined up. Then tighten a little at a time, til it all lines up.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I used photos put up by Chris at CA-Cycleworks as a guide to mount my cans and it appears that there is a difference in the rear sets of his two bikes. I think the later bikes have different holes, bolts, spacers, etc. If you missed those posts, search "scorpion pipes", about 30 days and see both bikes.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Those particular cans can be tricky to fit evenly. Here's how to do it.

Remove the two springs holding each pipe to the can, so you can rotate them to get the right alignment. Put the pipe and can in place, but don't tighten the band that clamps the can. This can be tricky, because you have both those two little screws holding the band together and the big one that hangs it from the rearset. You can leave those two small screws out until you think you have the bands even.

Fiddle with the alignment until you like how it looks. It's easy to have them rotated a little or wedged out or in a bit too much. You may have to do a little bending on the clamp to get things lined up right.

It helps if the bike is vertical when you do this rather than on the sidestand if you want perfect alignment.

After you've done both sides, look closely at them from the rear to make sure they're both even. Once it all looks good, install the springs that hold the pipes to the cans. Then look at it all one more time to make sure it is all straight.

Now go ride the bike and enjoy the new sound. Don't forget your earplugs on longer rides or you'll end up with a hearing loss like me. 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts