Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just looking for any trouble spots with them because its winter up in the north east and i could'nt really get a chance to check it out when i bought it . it seems to run aok and is in 100% mint condition and was a 14,000 mile trade in so i was told it had its routine tune ups done .

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've got a 2000 M750, so issues will probably be similar. The carbs on my bike take a while to warm up before you can really ride it. It's not as bad when it's warmer outside, but I fired my bike up when it was between 35 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit last weekend and even after warming up with the choke on for 6 or 7 minutes I couldn't turn the choke all the way off until I'd ridden it a couple of miles (was riding to my buddy's shop to start doing the winter work in prep for this year's riding season).

You'll get the dry clutch rattle on your bike - that's normal and should be expected. Because your clutch doesn't sit in fluid like a wet clutch, it's free to flap about when you've got it engaged. You'll figure out what it is, it shouldn't be particularly loud and regardless of the fact that other people will point it out, it's normal for it to be that way.

That's my addition on it, anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a 2000 M750, so issues will probably be similar. The carbs on my bike take a while to warm up before you can really ride it. It's not as bad when it's warmer outside, but I fired my bike up when it was between 35 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit last weekend and even after warming up with the choke on for 6 or 7 minutes I couldn't turn the choke all the way off until I'd ridden it a couple of miles (was riding to my buddy's shop to start doing the winter work in prep for this year's riding season).

You'll get the dry clutch rattle on your bike - that's normal and should be expected. Because your clutch doesn't sit in fluid like a wet clutch, it's free to flap about when you've got it engaged. You'll figure out what it is, it shouldn't be particularly loud and regardless of the fact that other people will point it out, it's normal for it to be that way.

That's my addition on it, anyway.
i was under the impression that the 98 m750 had a wet clutch ? i may have been mis informed , but my bike is a tad sluggish during winter starts and it sounds like we need to choke about the same so that is good to know . thanks for your input .

·
Registered
185 Posts
It may be a wet clutch. I recall reading on the internet somewhere that it was a dry clutch, and of course we all know that if it's on the internet it must be true. (/joke)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an 01 750 and the choke is miserable but that is the only real issue. At 14k you should have them do the 12k service unless you have records showing it has been done. Fork oil will need to be changed and the valve clearances should be checked as well as the belts. I didn't see if this was your first duc or not so don't take offense if this is info you already know. Post pics if you can.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi I have a 98 M750 that has done 130,000 kms and still going strong and this Friday I am setting of for Phillip Island Victoria Aust. for the first round of the WSB races, this trip will be about 4,500 Kms my Monster has done this trip 5 times befor, so I know the bike pretty well.
Firstly the M750's have a wet clutch, if yours was manufactured in 97 it would have the slave cylinder on the right hand side and you can have problems with seals failing but if it is on the left it gives few problems.
Second with servicing my manual say's that it should be serviced every 10,000kms valves adjusted every 10,000 kms and timing belts changed every 20,000kms, most of this is just over servicing bull ****.
I change my oil every 5k and oil and filter,check valves (the valve clearances hardly change at all), check belts (the belts that are in it have done 50k, also do not get your belts from Duacti, they are just standard automotive belts) and change brake & clutch fluid every 10k.

Cheers
Jack

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I have a 98 M750 that has done 130,000 kms and still going strong and this Friday I am setting of for Phillip Island Victoria Aust. for the first round of the WSB races, this trip will be about 4,500 Kms my Monster has done this trip 5 times befor, so I know the bike pretty well.
Firstly the M750's have a wet clutch, if yours was manufactured in 97 it would have the slave cylinder on the right hand side and you can have problems with seals failing but if it is on the left it gives few problems.
Second with servicing my manual say's that it should be serviced every 10,000kms valves adjusted every 10,000 kms and timing belts changed every 20,000kms, most of this is just over servicing bull ****.
I change my oil every 5k and oil and filter,check valves (the valve clearances hardly change at all), check belts (the belts that are in it have done 50k, also do not get your belts from Duacti, they are just standard automotive belts) and change brake & clutch fluid every 10k.

Cheers
Jack
Hi Jack
How do I bleed my clutch as it seems to have air in it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi,
Bleeding clutch and brakes is not difficult, make sure there is enough fluid in the reservoir with a spanner just open the bleed nibble a little at the same time pull in the clutch lever all the way and then close the bleed nibble and then release the clutch lever, you may need to do this a few times, keep checking the fluid level.
Also you can get air at the top of the line ( in the pump assembly) to get this out it is much the same as above Just undo the bolt on the fluid bango fitting just a little and pull in the lever and tighten the bolt and then release the lever, when the fluid is clear no air bubbles should be all good, make sure to wash off all fluid.

Cheers
Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts