Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
How about the lack of rear brakes or should I say loss of rear brakes. I've had mine bled by the dealer twice this year and they went away again today. The dealer is talking about ordering a new rear master for it. It's been an ongoing issue since day one.
Yep, my dealer is talking about swapping out the ABS unit. :|

·
Registered
218 Posts
Man I love the naked look. Besides after putting 9k miles on the Monster I barely look at the screen. Surprised they have not come up with a solution though. It is cheezy that such an expensive bike would have that flaw. Thinking though how can you fix it and still stay naked. ANy digital screen will have the issue with the sun at your back.
Cars have instrument cluster concerns with readability, but they always shroud the gauges in a "tunnel". Why couldn't Ducati have done something similar on the Monster 1200?

·
Registered
498 Posts
How about the lack of rear brakes or should I say loss of rear brakes. I've had mine bled by the dealer twice this year and they went away again today. The dealer is talking about ordering a new rear master for it. It's been an ongoing issue since day one.
I have heard about this a few times. I am ok with the rear brake so I wonder if it's a bunch of defective rear master's. I did have my clutch slave replaced once and I heard a few people were having it done as well.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yep, my dealer is talking about swapping out the ABS unit. :|
Sonic coming from a 450 nighthawk in the 80's that had a drum rear brake. I don't have much of an issue with the rear brake but now that I think of it for a disc brake it is a bit weak. Cant wait for another demo day were I can try out a few more bikes and feel out the rear brakes to see if it's a major difference. The rear brake for me works well because I rely so much on the fron and use the rear for coming to a dead stop. I do not go on the track is that were it would annoy a rider the most? I have never been on the track so no idea here mate.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Cars have instrument cluster concerns with readability, but they always shroud the gauges in a "tunnel". Why couldn't Ducati have done something similar on the Monster 1200?
If I had to guess I am thinking it was the cluster from another bike and they do not actually produce it. Cost more to design a whole new unit probably. Thats what anoys me the fact that the bike is so damn expensive anyway and I have no issues with anolog tach and the rest digital.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sonic coming from a 450 nighthawk in the 80's that had a drum rear brake. I don't have much of an issue with the rear brake but now that I think of it for a disc brake it is a bit weak. Cant wait for another demo day were I can try out a few more bikes and feel out the rear brakes to see if it's a major difference. The rear brake for me works well because I rely so much on the fron and use the rear for coming to a dead stop. I do not go on the track is that were it would annoy a rider the most? I have never been on the track so no idea here mate.
Again, as I've said in the other threads, this isn't about having a Ducati rear brake (I owned enough Ducatis to know they are generally shite). My rear brake DOES NOT WORK if the Monster sits around a few weeks. As in "pedal to the floor" doesn't work. As in "can't hold the bike in place on level ground" doesn't work.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Again, as I've said in the other threads, this isn't about having a Ducati rear brake (I owned enough Ducatis to know they are generally shite). My rear brake DOES NOT WORK if the Monster sits around a few weeks. As in "pedal to the floor" doesn't work. As in "can't hold the bike in place on level ground" doesn't work.
That's what I'm saying. NO BRAKE at all. Pedal to the ground and the bike will roll. To me that's a safety issue that needs to be addressed. Yes when it works it's weak at best but it will hold the bike on a hill. My bike also has not say at all it's been ridden almost everyday since it was just bled and it just went away again out of nowhere. It's going in today. My dealer is starting with a new master. Who knows how long that will be before it comes in though?

·
Registered
782 Posts
If I had to guess I am thinking it was the cluster from another bike and they do not actually produce it. Cost more to design a whole new unit probably. Thats what anoys me the fact that the bike is so damn expensive anyway and I have no issues with anolog tach and the rest digital.
Look vaguely familiar? :devil

Just like the brakes, wheels, suspension, frames, exhausts, and many many more parts; imagine how expensive your Ducati would be if Ducati produced everything. I would also fear unreliable to be honest. I'm okay with leaving parts to the experts...Brembo for brakes, Ohlins for suspension, etc. :grin

·
Registered
218 Posts
No, the 1200 cluster is made just for this bike (and the housing is shared with the 821), so Ducati has no excuse on this issue. All I can figure is they took "naked bike" a little too literally by leaving off some needed shrouding.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Back in regards to the cluster using it in night mode during day makes it easier to read.

Rear brake is bugging me, I use the rear for low speed maneuvering. I bled the rear hoping it would help but didn't. I've had 2 other monsters, a Streetfighter and a sc1000 and none of them had rear brake issues. It's something with these models because my friend test rode the 821 and said it had the same problem..

Not sure what else I can try to fix it

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's definitely an issue. Lots of owners on here have complained. Mine has always sucked. I adjusted my plunger out as far as I could and still got no pressure. I then tried bleeding it, no luck. I took it to the dealer and they said "don't adjust the plunger out like that". They bled it and it worked pretty well... for like 2 weeks. Now it sucks again. I'm taking it back again, and demanding a master cylinder replacement.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yep, rear brake is a problem on these bikes. I've bled mine twice (at my expense) and it lasted a little while. 3rd time I asked Ducati to cover expense and they put a new cylinder in. Will see if that takes care of problem and update in a month or so. Air is getting in somewhere, just not sure where. Ducati really needs to research this and recall.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Meh, it's a motorcycle, not a museum piece. I ride it, things break, I fix them. It's the circle of life and whatnot. If any aspect of the dash (glare, scratches easy, no gear indicator....effing a, does the dash do anything right?) really bothered me, I would've already sold the thing.
A gear indicator would have been nice. The new Kawi z125 has one for crying out loud for $3k just saying.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yep, rear brake is a problem on these bikes....
I don't now what the rear brake failure rate is, but since I know of several which have not had the problem, it would probably be more accurate to say that it has been a problem on some 1200's.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just got my bike back from the dealer. They replaced the rear master. The bike was out of warranty but Ducati covered it anyway. What a difference, at least so far. The pedal is really firm and doesn't go all the way down to the road anymore. And most importantly it actually works! Hopefully it will be the last issue I have with the rear brake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No, the 1200 cluster is made just for this bike (and the housing is shared with the 821), so Ducati has no excuse on this issue. All I can figure is they took "naked bike" a little too literally by leaving off some needed shrouding.
I added this shroud from CNC and it really helps. It puts about 1 inch lip around the top of the display and doesn't increase to overall width of the cluster.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 75 Posts