Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If you read through the various forums, you will get a false idea about "common" problems and reliability. The reason is that most people come here to get answers to their problems. Few will just post "another flawless month with my 696"

That being said, my bike has pretty much been a dream, I have made quite a bit of mods to make it suit my personal tastes, but aside from some slightly warped front rotors, it hasn't needed any repairs. I'm looking at the warped rotors as an opportunity to get some new 'wave' rotors, since I refuse to let the dealer keep my bike for a month just to replace them under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dude.. get the bike and enjoy! u might just want to get the 796/1100 if u looking for more power.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine is a 600 not a 696 but had for a year and done 16000km and absolutely zero issues so far other than rear tail light had issues first month till I bent metal that touches globe slightly with screw driver after noticing fit was too loose. The bike is a 1996 model! N done 80,000km now. Passer by last week commented must be brave to ride ducati with all electrical issues. I get similar comments alot. Either they are wrong bout Ducs and the electrics or I have been very lucky.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just bought a 2011 M696

and as other have said it is really a dream with no quirks or mechanical issues. I don't know what standards the dealerships out there have but when I bought mine they adjusted the suspension to my height and weight which was a plus.

The only issue I've had has been "numb thumb" after riding for about half an hour. I hadn't ridden for about fifteen or more years before buying the bike so I think the issue might also lie with me needing to develop habits which take the stress off my hands.

That said, I did buy some spongier grips and had them installed. My dealer is also recommending installing some higher handlebars but I think I will work harder on my riding style before I opt for that. Last weekend I drove over fifty miles before the numbness started to kick in so either the grips helped, my grip has loosened, or my muscles are just generally getting more used to riding.

·
Registered
166 Posts
3rd party fire and theft (my 15yr old one only worth 5k) cost me only $17 a month (Aussie dollar not that much dif to us one ATM). got that insurance when brand new learner also. But helped prob that I was 28 then and not 18 + the 600cc factor over a more powerful monster

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did you buy one? I take my no issues with the bike. Since last post had to replace carburettor and regulator. Bikes is on 86k km though and I got it second hand a year ago so do not know how it was treated

·
Registered
959 Posts
Is it running on both cylinders ?
Did you check the air filter for mice ?

8 Posts
Just bought a 2011 M696

and as other have said it is really a dream with no quirks or mechanical issues. I don't know what standards the dealerships out there have but when I bought mine they adjusted the suspension to my height and weight which was a plus.

The only issue I've had has been "numb thumb" after riding for about half an hour. I hadn't ridden for about fifteen or more years before buying the bike so I think the issue might also lie with me needing to develop habits which take the stress off my hands.

That said, I did buy some spongier grips and had them installed. My dealer is also recommending installing some higher handlebars but I think I will work harder on my riding style before I opt for that. Last weekend I drove over fifty miles before the numbness started to kick in so either the grips helped, my grip has loosened, or my muscles are just generally getting more used to riding.
I also had right wrist issues, my wrist hurt for a week after a 300 mile ride. I bought the spongier grips, and started flexing my hands every few miles. Seems to help. Monster is definitely not a touring bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have deleted my single working key from the M696 Ecu while copying the key in another key bought from ebay, without transponder, which I knew later only. Again bought the transponder and started programming but the ecu is not respondIng to both key now. I have two key with mechanical property only which can over ride the ecu. Can I buy fresh non-programed transponders, fit on both key and reprogram the ecu? Or if the transponders need to be programed first before programming ecu?? Please help.🙁🙁🙁

1 - 16 of 16 Posts