Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to pick up my first Ducati this spring. I used to ride an R6 sportbike but I've since moved on from sportbikes. I'm not really after that agressive riding position and there was just too much temptation on that bike. For the last year, I have just been riding a 1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 that has been in my family since new. It's a nice bike but I need something more modern and with a bit more grunt.

I was originally planning on getting an S2R but when my girlfriend and I went to the dealership, she fell in love with the GT1000. After seeing it in person, I really liked it too. I love the retro styling on it. The dealer let us sit on both bikes and she commented that the GT1000 was much more comfortable too. I'm just wondering how the GT compares to the S2R performance wise. I'm expecting it to be a bit of a step down but hopefully not too much.

You just don't see bikes like the GT1000 out there which really makes me want to get one. I was just hoping some owners of it could chime in and give me their opinions after having logged some miles.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I don't own a GT1000, but do own a S2R1000.

It has the same engine as the S2R1000, so there's not much difference there. Tech specs show the GT1000 has 3 hp less. The gearing is a little taller at 15/39 vs the S2R1000's 15/41. Two piston calipers vs the S2R1000's 4 piston. Non-adjustable front forks and of course less of a lean angle due to the low mount exhaust.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I want a biposto really bad. Something about the GT styling turns me off. I think it's the wire wheels. It's amazing how different the sportclassic variations look from each other.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Breakdown, I've got a GT and the DML guys are graciuos enough to let me hang out. I took delivery with the Termi kit and the bike is great. Plenty of power, and the handling is pretty good considering the non adjustable forks. I am actually a pretty casual rider but am riding faster on this bike than my previous sportbike, a Suzuki RF600r, mostly due to the confidence inspiring handling. My wife commented that the passenger accomodations are much better than the last bike also. I have a custom solo seat on it now because my stock seat is out getting recovered by Sargent. I just turned a bit over 5000 miles on it today and loving it more and more. I do need to massage the front fork to make it more suitable for spirited riding. How tall are you? The Monsters always seemed to fit me like a glove when I sat on them, the GT does have a little more reach and a taller seat height. I have done a few little mods, pics of the bike are in a couple of my posts in the AZDRA section on the DML:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=68766.msg877700#msg877700

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=66742.msg839663#msg839663

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=67512.msg854234#msg854234

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=68681.msg870833#msg870833

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
I rode the GT for about an hour. There's a big difference between it and the S2R. First the tank meets your crotch and not in a good way, next it's way less sporting than a monster. The GT is definitely better for two up, but not as good as the MTS.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There's an article in Motorcyclist on the GT and the Triumph Thruxton.

Having owned one of Ducati's other "heritage" bikes--an MH900, an M750 and now an S2R, I'd go for the Monster. I too looked hard at the GT before I just bought my S2R.

Best thing would be to ride them and then make the decision of course.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice mods on the GT. I have ridden one with the termi exhaust. Sweet bike just add ohlins and it could hang with most monsters. Hope to own a GT one day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts