Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I am about 11 hours after my first crash since I was a dirtbike kid decades ago. Typing with one hand because the other is in a sling due to a fractured clavical. Other than that and a little road rash I'm AOK!

Just wanted to see if anyone is willing to share their crash stories, as I now have little to do over the next 4 weeks, and I truly enjoy the cameraderie of this board and our community.

My story:

I was about three blocks from home when an eleven year old boy darted out from between two parked cars in front of me at full sprint in the Spanish Harlem area of NYC. No time to swerve, brake, or anything. He took me down with him and I landed hard on my right side. Got up immediately and tried to get others to call 911 as I attended to the boy. I ended up making the call myself while still in my helmet, and spoke with the operator about the boy's condition. Don't want to keep anyone in suspense about the boy's condition, so I will say that he was taken to the hospital with a bloody nose and complaining of leg pain. He was treated and released without being admitted, so he is ok. I on the other hand am out of work (and riding) for a month due to a fractured clavical and fractured Monster.

Was in full gear as always, and only ended up with minor road rash other than the break. Slid on the helmet a bit, the jacket has minor abrasions, but that's it. Kevlar and leather rules!!

The cops and EMT's on the scene were amazing, and actually apologized to me for the accident. Every day they see kids and adults jump out into traffic. It's a major problem not only in NYC, but in every metropolitan area for sure.

The guys at Ducati NYC responded as concerned friends, with genuine care for my welfare above all. They came and picked up the bike personally within an hour of my call to them. Gus, Bill, Marcos, Fabian, Irish Mike, Ed, and anyone else I do not know by name...you guys are the best. I will know everyone there by name in the next few days, I promise!

Went to Mt. Sinai (4th ranked hospital care in the city) with everyone including the attending physician telling me it was either a muscular-skeletal thing, or at worst a slight dislocation. When the xrays came back the attending was impressed with my photos, as my clavical was now resting on top of itself in two pieces.

I always say...pain is just weakness leaving the body...damn the Marines for making me such a silly tough guy! [laugh]

Long story short, I'm ok but afflicted with alot of free time over the next month.

I would love to hear anyone's stories that they feel will keep me occupied for a while!

BTW, this is only a short hiatus from riding as the bike is repaired and I indulge in winter mods disease! I'll see everyone on the highways soon! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Chchadder said:
So here I am about 11 hours after my first crash since I was a dirtbike kid decades ago. Typing with one hand because the other is in a sling due to a fractured clavical. Other than that and a little road rash I'm AOK!

Just wanted to see if anyone is willing to share their crash stories, as I now have little to do over the next 4 weeks, and I truly enjoy the cameraderie of this board and our community.

My story:

I was about three blocks from home when an eleven year old boy darted out from between two parked cars in front of me at full sprint in the Spanish Harlem area of NYC. No time to swerve, brake, or anything. He took me down with him and I landed hard on my right side. Got up immediately and tried to get others to call 911 as I attended to the boy. I ended up making the call myself while still in my helmet, and spoke with the operator about the boy's condition. Don't want to keep anyone in suspense about the boy's condition, so I will say that he was taken to the hospital with a bloody nose and complaining of leg pain. He was treated and released without being admitted, so he is ok. I on the other hand am out of work (and riding) for a month due to a fractured clavical and fractured Monster.

Was in full gear as always, and only ended up with minor road rash other than the break. Slid on the helmet a bit, the jacket has minor abrasions, but that's it. Kevlar and leather rules!!

The cops and EMT's on the scene were amazing, and actually apologized to me for the accident. Every day they see kids and adults jump out into traffic. It's a major problem not only in NYC, but in every metropolitan area for sure.

The guys at Ducati NYC responded as concerned friends, with genuine care for my welfare above all. They came and picked up the bike personally within an hour of my call to them. Gus, Bill, Marcos, Fabian, Irish Mike, Ed, and anyone else I do not know by name...you guys are the best. I will know everyone there by name in the next few days, I promise!

Went to Mt. Sinai (4th ranked hospital care in the city) with everyone including the attending physician telling me it was either a muscular-skeletal thing, or at worst a slight dislocation. When the xrays came back the attending was impressed with my photos, as my clavical was now resting on top of itself in two pieces.

I always say...pain is just weakness leaving the body...d**n the Marines for making me such a silly tough guy! [laugh]

Long story short, I'm ok but afflicted with alot of free time over the next month.

I would love to hear anyone's stories that they feel will keep me occupied for a while!

BTW, this is only a short hiatus from riding as the bike is repaired and I indulge in winter mods disease! I'll see everyone on the highways soon! [thumbsup]
Hope you feel better.
:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have had the exact same thing happen to me,
4 year old girl running out from between two parked cars
luckily I was on a bicycle and not a car, I shudder to
think if I had been a car....
anyways I hit the girl with my brakes on,
she got knocked down and I end-oed over the bars and landed on
my backpack.
I got up and checked on the girl with her mom, MAN! what an awful feeling.
Girl was ok and her mother asked me if I was.
The damage? 4 year old was scared, crying and got a skinned knee,
me? well I had 2 Sheaf stouts in my backpack, totally broken and
leaking all over the place during the whole scene.....

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that's a crime! Did you cite yourself for alcohol abuse, and fine yourself to a night of heavy drinking? [laugh] Breaking into a long forgotten bottle of XO here for the late night...

Thanks for the share!! And thanks Tabo for the sentiment!

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also highly recommend RevIt Celcius gloves. Not a single pain or abrasion in the wrists or hands, and the gloves survived the slide with flying colors!
Spared my Oris TT1 from any damage as well (unimportant side note).
Gear up for safety!!

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One final note before I try to end an unrestful night... Took a look at my side roadrash, and not really happy about how it accentuates my love handles... :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
Chchadder,

You wouldn't have happened to be riding near the Bronx Zoo last friday around 5pm??? I was leaving work, my boyfriend rode to meet me, we were riding down 180th when I caught a glimpse of a stock dark dual swingarm monster ( I thought it might be a new 695 dark) at a red light the opposite direction of me.

-michelle

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Sorry about your accident, Chchadder. Feel better man. The Celcius gloves are indeed amazing, but I will try not to test them. The guys at Ducati Manhattan do go the extra mile for their customers.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
That same scenario happened to a friend of mine while he was driving a dumptruck, he didn't realize he even ran the kid over (with the rear tires) till he was 1/2 way down the block, it was in....how can I put this here, an "economically depressed area" and he looked very different from the kid and the local neighborhood folks. They started really freaking out to the point he was afraid to get out of the truck, the cops showed up before it got to riot status. Needless to say the kid wasn't as lucky as the other ones mentioned. Maybe they need PSA's in "economically depressed areas" , the people that live in "economically depressed areas" seem to not get the human vs. motor vehicle thing. I've hit 2 with my mirrors, one at ~30mph and one at a little over 50mph.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I've crash tested my celcius gloves, left them with a little hole in the palm right next to the kevlar (or whatever it is) palm protector bit. Otherwise I was fine though, no damage to me so that was good.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Justin Sain said:
That same scenario happened to a friend of mine while he was driving a dumptruck, he didn't realize he even ran the kid over (with the rear tires) till he was 1/2 way down the block, it was in....how can I put this here, an "economically depressed area" and he looked very different from the kid and the local neighborhood folks. They started really freaking out to the point he was afraid to get out of the truck, the cops showed up before it got to riot status. Needless to say the kid wasn't as lucky as the other ones mentioned. Maybe they need PSA's in "economically depressed areas" , the people that live in "economically depressed areas" seem to not get the human vs. motor vehicle thing. I've hit 2 with my mirrors, one at ~30mph and one at a little over 50mph.
I actually saw a 15 year old girl partially run over by a garbage truck. It was really disgusting, and some of the NYC Garbage truck drivers drive way too fast & reckless. I did not see how this happened, but she was partially pinned under the rear tiring & crying for help. We were inside a bar when we heard a girl who saw it screaming. We ran out & called 911 and tried to help best we could. Luckily my friend is NYPD & was able to check her vitals & make sure she was ok. He told me her hips ballooned out after the pickup truck backed up. I later heard she was recovering in hospital,but I'm sure her hip was crushed. So disgusting.

I had a crash incident when a driver in Manhatten cut across from 2 lanes to stop right in front of me. I think he downshifted too. I had to slam on both brakes & ended up going over the bike and then the bike slid into me. I don't know if the guy was trying to get a parking space or just being a reckless jerk, but he had one of those 2 Fast 2 Foolish tricked out cars.

I had kevlar reinforced Levis & a Vanson summer vented jacket so no road rash, but I neglected to wear the hip pad so I had a very huge 1 foot long bruise to show for it. I dented my tank & wore down the kickstand, left grip, & fairing but the bike was relatively ok. I think it must have landed partially on my leg when I went over or something. My boots were scraped up & I didn't even know I hit my head until I rode home & saw my helmet afterwards.

The good that came from it was that I ended up getting my new bike!
[thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Chchadder said:
Now that it is established that everyone is OK, tell us about the bike. Did the frame sliders prevent significant damage? I'm picking up a new 695 soon, and I'm a new motorcyclist, so I'm pondering sliders. What happened to the bike?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gracie said:
Howd did the road rash occur? Did your jacket slide up, or did you get the abrasion through the leather?
Road rash on the side was from the jacket pulling up, and the elbow was actually just from the inside of the jacket armor.

Industrial_Grrrl said:
Chchadder,

You wouldn't have happened to be riding near the Bronx Zoo last friday around 5pm??? I was leaving work, my boyfriend rode to meet me, we were riding down 180th when I caught a glimpse of a stock dark dual swingarm monster ( I thought it might be a new 695 dark) at a red light the opposite direction of me.

-michelle
Michelle,

Was not me, sorry to say.

Paolo Sepi said:
Now that it is established that everyone is OK, tell us about the bike. Did the frame sliders prevent significant damage? I'm picking up a new 695 soon, and I'm a new motorcyclist, so I'm pondering sliders. What happened to the bike?
The bike is not in too bad of shape actually, as I was not going too fast. A little cosmetic to the tank, front wheel, and exhaust. Right footpeg, mirror torn off. The Rizoma sliders on both the frame and the bar end really did their jobs. The handlebars are bent along with the clutch, but that's about it really. Bike is straight and starts right up. I'm going down to DucatiNY to take pictures tomorrow, so I'll post up soon.

Thanks everyone for your kindness and concern.

BTW...any injury lawyers out there?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Crash stories: 2002 GSXR-600. Trying to keep up with a faster rider on a TL1000R. Lowsided at about 95-100mph into a safety rail. I walked, gear took some rash, we picked up the pieces of the bike and loaded them in a truck. All that saved my a$$ was the fact that I kept my line & inputs steady as I felt the bike sliding. When my shoulder hit the pavement I was ripped clear of the bike and left a hell of a path through some grass & weeds. My next bike was my current Monster ~

JM

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Glad you're OK. Broken stuff (bikes and bones) but there's a lot to be said for being able to come back and play another day. Considering how fragile life is, it's pretty amazing how much damage our bodies can take and bounce back from.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
My only crash happened last summer.

Following friends on route 1b thru Portsmouth ,NH. A pretty windy road. I was last in line of four bikes. We came up to a left turn and the first two took it no problem at all, third bike locked up his brakes and slid into turn...I was approaching a little to hot and braked hard...then thru it into the turn....low sided at about 40-45 off the road and into a grave yard. Luckily it was a grassy area and I got nothing to myself for damage. My jacket had little rocks imbedded into the elbow and grass stains all on one side. My bike ended up about 6 feet away from a freshly dug grave. Bike had a busted headlight glass and a few scratches on the tank. The cc frame slider kept damage to a minimum. I was still able to finish off the ride ...I bought lunch in ME at the light house for everyone cuz I crashed.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I hate hearing about spills.

Get well soon.

My last wipe was about 20 yrs ago on a yz125. I went over the bars, but my left hand got stuck between the clutch lever and grip. Broke some fingers. Cracked my helmet. Trashed my forks.

Good times

rich

1 - 19 of 19 Posts