Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden cruisers mainly for their low seat height. I had a BMW and I hated being on my tiptoes all the time.
I would like a lighter more nimble bike and I hear Ducati's are the most fun and IMO they look the best.
Everyone I've thrown a leg over has had too high of a seat height for me.
I like having my feet flat on the ground. I know people say you should be on your tip toes, I disagree, I never liked that for being able to manuever the bike to park, etc.
The scrambler at 28" seems to be the lowest though

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 1200s and have 29" inseam. I can flat foot without problems. The light weight bike is a joy to handle while moving around the garage or parking. I'm 71 years young but in pretty good shape. I also have a BMW 1200RT and had to lower the bike to be able to flat foot it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’m 6’ but have short legs. Don’t know what my exact inseam measurement is but wear 30” or 32” in most pants. I stand flat footed with a little room to spare on my 797. I think the 696 and 796 have about the same seat height as well. I’ve never been on a 1200 but the 821 isn’t bad for my height and lower seats are an option on the bigger bikes too. Go to your local dealer and have a sit! I’m sure you can find something that works!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 1200s and have 29" inseam. I can flat foot without problems. The light weight bike is a joy to handle while moving around the garage or parking. I'm 71 years young but in pretty good shape. I also have a BMW 1200RT and had to lower the bike to be able to flat foot it.
The lower weight of the Ducati definitely feels a lot better when I've thrown a leg over it at the dealership. I had a R1150r which weighed close to 500lbs and the lowest seat height adjustment was 32.9" and the weight was towards the top, unlike a Harley where the weight is towards the bottom. Awesome bike but was a misery (for me) to maneuver in and out of parking.

The Ducati's have less weight which is great, when we talk about lowering are we talking about shaving the seat a couple inches (which I'd rather not do) or actually lowering the overall bike itself? If the latter, that sounds expensive, and how much lower could it get?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lower seats sacrifice some comfort for sure but everyone is different on their comfort expectations. Lowering the suspension won’t be cheap and is generally ill advised on a performance oriented bike but could get you there. I don’t think you will need either though.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Scrambler or Monster

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
5'6, 30" inseam, Monster 1200. Lowered the stock seat. Feels perfectly happy. You may want to consider an Xdiavel or Diavel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think riding is believing, I need to throw my legs over these machines and see for myself. There's a place that has a lot of Ducati's on the lot not far from me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am 5'4" with a 29" inseam. I have an Evo Monster, and find myself stretching to keep a toe down at times. I have ridden most of my life and even as a kid have always been forced to tippy toe everything I have ridden. I would rather do this that lower the bike. Lol in fact now that the Evo has been resuspended it is even higher.
Depending on what you want, the 696 sits lower than the 1100/Evo's(and the 7xx Monsters too, I think...), and feels quite a bit easier to handle. Can't comment on the newer Monsters tho. As mentioned, the Scramblers might have something in the range that can accommodate.
But yes, the air cooled Monsters have a lightness to them that makes them comfortable for me. Looking back, my VFR with bags would be a rather large pain to handle at my ahem age since my hip and knee issues are beginning to affect my riding.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I still have my original 1986 VFR, and she is a weighty 500lb pig, but such a lovely pig 😂 500lbs. in the mid-eighties for a 3/4 liter bike wasn't considered that heavy though, unless you were comparing it to a first gen GSX-R750.

OP, I don't think a stock Scrambler has a seat height of 28", I think it's a tad taller. You might find a Diavel a little easier to flat foot. I am (was?) 5'7" with a 30" inseam, and I can't flat foot most Ducati's I've ridden except the Diavel. I can get one foot flat if I scoot an ass cheek over slightly or with certain boots, but I'm generally on the balls of my feet when stopped. I'm carrying a little holiday/Covid weight lol, but my rear sag is still set to approximately 25mm, meaning that my shock only compresses about an inch when I sit on the bike. If you are used to cruisers and want something more nimble, you'd be surprised at how nimble a Diavel is despite the wide rear tire and 500+ lb. curb weight. Unless you throw some (extremely) serious coin at it though, it will never be in the weight class a Monster. But you might find the the light weight of a Monster will make it as easy to parking lot maneuver relative to a lower seated heavier bike. My .02

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wife is 5'2 and has a 28inch in-seam. When she wanted to 'graduate' from a 696 that fit her well to something with more power, we realised we didn't have a lot of options. We checked the Monster 821 which on paper has a lower seat height, but found that the water-cooled engine is wider than the earlier engines and requires a wider apex between the riders legs to straddle which effectively makes it a taller bike.
But we did find out that Ducati sold a version of the Monster in the Asian markets called a 795 which was essentially a 696 with 796 engine. More research found a thread on this forum that explored ride-height adjustability, and came with pictures! Using the information from that thread, we have lowered an 1100evo to 696 height, raised a 696 to 796 height (the original 696 sold to my 5'11" son) and later reduced a 796 to 696 height (after the 1100 suffered a mechanical casualty and was retired we purchased a 796 and transferred the 1100's suspension components to it).

This is the original reference thread:

Lowering the suspension of a Monster 1100, 1100evo or 796 down to the height of a 696 costs very little.
You only have to replace 2 parts: The sidestand, and the U-shaped bracket that attaches the rear-shock absorber to the chassis. The front end can be lowered by loosening the triple-clamps and setting the fork height to the same value as the 696.

You can either buy the parts new or used from wrecked 696's.
The U-shaped bracket's official Ducati name is : Shock Absorber Adjuster Holder. They are still available new from Ducati, for around €16.19 (current price at Star-Twin motors). The three different types all have the same "u" section but different length shoulders on the threaded section. The pic below compares the 696 and 796 versions.
696 vs 796 SAAH.jpg 696 and 796 Shock Absorber Adjuster Holders.

796 SAAH fitted.jpg 796 SAAH fitted to top of shock.

Changing these parts out "adjusts' the rear ride height and provides three seat height choices:
696: 770mm (30.4inch) (Part number 829.1970.1A)
796: 800mm (31.4inch) (Part Number 829.1963.1B)
1100: 810mm (31.9inch) (Part number 829.1963.1A)

A further 20mm reduction in seat height can be achieved by fitting the Ducati lower seat (Part number 96776009B) or an aftermarket seat by Sargent ("Performance version low seat - no heat" Part number WS-607-19).
696: 750mm,
796: 780mm
1100: 790mm

If lowering a bike, the corresponding sidestand needs to be replaced or the bike will be at risk of toppling over when parked. If raising a bike they can be left as-is but the bike will lean over further than normal when parked. There are plenty available second hand, but if you want a new one the part numbers of the shorter two versions are:
696 version: 55610481A
796 version: 55610571A

Lastly the forks need to be slid through the triple-clamps so that the bike sits level. Failing to do this results in either too much or too little rake on the forks and affects handling.
If the forks are too vertical the bike becomes twitchy and unstable, if the forks are laid back too far the bike becomes 'lazy' and slow steering.
The 696/796 forks are the same type, so changing from 696 -> 796 or 796 ->696 height is easy and cost free.
The 1100 forks are 20mm longer, reducing an 1100 to lower height is cost free, but raising a 696 or 796 to 1100 height would require new (longer) forks.
Original fork height settings: (Measurement taken from top of fork to upper surface of lower triple clamp)
696: 700mm Showa/Kayaba fork set at 233mm.
797: 700mm Showa/Kayaba fork set at 223mm)
1100: 720mm Marzochi fork set at 227mm)

The 696 also has a lower profile front tyre than the other two versions which contributes another 10mm to the height reduction, this can be compensated for by dropping the forks another 10mm through the clamps of the other bikes.

In summary, to lower either a 796 or 1100evo to 696 height, you need these parts:
696 Shock Absorber Adjuster Holder: Part#: 829.1970.1A
696 Sidestand: Part# 55610481A
And slide the forks through the triple clamps so that they measure 243mm (for 700mm forks on 796) or 263mm (720mm forks on 1100) from the lower clamp to the top of the fork. You can do it yourself or ask a dealer to do it.

One last hint for shorter riders. Have a look at the "Daytona M-Star" boots which feature a built up inner sole with compensating reprofiled upper works.

Here's a pic of two of the altered bikes, on the left is the 696 lifted to 796 height, and on the right an 1100evo lowered to 696 height.

796 vs 696 ride height.jpg

Finally, the 796 also lowered to 696 height, but with the 1100 forks, footpegs and bodywork. Still has the lighter 796/848 wheels though.
20201029_SC Project.jpg

cheers, Keef.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2015 Monster 821 stripe I have a 30in inseam and ride it rain or shine with flat feet...factory seat has an adjustment to a low or high seat without sacrifice in the comfort department.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've ridden cruisers mainly for their low seat height. I had a BMW and I hated being on my tiptoes all the time.
I would like a lighter more nimble bike and I hear Ducati's are the most fun and IMO they look the best.
Everyone I've thrown a leg over has had too high of a seat height for me.
I like having my feet flat on the ground. I know people say you should be on your tip toes, I disagree, I never liked that for being able to manuever the bike to park, etc.
The scrambler at 28" seems to be the lowest though
696 with 30” inseam flat foot all day long. Especially with a fat belly and old suspension. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts