Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am headed there on business this Sunday through Wednesday.

Also any recommendations on good eats/watering holes would be appreciated. I am staying at the Loews Ventana Canyon Hotel of that helps.

TIA,
Dave

·
Registered
512 Posts
Aviation is the name of the game in Tucson -- South Tucson has the big military aviation museum -- Northwest of Tucson is the infamous aviation graveyard.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The Desert Museum is cool. There are some nice vistas from Mount Lemmon.

There are at least three DMLers here in Tucson. Maybe a beer is in order.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Superleggera said:
Aviation is the name of the game in Tucson -- South Tucson has the big military aviation museum -- Northwest of Tucson is the infamous aviation graveyard.
you're talking about Pinal Air Park, correct? Can you go out there fairly easily?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
The cool aircraft graveyard (military) isn't available to public touring. The other graveyard (civ & commercial) is kind of a huge bunch of cannabalized crap. I recommend the really bitchin stuff at the Pima Air Museum outside of Tucson (east 10) if you dig planes. Pristine collection and some really nice warbirds. Not into planes? How about ICBM's? There's a Cold War Era Titan Missle Silo Museum down that way. Don't care for any of that stuff either? I understand that Tucson has alot of bars and they have a lot of beer inside of every one of them!!! DG

·
Registered
512 Posts
> The cool aircraft graveyard (military) isn't available to public touring

Officially? No. Unofficially -- it depends on who you know of course... ;D

Also for motorcycles -- you'd have to check with the locals:

1) Somebody has a giant stash of Ducati parts / fairings / engines / etc in Tucson -- they are always at the auctions in Phoenix / LA buying bikes and parting them. Local mechanic brought me by there once, but the owner was gone.

2) Paulimoto -- machinist that do a lot of the Ducati aftermarket parts are there. They do a lot of "ghost branding" for others also. I can't remember the name on the building itself though.

3) There is a small repair shop doing primarily vintage bikes -- supposed there is Parilla stuff in the showroom (not for sell though).

4) Peter Fonda can be seen at times tooling around town on his MV Agusta F4 1000. A friend said the bike has quite a few miles on it and gets used on a regular basis.

·
Registered
49 Posts
swerdna said:
There are at least three DMLers here in Tucson.

now there are 4 >:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
[laugh] [laugh]

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks folks!

I am here now and have the rest of today and tomorrow afternoon to check out the area.

If a beer is in order, count me in.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I will check out the Tucson dealer (if there is one) and the missles I think.

Is everything rust free here? I would like to pick up an older Chevy and bring it back to PA!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
desmo888 said:
I appreciate all the suggestions. I will check out the Tucson dealer (if there is one) and the missles I think.
Renassaince Cycles is on Speedway Blvd, between Alvernon & Swan. Ducati, MV & Aprilia. Good guys too!

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MonsterDuc said:
and not open on Monday.
I found that out, I'll stop by tomorrow.

Where do I get good Mexican food in Tucson?

Thanks,
Dave
nose prints all over Renaissance showroom windows...

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
For mexican food, the standard places are El Charro and La Parilla Suiza (both with multiple locations). However, if you want the real thing, go to a taco stand in South Tucson, such as Taqueria Pico de Gallo, on South Sixth Ave., just two blocks north of I-10.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
desmo888 said:
Is everything rust free here? I would like to pick up an older Chevy and bring it back to PA!

My dad bought me my first car in Tucson. It was a '66 Chevy Bel Air. I drove it back to back to Michigan without a spec of rust..the first sign of winter and boom!! RUST!! :mad:

Yes..everything is rust free there!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts