Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting close to buying a new 2003 Monster 800. I live in NYC and am wondering if it's a good idea, considering I'll have to park it sometimes overnight on a Manhattan city street. Wondering if the immobilizer is something I could rely on combined with, say a front disk lock? BTW, how are bikes usually stolen? Anybody know? Hotwired? Lifted onto a truck? Locks cut?

Should I look into alarm options? Is Lojack an option? What do you all recommend...other than garaging it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Anti-theft immobilizer on 800/ Best lock optio

The immobilizer will most likely not stop someone from stealing your bike. You've already mentioned most of the ways that bike theft can happen, so they don't necessarily have to start your bike.
Other than garaging, I would suggest good theft insurance and perhaps a ratty looking bike cover that doesn't say DUCATI on it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
"Donde esta la motorcycle?"  >

My first thoughts years ago while walking around the block with my helmet under my arm looking for my bike. I had one stolen from the streets in NYC. Good insurance and whenever possible chain it to something immovable. At least that makes it less attractive to steal.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts

I read a review (Five out of Five Stars) on Motorcycle.com for the Pro Sport Lock. Here's the link:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/prolock.html

They have a review or two for alarms as well.

Uncle_Duck

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

other than chaining your bike to something big and stationary, there is not much you can do. the ugly cover is an excellent idea.

i'm not a fan of disc locks. about all they seem to be good for is helping you to drop your own bike. my buddy did it 3x. the usual method of theft is four guys lift it into a van.

i had lojack in one of my cars. that car was stolen. it was recovered one week later, stripped. the police don't activate lojack untill the paper work is done. even then, very few police cars are equipped with lojack tracking devices.

join DESMO http://www.ddesmoducati.org (great bunch of folks, and costs you nothing) and post asking about garages in manhattan. what you save by not purchasing lojack can buy a lot of parking, plus you don't have to worry about cars tipping your bike over.

·
Registered
73 Posts

about all they seem to be good for is helping you to drop your own bike.
I almost dropped my bike because of the disc lock so I got one of those bright orange reminder cords that strap to your grip from Kryptonite.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts