Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I torque to the first click and stop. When I used to calibrate torque wrenches in the service, they were always calibrated/adjusted to be in spec at the first break (click). So that's how I use my torque wrench.
A number of my moto-racing buddies will torque once again after the first break. What do you guys (and gals) do? What is considered "proper" mechanical procedure?
LC

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
My tech buddies re-torque also. I think it is because they feel the soft materials compress or crush enough to actually require it.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
1 click for most stuff. If I am holding the wrench at a weird angle, or it is a very high torque, I might re-tighten to make sure it wasn't a premature click.

mitt

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I double click most of the time.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
When you say retorque, to you mean

1 - tighten, get first click, then continue to get second

2 - tighten, get first click, release tension on wrench, then tighten again and get first click.

method 1 is a no-no, you are getting a higher value than the setting on the wrench.

method 2 is a santity check, but probably not needed 99% of the time.

mitt

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
mitt said:
When you say retorque, to you mean

1 - tighten, get first click, then continue to get second

2 - tighten, get first click, release tension on wrench, then tighten again and get first click.

method 1 is a no-no, you are getting a higher value than the setting on the wrench.

method 2 is a santity check, but probably not needed 99% of the time.

mitt
I'm talking #2.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
lcduc3 said:
A number of my moto-racing buddies will torque once again after the first break.
I always end up torquing to the first click twice, not because I think it does any good or harm, but because I figure anything thats important enough that 've got the torque wrench out to tighten up is almost certainly worth double checking to ensure I _really_ did do it up tight... I do everything up tight, then before I put the tools away (or before I install covers that cover up important fasteners) I'll re-check them. Even if this thread reaches a convincing conclusion that it's wrong, I'm gonna keep to my usual method due to the number of times I've been _absolutely certain_ I've torqued something up properly, only to find it was only finger tight...

big

·
Registered
40 Posts
"I torque to the first click and stop. When I used to calibrate torque wrenches in the service, they were always calibrated/adjusted to be in spec at the first break (click). So that's how I use my torque wrench."

A friend of mine who is a retired Air Force mechanic told me the same thing, so that is how I use mine now.

·
Registered
650 Posts
ducpainter said:
My tech buddies re-torque also. I think it is because they feel the soft materials compress or crush enough to actually require it.
If the fastener is a harder material (i.e. steel screw into aluminum) then yes it will deform the softer material's threads. However, the procedure should be to back the screw off enough to release all load on the screw then re-torque. #2 doesn't do a darn thing really.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
In my experience, the 2nd try (after releasing tension on the torque wrench) normally won't do anything. On parts where there are 2 fasteners (lower triple clamps), I will go back and forth between the bolts.

edit: thinking about it, I actually do normally double torque most bolts ... when done with an operation, I'll go back and double check most/all of the screws I disturbed.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
bigiain said:
I always end up torquing to the first click twice, not because I think it does any good or harm, but because I figure anything thats important enough that 've got the torque wrench out to tighten up is almost certainly worth double checking to ensure I _really_ did do it up tight... I do everything up tight, then before I put the tools away (or before I install covers that cover up important fasteners) I'll re-check them. Even if this thread reaches a convincing conclusion that it's wrong, I'm gonna keep to my usual method due to the number of times I've been _absolutely certain_ I've torqued something up properly, only to find it was only finger tight...
big
+1. I've been an auto tech for over 20 yrs and I always double check my bolts regardless if I'm using a torque wrench or not. I not going to risk someone an accident because I forgot to tighten just one of them.
MM

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Tighten to a torque setting of your choice or spec with either one or two clicks....then undo it with the same torque setting. That should indicate something - at least the accuracy of the torque.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Shooter said:
Tighten to a torque setting of your choice or spec with either one or two clicks....then undo it with the same torque setting. That should indicate something - at least the accuracy of the torque.
Tightening torque not equal to loosening torque...

mitt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts