Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished up installing my 14/42 sprockets this weekend.

Holy balls.

I'm so much happier with this setup than with the stock 15/41 it had on it. I'm slipping the clutch maybe 65% less now and the engine feels happier all the time.

I also shortened the wheelbase, although it wasn't completely intentional. As I was cutting my new chain the 'perfect size' I measured happened to be on the wrong end of the link and I didn't realize that you can only cut one side of a link before I just barely started popping the rivet out.

So, to not compromise the integrity of the chain I went a half link shorter which put my wheel pretty much right to the edge in the swingarm, with maybe a couple mm of adjustment possible.


The result: now she falls into turns like none other. I like it.

The overall impression I get in terms of handling is that I have a smaller bike. In terms of power I haven't been able to really notice a difference yet because its been all rainy and wet but I'm sure she's quicker, and shifting is easier so that makes me quicker.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,988 Posts
Raising the rear ride height is one of the best mods and the only free one I can think of. Other than that, the cheapest and best mod is the 14 tooth front sprocket. Makes a heck of a difference. I jacked mine up 1 inch in the rear and dropped the front almost 3/8 inch. BIG difference. It turns in and finishes the turn much better now.

And on bikes with the full termi kit (and the deep sump motor) a little extra ground clearance goes a long way.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
71 Posts
Hey Aqua,

Any idea how this affects your gas mileage? I'd sure like to know how much it drops, if any...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll let you know once I get a data sample
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
697 Posts
I like the 14 tooth sprocket for starting out from a stop, puttering up my driveway and stop and go traffic but on the highway it seems like I'm turning the engine some pretty high revs at 75-80 mph. Luckily I'm on twisty two lane roads around here most of the time where I rarely get over 70.

My XT 600 turns lots less revs at the same speed and it has about the same redline.

If I put a lot of miles on the highway I'd go back to the stock 15 tooth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have a tach? If so what kind of rpms are you getting?

I noticed it was a little high too at around 80, but I didn't think too much of it. And what with the wind and all, I can't really hear the revs too well at that speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
I can't decide...

although I am very temped to try a 14t. Slightly mixed on the idea as my Rs only gets about 100mi / tank already and my buds have to keep stoping for me to get more juice. On the other hand, 6th is very boggy until I hit 80 and get up above 4k rpm. so IF i could run in 6th more, it may be a wash.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
697 Posts
Aguacate said:
Do you have a tach? If so what kind of rpms are you getting?

I noticed it was a little high too at around 80, but I didn't think too much of it. And what with the wind and all, I can't really hear the revs too well at that speed.
I have a tach. I'm going on memory here but I think I'm turning 5500 at 75-80. Next time out I'll check and let you know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ducatijoe8 said:
I have a tach. I'm going on memory here but I think I'm turning 5500 at 75-80. Next time out I'll check and let you know.
Thats not bad at all, really.

Update on fuel economy: I've been around 130 miles if I remember the starting mileage right, and the fuel light is now flashing on and off. I think I got 90 miles or so on the last fillup, but I tried a different gas brand that time. This time I went with the regular Shell and I tried out premium just for kicks. So... I think the sprocket change doesn't affect economy that much, and compared to what gas you use, the difference disappears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
LA said:
Raising the rear ride height is one of the best mods and the only free one I can think of. Other than that, the cheapest and best mod is the 14 tooth front sprocket. Makes a heck of a difference. I jacked mine up 1 inch in the rear and dropped the front almost 3/8 inch. BIG difference. It turns in and finishes the turn much better now.

And on bikes with the full termi kit (and the deep sump motor) a little extra ground clearance goes a long way.
LA, any opinion on trading out just the front as opposed to front and rear(going to a 14/42), and have you talked to anyone on the rs with it? Just curious...Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
966 Posts
my buds have to keep stopping for me to get more juice.
I don't think the 14t has altered my gas mileage much. I have had it for 5,000 miles now. You just change up the gears. I usually run mine pretty high on the rpms anyway, now I just get there quicker.

Oddly enough, out of necessity I have used regular gas (because there ain't no premium gas in some of the places I go), and I have found that I can get another 30 miles to the tank with regular gas and no noticeable change in performance on the S2R1000.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top